matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

2 edits

matcarl

Premium Member

Fios Media Server Soon?

I know this was discussed last December when we first heard about it, but here is an update on the story. There is still no target date, just late 2012.

»www.multichannel.com/new ··· r/139440
DGGSLF
join:2007-04-14
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF

Matcarl,

So do you think this media server will be a whole new box or just a software upgrade to the existing 7232 boxes?

Onedollar
join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA

Onedollar

No way same box if they are planning for more tuners. I dont think the hardware is capable

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to DGGSLF

to DGGSLF
All new boxes. The new 6 tuner DVR (1TB afaik) box is called the Verizon Media Server and there are satellite boxes at each TV. They are connected via coax (wireless in the future) and the TV/DVR content is delivered to them via IP.

Hoping more specifics turn up soon.
said by DGGSLF:

Matcarl,

So do you think this media server will be a whole new box or just a software upgrade to the existing 7232 boxes?

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to matcarl

to matcarl
can existing boxes at as sattelittes?

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

No. VMS will have a server and IP clients. The new hardware will not be compatible with the existing STB's.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

said by nycdave:

No. VMS will have a server and IP clients. The new hardware will not be compatible with the existing STB's.

Is the VMS still QAM-based on the ONT side? (in other words, will CableCARDs still work?)

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave

MVM

The VMS will have an embedded CableCARD to decode QAM (just like the existing Moto 7000-series boxes).

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to matcarl

to matcarl
For the layman, what can the home media server do exactly? DVR I assume?
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

4 edits

nowayout

said by Greg2600:

For the layman, what can the home media server do exactly? DVR I assume?

Think of it as a super DVR/STB for the whole home. It does all of the legwork (with 6 tuners and 1TB of storage). All other TVs in the house get small, cheap boxes that receive the video streamed from the server box. It might also enable streaming/copying to portable devices. (details aren't fully clear on that one.)

Sort of like Dish's Hopper and Joey boxes, if you're familiar with them. The small Joey boxes just receive video streamed from the Hopper.

The benefits are lower power consumption (since there's only one "big" box, while other sets use small/low-power receivers.) Theoretically lower rental costs, since the small receivers are not as big or expensive as normal full-blown DVR/STBs. (One can hope we don't get screwed on the rental fees.)

It also opens the door to using your own equipment or eliminating the need for boxes in some instances down the road. Game consoles, smartTVs with a Fios app, PCs, phones/tablets, etc.

Not all details are known yet. But this is the video that much of the relevant information is pulled from:

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· fVxtsOP8
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to Onedollar

to Onedollar
Thanks. I may have missed it but I don't think that link that Matcarl posted, listed any specifics about number of tuners, etc. But thanks for clarifying.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to matcarl

to matcarl
I would expect the client server functionality to work most like a Dish Hopper/Joey system, or WMC host/ extender system.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to nowayout

to nowayout
said by nowayout:

Theoretically lower rental costs, since the small receivers are not as big or expensive as normal full-blown DVR/STBs.

The only way FIOS will lower rental fees is if their competition in the market are lower. That Im afraid is never going to happen.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to matcarl

to matcarl
I want 8 tuners! and 1TB is not enough. I hope it is eSATA expandable!

IP worries me on how it will look and how the channels change performance will be.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

johnf2

Premium Member

said by nascar:

IP worries me on how it will look and how the channels change performance will be.

Yes, definitively need at least 2TB internal drive and eSATA expandable.

Seems a large household would also need more than 6 tuners especially during prime time network and cable series.

johnf2
nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout to bohratom

to bohratom
said by bohratom:

said by nowayout:

Theoretically lower rental costs, since the small receivers are not as big or expensive as normal full-blown DVR/STBs.

The only way FIOS will lower rental fees is if their competition in the market are lower. That Im afraid is never going to happen.

I wouldn't expect them to lower rental fees, but they have varying rental prices depending on the complexity of the equipment, from $4 to $20. A relatively simple streaming box costs less than a full-blown DVR or non-DVR STB, so the rental fee could be less.
nowayout

3 edits

nowayout to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

No difference visually. It's streamed bit-for-bit over the coax, just as current multi-room viewing of recordings already works. Only now it will be live TV too. Not exactly sure how well channel changing will work. The latency should be minimal, but we'll have to see.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to nowayout

to nowayout
said by nowayout:

I wouldn't expect them to lower rental fees, but they have varying rental prices depending on the complexity of the equipment, from $4 to $20. A relatively simple streaming box costs less than a full-blown DVR or non-DVR STB, so the rental fee could be less.

Ill bet you a bridge in Brooklyn that the overall rental fee for the new Media Server and clients will be MORE then the current MDVR and stbs. Just look at Verizon agreeing to TIVO to now pay montly charges on their DVRS for copyright infringements.

Good Ol Dan
join:2000-05-15
The Villages, FL

Good Ol Dan to matcarl

to matcarl
I think the Mayan calendar said it would be available on December 21st

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to matcarl

to matcarl
More. But not really...

»www.engadget.com/2012/09 ··· elivers/

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to nycdave

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

The VMS will have an embedded CableCARD to decode QAM (just like the existing Moto 7000-series boxes).

nycdave will the new VMS require the use of a Verizon supplied Router like the Actiontec Rev G, I ? Or can we use our own Router ? that would be great.
PaulyIzGod
join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL

PaulyIzGod to matcarl

to matcarl
I have 7 stb's this is going to suck with 6 tuners, I have 2 dvrs, 2 hd, and 3 sd. So I have a total of 9 tuners. This is going to stink if you can't use more.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by PaulyIzGod:

I have 7 stb's this is going to suck with 6 tuners, I have 2 dvrs, 2 hd, and 3 sd. So I have a total of 9 tuners. This is going to stink if you can't use more.

You can continue to use your setup

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

We will await more details, but I don't imagine having the server and associated satellites will preclude having additional standalone STB's either from Verizon or from a provider like TIVO.

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to matcarl

to matcarl
Here's another article on it:
»www.zatznotfunny.com/201 ··· -server/

It gives some important details:

...it reportedly has six tuners and one terabyte of storage. There is an eSata port, but no word on whether that will be enabled or not. There’s also the ability to transcode up to four video streams for playback on different mobile devices.

anonnnn_123
@bellatlantic.com

anonnnn_123 to matcarl

Anon

to matcarl
Pauly - your setup would be considered a dual VMS solution. So you would actually have 12 tuners
DGGSLF
Lynn, MA

DGGSLF to nascar

to nascar
So any idea when this will be available for field trials? How do I get to participate?