telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to JigglyWiggly

Re: sb6141, sb6180, zoom5341, dpc3010

From what I can find ( »Zoom 5341G (4x4) vs Zoom 5341J (8x4) and »www.heavyreading.com/document.as···site=cdn ), like the SB6120/6121 4x4 modem, the Moto SB6141 8x4 modem is built around a TI/Intel DOCSIS 3.0 chipset, while the Moto SB6180, Cisco DPC3010, and Zoom 5341J 8x4 modems all use Broadcom chipsets.

Depending on the particular signal conditions at their homes, it seems some people have had success with the Zoom 5341J modem where they experienced issues with the Moto SB612X and SB6141 modems, and vice versa.

EDIT: Here are some posts with particular user experiences with both the Zoom 5341J and Motorola SB61XX modems:

»Re: New SB6121 - Now connection isnt as reliable

»[Connectivity] Mototola SB 6141

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit
interesting, well i've had better luck with my 5341 than sb6120 if that means anything.

to mb, well if you are going to pay around the same price, might as well go for the best.

i am going to see if i can get the dpc3010 on comcast. I asked comcast steve, I mean 45$, way cheaper.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

said by JigglyWiggly:

to mb, well if you are going to pay around the same price, might as well go for the best.

They are all the same, one is not the best, worst or in between, and since they are around the same price, it really doesn't matter which one you buy. The issues people deal with are not really dependent in any way on the modem.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

They are all the same, one is not the best, worst or in between, and since they are around the same price, it really doesn't matter which one you buy. The issues people deal with are not really dependent in any way on the modem.

So are you saying that their hardware is exactly the same and that different chipsets can't make any difference in performance ?

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN

said by EG See Profile
So are you saying that their hardware is exactly the same and that different chipsets can't make any difference in performance ?

Are you suggesting otherwise ?
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

Are you suggesting otherwise ?

Of course !

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to EG
said by EG:

I am saying for all practical purposes, they are the same.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mb:

said by EG:

I am saying for all practical purposes, they are the same.

Absolutely!

The only tangible difference may be more on Comcast's end, in terms of the quality of the firmware download that they use/authorize.

mb hit it right on the head: In real-life, practical terms, no, there really is no difference in performance...

Now, having said that, it may well develop that one of these modems are going to have a better life-span due to power supply quality, construction, heat issues or lack thereof, etc., but the relative internet performance delivery of these modems will be similar within their capabilities (yes, and 8x4 model may be capable of delivering steadier performance than a 4x4 model due to increased number of bonded channels)
--
Deeds, not words

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

Beg to differ. In my experience some modem hardware /chipset combinations perform better, and are more tolerant of less than stellar RF signal / noisy lines / connection quality issues than are others.

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

2 recommendations

reply to PeteC2
Internet performance in an ideal situation is one thing. But as EG stated, in locations with RF issues some perform better.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

JigglyWiggly

Pleasanton, CA
well not really relevent to the discussion but I actually realized I don't need a new modem.
I connected my zoom5341 directly to my laptop and I got my full 115 megabits

when connected to my wndr3700, it slows to 90-95megabits.

I read on reviews it does ~300 megbits throughoutput from wan to lan, but I have openwrt and I read it slows the router down quite a bit. I mean that makes sense, just running top on it, 60 megabytes of ram being uses, which gives ~4 megabytes free.

I will probably try stock fw... which is kind of lame because I have a usb hd connected and it's ext4, and stock f/w does not support ext4, and NTFS is far too cpu intensive and slow for ntfs-3g on this box, and fat32 has a 4gig file limitation.
O well

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
I haven't tried OpenWRT on my WNDR3700 v2, but I've tested it with the stock firmware and DD-WRT. Stock firmware got around 500-550 Mbps throughput, DD-WRT got about 150. Right now it's sitting at 34 MB RAM free.
--
KI6RIT

JigglyWiggly

Pleasanton, CA

4 edits
weird even with stock I couldn't get more than 95 megabits. I just checked after plugging in my laptop and I get 115 megabits(straight to the modem)

and only 1 computer hooked at a time.

EDIT: Oh nevermind, it's my computer or the ethernet cable.
I was running the router speedtests on my desktop.

Connected with cat7 cable to my laptop 120 megabits. 25-50ft cat5e cable to my desktop and 95megabits.

EDIT: Found the issue, link speed with this cat5e cable is 100 megabits and not gigabit. That's dumb. (Windows 8 hides the link speed so much so I forgot to check, it's not in the task manager)
I connected two different cat5e cables with a female to female adapter and they do 1 gigabit. That quality control.
Going to buy a 25ft cat7 cable just because.

PS unrelated again. Windows 8 is garbage, don't use it. (All ut3 games don't work, shootmania doesn't work, the tiles interface doesn't even work sometimes, tested all of the above on two machines)