spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rob2k4
join:2004-07-04
Columbus, OH

rob2k4

Outage advisory on TV please??!!

Yesterday afternoon, there was a cable/Internet outage in the Columbus area. Since I'm deaf, I don't have a telephone service and I rely on the Internet connection for communication, I have no way of knowing whether the outage is localized to my apartment or it is an area wide outage. I had to go to a nearby WOW facility to find out what's going on (I already paid the bill a week before) and this nice young lady there assisted me on the issue. She didn't get any information from the computer a report of any outage, she had to call a technician or supervisor to find out. After few minutes, she informed me that it was indeed an area-wide outage.

Now I would rather WOW to find a way and set up a generic outage advisory message transmitted via cable TV, even though the reception might be weak or low, the message must still get through somehow. This would spare me from having to make a visit to the WOW facility to find out.

Please get to it, WOW. Stat.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

1 recommendation

Just_Dan

Premium Member

We appreciate the feedback, and I will pass the idea along, but in the situation where your cable and internet is out, then we wouldn't be able to send the messages to your TV, since the service is down. This could potentially work in the case of only an internet or voice outage, but if your cable TV is out, the message would never get to you, so it wouldn't do any good.

I'm not sure a system like this is possible, but I can mention it to a few people and see what they think.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178 to rob2k4

Premium Member

to rob2k4
Sending out an email would work. Most of us have smartphones or access to check email during power outages.
rob2k4
Columbus, OH

rob2k4

I had Internet outages in the past and my emails never goes out in each outage. As result, a message go into my email program's Outbox, awaiting for me to send it out after the Internet connection is restored.
rob2k4

rob2k4 to Just_Dan

to Just_Dan
Thank you, Dan, but there must be a way to transmit an outage advisory message to consumers via cable TV somehow. The point is to reduce people's calling WOW in panic or anger, or visiting a nearby WOW facility to inquire.
Jeremy W
join:2010-01-21

1 recommendation

Jeremy W

said by rob2k4:

Thank you, Dan, but there must be a way to transmit an outage advisory message to consumers via cable TV somehow.

You need to think this through. If WOW's cable TV network is down for some reason, how exactly are they supposed to pass anything through it? Saying "there must be a way" is just ignoring simple logic.

south1178
Premium Member
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH

south1178

Premium Member

said by Jeremy W:

said by rob2k4:

Thank you, Dan, but there must be a way to transmit an outage advisory message to consumers via cable TV somehow.

You need to think this through. If WOW's cable TV network is down for some reason, how exactly are they supposed to pass anything through it? Saying "there must be a way" is just ignoring simple logic.

I agree. If the lines are damaged or power to the circuit is down, a message via those same lines won't work.

A Message via another means would(Text, Email, etc).

smunro622
Premium Member
join:2006-02-15
united state

smunro622 to rob2k4

Premium Member

to rob2k4
something like this would be great even if it was a text message....we had another outage again in michigan... i dont know what is going on in michigan but these outages are killing me...
rob2k4
Columbus, OH

rob2k4 to Jeremy W

to Jeremy W
We landed on the Moon, didn't we? They said it was not possible to send men to the Moon many years before that.
Jeremy W

Jeremy W

said by rob2k4:

We landed on the Moon, didn't we? They said it was not possible to send men to the Moon many years before that.

That's not even close to the same thing.
rob2k4
Columbus, OH

rob2k4

I don't care! I wanted WOW to start figuring out how to get an outage advisory out to the customers!
Jeremy W

Jeremy W

said by rob2k4:

I don't care! I wanted WOW to start figuring out how to get an outage advisory out to the customers!

The problem is that you're demanding they notify you of an outage via the system that is affected by the outage. I don't see why it's so hard to understand that this is impossible.

dfs
@wideopenwest.com

dfs to rob2k4

Anon

to rob2k4
I guess they could send techs out to knock on doors around the neighborhood.
bsipe9
join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH

bsipe9 to rob2k4

to rob2k4
said by rob2k4:

I think WOW should have figured out teleportation and cold fusion too. What gives WOW?
timf2
join:2012-01-09
Plymouth, MI

timf2 to smunro622

to smunro622
I don't understand how people can have such different experiences with outages. I've had WOW for almost a year now and have only had one outage (that was confirmed as a regional outage), yet some people seem to have them weekly. It seems like these are more localized problems than an overall WOW problem.