Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

[MoP] Pet Battles, what do you think?

My blizzard bear almost got owned by a Stormwind Rat. I think this is the part of the game my son will like a lot. I only did one battle... barely won, and my bear dinged. I like it as a way to pass time while forming a raid or something.

Anyone give it a real go yet?
Jodokast
join:2012-05-10

Jodokast

at work so not yet, but my main focus will be to level to 90 first, then ill start getting into the pet battles, im a pet collector so that fits in, also i like getting achievements that i can solo.

really looking forward to doing them

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles

Premium Member

turning in quests in Twightlight Highlands and I see all these green paw markers on the ground so I land and click on one......well needless to say my Netherwing Whelpling got owned by a skunk.

Feralmordius
join:2011-01-18

Feralmordius

Yeah I fell for the same green paw thing. One hit and out.

Looks interesting, something to do rather than fly around stormwind waiting for raids to begin. Although I think it will get old real quick.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
you have to level your pets up, just like the old way for hunter pets, so start in elwynn or durotar or where ever you are
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Immer

to Immer
Yeah your level 1 pet doesn't stand a chance Vs. a level 20+ pet.. LOL

First suggestion is battle level 1 pets just outside the capitals, after level 3 you get to use second pet, level 6 3rd pet, then you have to level each one individually, if they don't participate in the fight they don't get XP.

Fights are rather slow, it will take a lot of hours to get the pet to 25, multiply that by 3 for each pet, then for each type of pet = countless hours..

This is while you aren't getting any XP for your character, only achievements..

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74 to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Mr Chilly is 4-0 so far but I'm still just around Org. I'm not usually keen on the side stuff but the pet battles I think are going to be pretty cool.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Looking for someone with the red version to collect them all.

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles to djlar

Premium Member

to djlar
yeah, fuck that. I have over a hundred pets...not doing that. I'll find one that will have to do.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

Archaeology 2.0

Cake09
Premium Member
join:2009-09-29
united state

Cake09 to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Anyone notice if putting a pet in a cage allows you to then sell it?

I had a little tcg pet habit in the past, that would be some nice easy gold.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Hehe... so, the Armory will show your top 3 battle pets. cute.
djlar
join:2009-04-23

djlar to Skittles

to Skittles
said by Skittles:

yeah, fuck that. I have over a hundred pets...not doing that. I'll find one that will have to do.

There's an achieve for getting 10 or 20 pets to level 25.. that's a flipping boring grind.. perhaps after my 11 toons are 90 and fully raid geared I'll start

Arthritis
join:2011-10-20
Canada

Arthritis to Immer

to Immer
I haven’t done anything with pets, and really don’t plan on it. My son is very interested in this part of it, as I imagine most pre/early teens would be.

Having said that, if this is your thing and you are part of the “Pokemon” generation, you are in for some serious competitive fun.

Based on what I saw yesterday (achievement wise), we have a couple of guild members who are already enjoying this part of the game extensively.

madmike
join:2012-03-19
Waterfall, PA

madmike to Immer

to Immer
My Warbot was taking out the Stormwind rats and squirrels easily.
But i noticed that the critters in jade forest were level 24.

wapu
Broadband Ranger
Premium Member
join:2001-09-05
Albion, NY

1 recommendation

wapu to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
My daughter loves this part. While I was leveling last night, she was pet battling. She doesn't care about lvl 90, she cares about getting 90 battle pets.

I think it is great. It is one more interesting thing to keep people playing. Battle Grounds, Raids, Battle pets, there is plenty for people to do.
Jodokast

Jodokast

ok, so I get the game after work tue afternoon, all i had to do was enter the game key, no download, nothing and *bam* i have MoP. thought i would try out the pet battles and man oh man am i addicted lol. I ended up queueing for two random MoP instances, did those and for the whole night all i did was pet battles. got three pets all level 9

Yes each pet has to be in a fight, simple to do, just rotate them all one round before killing the last pet, so all get xp.

think my pets will reach 25 for acheivement way before my toon hits 90, its just that fun for me.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

good job jodo

Antonica
Premium Member
join:2002-09-02

Antonica to wapu

Premium Member

to wapu
said by wapu:

My daughter loves this part. While I was leveling last night, she was pet battling. She doesn't care about lvl 90, she cares about getting 90 battle pets.

I think it is great. It is one more interesting thing to keep people playing. Battle Grounds, Raids, Battle pets, there is plenty for people to do.

While true, this horribly sucks for people with OCD that want to accomplish every achievement/side project in wow.
Jodokast

1 edit

Jodokast

nevermind

Feralmordius
join:2011-01-18

1 recommendation

Feralmordius to Immer

to Immer
So gave pet battles a real try, it can be addicting. It really reminded me early Final Fantasy turn based fighting.

Basically you get three active pets that have three attacks each. Some attacks provide debuff/buff for x amount of turns. You also can switch to one of your other active pets, however this uses a turn. All three active pets get XP for winning and that's how they level.

You also get a capture pet action that uses a turn and has a chance of failing. I usually switch to my healing pet and just keep trying to capture the pet.

When captured they are added to you pet journal. Each time, random as I can tell, you get 4 levels of pets. Poor/Common/Uncommon/Rare. You could attack a rat for instance and get a different level of rat each time. You can only capture three of each type of pet, after that you need to go into your pet journal and release ones you don't want. Obviously the poor rarity get released first. Each unique captured pets do add to your overall pet count.

The battle trainers are fun. They give your three rounds with three different pets and you have to beat them all to win.

I haven't really seen any pet of mine rare or common being stronger than any other. Every pet has a weakness and strength with certain buffs. My snake is just as strong as my Celestial Dragon.

Just my observation of last night. Only downside was looking at the clock at 130am then realizing it was 300am. Turn based things always seem to be a time suck.