how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mcallan

join:2012-08-28
Arlington, VA

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Turn based games may be so 1990s but XCOM was pretty righteous back in the day. Firaxis is set for a reboot of the series on Oct. 9 and has released a demo on Steam for those interested.

Check out the link below(one of the few sights not websensed for me) for a nice teaser.

»www.cinemablend.com/games/XCOM-E···680.html

looks like another game to add to the list.....

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
join:2007-09-18
Gilroy, CA
kudos:1

And the "press demo" play is awsome. currently my favorite is the OXM play. here is a link to pt 4, but you really should watch from the first.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJdQ2vvq···=g-all-u

--
"We are the only intelligent people in the universe." Arrogance 3:10

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KPGHW1A···=g-all-c

here is pt 1.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to Mcallan

oooh, I saw the pre-order on Steam but will have to wait for price drop on it. I'll have to check out the Demo to see what's changed.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

tons have changed. The Demo has the first two missions on it, and the UI needs work for the PC.
But I am bitting at the bit waiting for it. Though I will have to wait till christmas, so my wife has something to get me.
--

primeomega

join:2004-03-11
De Pere, WI
reply to Mcallan

On steam now, we have hit all the marks so you get a free copy of Civ5 if you pre-order. Along with the other items in the pre-order. Can gift it also if you want.

I went back and am playing the remake (ripoff?) of org xcom, xcom extraterrestrial, just to past the time. Really can't wait to play the new one. One of them games that just got to me at the right time in my young days, lol.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
reply to Mcallan

It starts off pretty much as X-COM: UFO Defense.

It was great then along with Terror from the Deep. Looking forward to the new life in XCOM.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
Troy, IL
reply to Mcallan

I tried the demo. It looks nice. A polished remake of a slightly buggy original game. It was fun to play though.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

1 edit
reply to TheRul

said by TheRul:

And the "press demo" play is awsome. currently my favorite is the OXM play. here is a link to pt 4, but you really should watch from the first.

(youtube clip)

The videos are good. LOL, I watched them all. Long live KitKat Chunky.

Edit: Corrected name.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
reply to Mcallan

Review from Eurogamer (9/10):

Version tested: PC

Buy XCOM, it's a belter. I know it's Big Game season, but this is so good I've chalked up 43 hours in four days and want more in the near future. XCOM absorbs you into a universe of Tonka toy soldiers and B-movie science-fiction, a rich and smartly streamlined strategy experience that's a hell of a credit to the design of the 1994 original. Re-imagining? Remake? Whatever it is, XCOM brings back and revitalises a classic.

You play as the Commander of the eponymous task force set up to defend Earth from a new extraterrestrial threat, responsible for both the organisation's overall management and directing the ground battles. This combination of genres is unusual even 18 years later, but works because of the multiple ways the two worlds intersect - the most obvious and irresistible through-line being how the XCOM troops evolve over time, from standard-issue grunts to plasma-wielding psychic warriors in cloaking suits, depending on how research and manufacturing are juggled.

The base management owes much to the original X-Com, but also to Kojima Productions' masterful Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and its Mother Base. The surface sheen is a gorgeous, zoomable 3D map of the facilities you've built, which whooshes into and out of rooms as you burrow into the nested menus - studying recovered alien technology, expanding XCOM's global coverage and training up an army. There are always new things to fiddle with and read and choices to be made.

Particularly when there's contact. Running XCOM is about balancing budgets, but also nations; if there are three attacks in different parts of the globe, you can only respond to one. Successfully completing missions lowers the panic level, but only in that country. The ones left to fend for themselves move closer to mass panic, and if a threshold is reached will permanently abandon XCOM. It's relatively easy to keep nations happy on Normal difficulty, unless you fail missions repeatedly, but on Classic it's a whole other matter. Which nations can XCOM not afford to lose? With 'Ironman' mode activated, which ties a game to a single autosave, I guarantee you'll find out.

"Re-imagining? Remake? Whatever it is, XCOM brings back and revitalises a classic."

This is your typical viewpoint during battle, here giving a great view of a Cyberdisc that's flown in behind my position and started a merry massacre of the poor troops.

The campaign is structured around responding to semi-random alien alerts - which may involve countering an abduction attempt, investigating a crash site, disarming bombs or rescuing VIPs. But the general rule is kill the aliens. The turn-based battles are XCOM's real meat, its 3D environments viewed primarily from an isometric perspective but jazzed up considerably by zoomed-in combat targeting reminiscent of Fallout 3's VATS mode. The drama cam also toggles when troops are dashing to cover or a new cluster of enemies is spotted, and even though it's an illusion, it gives a coat of dynamism to the piecemeal strategising.

Levels draw from a fixed map pool, with plenty of variation in the layouts and cover opportunities, but what keeps them fresh is the randomised enemy placement. The invasion force can be anywhere, on any mission.

XCOM's aliens are an ever-expanding grotesquerie of bulbous heads and B-movie nightmares and operate in groups with particular styles of combat. Sectoids, the earliest opponents, are pathetic individually but in large clusters can buff each other and overwhelm standoffish assaults. The Berserkers will charge straight for anyone shooting them, breaking out of the turn-based pattern and forcing an immediate takedown (or messy consequences). Others will flank you by air, unleash devastating one-shot laser barrages or eviscerate a squad member and implant their still-twitching corpse with an egg.

"Capable of annihilating lone units and pouncing on bad positions, the aliens are at their most terrifying when you can't see them."

The XCOM base is really just a tremendously slick interface, with everything you need to do only a click or two away. Advice: don't underestimate the importance of satellite coverage.

The characteristic they share, in other words, is an ability to kill XCOM operatives very quickly. Taking fire of any kind is always a bad thing, and what makes the aliens so scary is how effectively they identify exposed units - or that one super-unit your entire strategy depends upon. What gets you killed in XCOM is failing to check a corner, or moving too far forwards, or taking a risk and failing to make the shot. The fog of war shows general shapes like cars or walls, but mistaking that for a licence to move in is a sure way to the grave. Movement has to be slow, measured, covering every angle with the 'Overwatch' ability to catch enemies bursting from cover. Capable of annihilating lone units and pouncing on bad positions, the aliens are at their most terrifying when you can't see them.

This sense of tension is manifested in the fact that troops can panic; a 'Will' stat shows how strong-minded each individual is and under extreme pressure anyone can crack. When a soldier panics, he or she performs a random action (which may include shooting an enemy or team-mate) and misses a turn.

I was once assaulting the control room of a crashed UFO. Two assault troopers, two snipers covering the door, one support class. I open the door and the support goes down under a barrage of laser fire - one of the assault troops panics, runs into the room, and is easily picked off. His mate panics at seeing this, and then he runs into the room. He promptly dies, one of my snipers gets mind-controlled, and the last sniper finally snaps and just hunkers down, gibbering. No-one came home. Having troops panic isn't always quite so dramatic, but boy does it have its moments.

"Multiplayer... feels a little lightweight, because despite ranked matches there's no real long-term structure, but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that it allows for fantastic matches."

Ever since Perfect Dark, I've despised 'greys'. In XCOM these are Sectoids - low health, but capable of a dastardly 'mind-merge' with allied troops that ups their health and crit rate.

Not least because death is an inconvenience. Soldiers level up over time, as they did in the original, along a neatly worked out set of classes with branching ability paths. Abilities work on cooldowns and range from letting Assault troops shoot after dashing to giving snipers grenade-like scanners or multiple shots in a turn. The little boosts pile up with rank, meaning experienced squad members are so much more capable than new recruits that losing them - or anyone, really - weakens XCOM for much more than one mission. Later in the game, barracks upgrades plus generally better equipment can soften the blow of losing a veteran, but it always hurts. God speed Marco 'D.O.A.' Bettini and your 71 kills.

These abilities are perfectly pitched against the innate skills of the aliens, a pack of situational gambits seen at their fullest in multiplayer. Both players get the same amount of credits to spend on a team, and then buy and customise pre-packaged versions of the campaign units. You can go in with one Ethereal and a couple of heavies, running distraction while turning the other team against itself, or go in with three Sectoids mind-merged with three snipers for a crit-heavy glass cannon. The psychic abilities in particular, which only appear near the end of the solo campaign, find their true home here: making a buddy's grunts panic never gets old. The mode feels a little lightweight, because despite ranked matches there's no real long-term structure, but that shouldn't overshadow the fact that it allows for fantastic matches.

XCOM's focus is on single-player, though, and rightly so. One of the best surprises is the scriptwriting (by one Scott Wittbecker): a snappy mixture of military designations, sci-fi jargon and salty battle dialogue. The substantial campaign is challenging enough on Normal, with a big leap in enemy threat and movement on Classic - both of which are enhanced immeasurably by Ironman mode, which removes the temptation to save-cheat. The last difficulty level, Impossible, is aptly named.

"This game is a winner. So much craft has gone into its atmosphere, into innumerable small details that together add enormous depth and flavour to the world."

The music, I almost forgot the music! XCOM's main battle theme is an incredible piece of work, an urgent military drumbeat battering up and against heavy electronic waves. Five stars would listen again.

This game is a winner. So much craft has gone into its atmosphere, into innumerable small details that together add enormous depth and flavour to the world: the occasional conversations overheard while fiddling around in the base; the mission loading screen, which gives you a view of the troops inside the carrier, fidgeting and tapping their feet in transit; the ridiculously cute touch of soldiers acquiring nicknames like 'Longshot' or 'Odin' after a few missions; the memorial room for fallen warriors, with a cork board of photos on the wall, which records their names - and the fact that visiting it triggers, after a few seconds, the sound of a bagpipe march.

Near the campaign's end, there's a direct tribute to the original game's designers, the Gollop brothers, accompanied by an achievement called 'On the Shoulders of Giants'. It's a beautiful touch, a nod from one development team to another across the generations. They have something in common now. In their own time and place, each made a fantastic game called XCOM.

--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

yea I read they added an MP mode, No surprise its lacking though. XCOM has always been about busting aliens, getting their technology while keeping nations funding you and then going and blowing up their base on Cyndonia, Mars. Or at least that is how the Playstation version went.(Yes I actually had the mouse for the PSX and XCOM. PC version is far superior if anything because it loaded so much faster. Playstation one late in the game you could go make dinner while awaiting it to load a battle screen.)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

Supposedly, taken from the comments section under the review on Eurogamer, the game actually seems to feel better played with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

Review from IGN (8.2/10):

Imagine that aliens are invading the Earth and you’ve been put in charge of the defense of the entire planet. That daunting proposition is at the heart of XCOM Enemy Unknown, the latest strategy game from Firaxis and 2K. Players manage the paramilitary XCOM project, deciding what new projects to research and what new technology to produce so that the XCOM troopers go into battle with the best equipment possible. Do well and the funding nations will pour even more money into the XCOM project. Do poorly and the nations will pull out, leaving the project with even fewer resources to fight back the alien invasion.

The absolute best aspect of XCOM is the sense that there’s never enough time or resources to do everything that needs to be done. Do you pull a trooper off of active duty to undergo psionic training or do you keep him out in the field where he can get better at his core skills? Do you spend your budget producing satellites to help locate UFOs or do you spend that same money producing interceptors to be sure you can shoot down the few UFOs you do locate? Every moment of XCOM is defined by these either/or decisions where every move involves some sort of sacrifice or compromise. When you combine that with the overall tone of the game, which emphasizes a DEFCON style countdown to a complete alien takeover, the whole experience is fantastically tense and engaging.

Unfortunately, in order to create that tension XCOM ramps up the difficulty and leaves you in the dark about some pretty important goals. That doesn’t necessarily count that as a criticism, because the pressure of having to keep pace with the escalating threat and learning from your catastrophic mistakes is part of the game’s charm. Still, a few of the essential choices are presented in an either/or format and you may not realize the choice you ought to have made until it’s too late to do anything about it. Even your basic goals are largely open-ended at the beginning of the game, despite the presence of key research and infrastructure decisions that are vital to your early success. It’s best to think of your first game as a learning experience.

You want to make the right decisions because that’s what’s going to keep your soldiers alive. In between the strategic management phases, you’ll lead small squads of XCOM soldiers in turn-based tactical battles in a variety of locations – from cities to fields to highways to alien bases. As your soldiers gain experience, they also unlock valuable promotions that open up new abilities. It’s a great system, not only because it gives you a constant sense of progression as you open up new powers, but also because it allows you to tailor each soldier’s abilities to your own playstyle. For the ultimate in personal attachment, you can even rename your soldiers and change their appearance to match your friends or co-workers. There’s nothing worse than seeing your best friend fall under a hail of plasma fire.

The missions are challenging, primarily because of the enemy AI and the way the individual enemies are designed. The thick-skinned Mutons, for instance, not only have thick armor, but can even become enraged and interrupt your turn with powerful cries that make your weaker-willed soldiers panic. The emaciated Ethereals can use psionic powers to shield themselves and even take control of your own units, forcing you into the terrible position of having to take down one of your own soldiers. Since each type of enemy has different abilities, you really have to adapt to each and every encounter, which is made even more challenging when more than one type of enemy gets involved in the battle. Choose poorly and you could be bringing home your soldiers in body bags.

Death is a big deal in XCOM and, by midway through the game, your Memorial to fallen soldiers, complete with bagpipe music, should have plenty of names on it. At harder difficulty levels, it can be tough to recover from the death of an experienced officer, but the tactical game virtually requires that death be a real and, more importantly, a recoverable error for you. It’s all part of that feeling of being two steps behind the aliens and frantically trying to catch up. Thankfully, later in the game, your new advancements and high-level recruiting options mean the project can still live on even if two of your best Majors suddenly die in the field.

Within the framework of what XCOM is trying to do, there are really only two serious missteps in the tactical game. The first is that the enemies don’t seem very mobile until they see or hear you, meaning they won’t ever really surprise you. They simply sit and wait for you to get into their line of sight before moving to attack. This makes most of the levels in the game feel a bit like haunted houses, where the scares just sit and wait for you to come by. You’re generally free to reload and heal up in between taking on these small groups, which lessens the mission’s tension. To cheat around the possible exploitation of the aliens’ immobility, XCOM actually gives them a free move phase the first time they’re discovered. It’s an inelegant solution to the problem of predictable enemy placement.

The lack of elbow room compounds that problem. Instead of letting players exercise their tactical muscle through maneuver and exploration, here the tactical decisions are heavily weighted towards just picking the right abilities and managing your cover. This tendency leaves you essentially playing an RPG that feels more like a cover-based shooter than a strategy game. To be fair, position matters and you can flank enemies and destroy their cover, but there’s never enough room to really get inventive with your tactical positioning.

That said, the sheer destructibility of those environments is phenomenal. By the time you and the aliens have finished shooting it out you’ll have set cars on fire with your laser fire, blown walls out of supermarkets with rockets, and exploded rows of gas pumps with an errant grenade. It really sells the power and intensity of the battle to see these buildings reduced to flaming rubble. Better still, the cover created or destroyed during the battle can quickly change the tactical situation, which adds a much needed unpredictability to the battlefield and slightly alleviates the predictability of the enemy placement and lack of maneuver space.

So far, this review has avoided direct comparisons between this game and the original 1994 Microprose classic, partly because the expectations of today’s gamers are slightly different, but mostly because this title deserves to be judged on its own merits. But for those of you who were fans of the original, you should know the remake shares many of the themes and mechanics of the original but it’s still not as deep, tactically speaking. The streamlining certainly makes for a more convenient overall experience, but some of the finer details and sense of control have been lost.

Recently Firaxis has been very willing to try new things with its franchises, and it’s great to see both the revival of the XCOM franchise and the extension of strategy games on the consoles. You’re still likely to want a bit more depth and surprise in the tactical game, but the campaign is full of tense moments that are sure to keep you coming back for more.

The Verdict

XCOM is a great addition to the strategy genre, complete with an engaging campaign full of tension and challenges. The characters grow in satisfying ways, but the tactical game doesn't ever quite give players enough room to make the most of their abilities.

--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to Mcallan

What I do not like the the game play hours. I have been reading more and more now of around 40 hours. That just seems very short. I remember playing for a lot longer back in the day with org. xcom.

I hope there is some type of mod support down the road for exp. type packs or user modes to make.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

said by primeomega:

What I do not like the the game play hours. I have been reading more and more now of around 40 hours. That just seems very short. I remember playing for a lot longer back in the day with org. xcom.

I hope there is some type of mod support down the road for exp. type packs or user modes to make.

These are the press releases. that they are playing. They are limited. The press release is not allowed to get too far.
--

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Mcallan

I've been counting the days for the last 6 or so months waiting patiently for this game to finally get within reach. I've played the demo atleast 10 times, watched tons of gameplay/dev commentated videos for months, and basically following each little morsel of information that's been released for this title.

I'd say it's safe to assume I'm extremely excited for tomorrow! Once I get a chance to put some time into XCOM, I'll report back and give my experience thus far.

I never played the original XCOM so this is my first foray into this universe.

Is anyone else as excited as I am about this game?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Mcallan

Reviews have been good.

»www.metacritic.com/game/pc/xcom-···-unknown

I may have to invest in this game.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

1 edit
reply to Mcallan

I am looking forward to playing this. I will probably play single player but I remember way back when enjoying UFO Defense back in 1993.

Anyway, I pre-ordered the special with Amazon thinking ahead about that a $15 promotional credit I can use on a Christmas gift.

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to TheRul

said by TheRul:

said by primeomega:

These are the press releases. that they are playing. They are limited. The press release is not allowed to get too far.

Cool, glad to know this. From what I was reading, it sounded like they played the full game. Well, now I guess time will tell. 8 hours to get home and star to play.

Maybe we could start a thread or use this one to add our steam names in, we could all hook up for some multi-player down the road?

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium
Gilroy, CA

I don't want to hear it. I am extremely excited about this, and I probably will not get to play till after Christmas... oh well, it will be a good Christmas.
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by TheRul:

I don't want to hear it. I am extremely excited about this, and I probably will not get to play till after Christmas... oh well, it will be a good Christmas.

That's the spirit... look at the silver lining of the situation.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!
reply to TheRul

EDIT: GAAAAAH, double post!

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
Troy, IL
reply to primeomega

There used to be a topic with the bbr user names listed, but I can't find it now. Can anyone dredge up the steam/battle.net/origin list?

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to Mcallan

Well I played most of the night on tue, and more on wed, and I like it.

Research seems a little on the shallow end. But, I do like the way the missions are.

Working on classic mode with ironman on. Had a really nice set of 6 solders when I had a really bad mission that I got trapped in, lost them all. First loss like that, just stared at the screen with the KIA all over it. Was a sad day...

I also tried a multiplayer game last night. Does not seem to be a lot of people in it right now. But it does add something to the game I think.

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA

That happened to me last night. Thin men and Floaters trapped me outside a demolished building. Had only lost two rookies at that point. 1 major, 2 captains, 2 lieutenants and a sgt. Have to say that is better than the original where I would lose soldiers consistently every mission.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by seginus:

That happened to me last night. Thin men and Floaters trapped me outside a demolished building. Had only lost two rookies at that point. 1 major, 2 captains, 2 lieutenants and a sgt. Have to say that is better than the original where I would lose soldiers consistently every mission.

The original was brutal. I loved that game though. I played it all the time. Just based on the reviews, I should pick up the new Xcom game.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
Your Mind!

said by Nightfall:

said by seginus:

The original was brutal. I loved that game though. I played it all the time. Just based on the reviews, I should pick up the new Xcom game.

More people should as we need more variety in games, rather than more cloned shooters. The more people that pick it up, the more reasons developers will have to create these games.
--
From Psychonauts -
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

unfortunately I fear this game will only be a hit with those who knew the original. I mean it adds one thing I wanted in the original and that is proper sniping. With squad sight I laugh at aliens when my sniper with the laser has 100% hit chance from high ground.

But like the original it is still fairly brutal. I will say the first time I saw a cyberdisk... I spent my rocket on it.

I just cant decide which country would have been best for my base. I picked NA for Air & Space... Though at times I think I should have done Africa for the money.

WireHead
I drive to fast
Premium
join:2001-05-09
Muncie, IN
reply to Mcallan

I just picked this bad boy up today, special edition. I had to run around all over town to find it. For a game that has allot of bad knocks in reviews it sure has sold out everywhere. I played every release they had and was excited about this one, still am, but the die hards I've been reading are saying to keep an open mind and not to place to much of a burden on it because it doesn't really follow the originals. Like it's been watered down.
--
Retired BBR Team Starfire Team Q III Host
Live by chance. Love by choice. Kill by profession.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

said by WireHead:

I just picked this bad boy up today, special edition. I had to run around all over town to find it. For a game that has allot of bad knocks in reviews it sure has sold out everywhere. I played every release they had and was excited about this one, still am, but the die hards I've been reading are saying to keep an open mind and not to place to much of a burden on it because it doesn't really follow the originals. Like it's been watered down.

I think what you have been reading is pretty accurate. I am playing normal and iron man with tutorial off and the game is brutal.

I have managed to make major several times single player but after that, it gets hard and well... Start over and figure out what you have missed.

Even though I had restarted a few times, I have done things different and learned from the research that was done different each time.

And.. Yes, I did play UFO Defence and Terror from the Deep.
--
Everyone needs compassion,
Love that's never failing;
Let mercy fall on me.

Everyone needs forgiveness,
The kindness of a Saviour;
The Hope of nations.

primeomega

De Pere, WI
reply to Mcallan

Well, just finished the game. 26 hours of game play. Did classic level with ironman on. Not sure I really like that...

26 hours seems very short to me. The tech tree is weak and it just did not feel like I did much. I LOVED the org. game and even the other games that have cloned it over the years. To say I am a huge fan would be a under statement.

I guess they had to bring the game to "everyone" and not make it like the old.

I really hope they come out with a exp. pack or something. Figure there is a lot you could do with the game. I remember them talking about mods, who knows.

I guess I will try ironman with the hardest difficulty. See how that goes.