Russ

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to swintec

Re: Could Comcast Be up to SDV?

said by swintec:

said by flwpwr :

Those carriers are reserved to carry ondemand streams even if everyone is watching the weather channel due to a natural disaster reports.

Why would it matter if 1 or all boxes on the node are watching an SDV stream? i have always read that SDV keeps non-watched channels at the edge until requested. if one user on your node requests a channel then it makes no difference if others tune to it since it is already being sent down.

It doesn't matter. The information in your post is correct. The point flwpwr was trying to make is that SDV carriers can not be used as VOD carriers so even if there were a lot of free SDV carriers they couldn't be used for VOD carriers and vice versa.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Russ:

said by swintec:

said by flwpwr :

Those carriers are reserved to carry ondemand streams even if everyone is watching the weather channel due to a natural disaster reports.

Why would it matter if 1 or all boxes on the node are watching an SDV stream? i have always read that SDV keeps non-watched channels at the edge until requested. if one user on your node requests a channel then it makes no difference if others tune to it since it is already being sent down.

It doesn't matter. The information in your post is correct. The point flwpwr was trying to make is that SDV carriers can not be used as VOD carriers so even if there were a lot of free SDV carriers they couldn't be used for VOD carriers and vice versa.

actually TWC just implemented this senario where TWC is using SDV and VOD on the same QAMs in a hub in SC a few months back according to an article I read on how the made a new type of hub site broken down into three sectors called "Pods" in advance of CCAP.

You can use VOD/SDV interchangeably due to the services being unicast and TWC is already doing it somewhat with their Startover/Lookback services that restart live programs so yeah it is possible.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
reply to swintec

who determines what channels are not watched compared to watched and who is to say that one week a channel is watched occasionally and the next week and from that point on it's watched heavily?

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

said by Mike Wolf:

who determines what channels are not watched compared to watched and who is to say that one week a channel is watched occasionally and the next week and from that point on it's watched heavily?

I know that on my node I keep seeing the frequencies for:

Cartoon Network HD
MLB Network HD
NFL Network HD
Weather Channel HD
FNC HD
Fox Sports Southwest HD
PAC12 National HD

stay the same throughout the week they rarely change maybe once a week which is a good indicator that they are being watched 24/7 and all are SDV.

On TWC here these are the digital channels that are not SDV besides digital simulcast:

KFWD HD
KXAS HD
KDAF HD
KDFW HD
KAZD HD
KUVN HD
KDFI HD
KERA HD
KTVT HD
KTXA HD
WFAA HD
KPXD HD
KSTR HD
KXTX HD
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
TNT HD
HBO HD
SHOWTIME HD
Indemand HD PPV
Antenna TV
KERA World
WFAA 8.2 Accuweather
WFAA 8.3 Live Well
KXAS DFW Non Stop
boomerang
Cartoon network SAP
PBS Kids Sprout
mun2
tr3s
National Geographic
We
AMC
Shop NBC
GAC
Hallmark
OWN
Showtime
HBO
TMC
Starz
Cinemax
Youtoo TV
Penthouse PPV
TEN PPV
BIG 12 Football PPV
Indemand PPV1
Indemand PPV2
Fox Sports Southwest Plus
FETN (Emegency Personnel Training)
Zee Tv
TV Aisa
iGuide VOD Barkers (4 total all the same on the same frequency)
Navigator VOD barker
Navigator VOD channel 1 info on how to access VOD on tru2way boxes.
Navigator Kids on Demand VOD barker

The TWC system I am on has nothing but 6 DOCSIS QAMs and 24 SDV QAMs from 687MHz all the way to 861MHz.

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

The users on that node... but what difference does it make which channels are watched as long as they're available when tuned in to?

When the user tunes the box to the channel and it's a "switched" the box makes a request if it's not already available. The equipment in the headend turns on the channel and tells the box which QAM it's on. In a good, well run system the process is very quick and almost indistinguishable from a an unswitched system. Both the TWC and Charter systems I view every week have it and I rarely have any problems with it.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

RossMatthews

@comcast.net

I think what makes a difference is the timeout when watching an extended block of programming on one channel and not wanting to have to keep pressing something on the remote every few hours to "keep the channel alive" or even when customers can't sleep wth the tv off and the channel they watch when falling asleep is one of those SDV channels. IT'S ANNOYING

Anyway another problem is who makes that determination of which channels should and should not be SDV. Say you have a community of 10 thousand people. 40 percent of those customers watch channel block A and 60 percent watch channel block B. By these numbers channel block A would be chosen to be SDV while channel block B would be left unaffected. This pisses off the 40 percent of people who watch channel block A. PAYING CUSTOMERS

mountlaurel

@comcast.net

I sent an e-mail to comcast of Garden State,NJ asking if SDV will be coming soon to my area and instead of receiving back a No or they never heard of SDV the response came back on to how to install the adapter.
I was shocked and it's on the bottom if comcast has turned on this New technology you must check SDV channels to see if they are coming clearly.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

said by JoshMatthews :

It's stupid.

I think it would be stupid to tie up major amounts of bandwidth on the cable system and deny quite a few additions of HD channels (and binded channels for data) so a few cable card users can run their HTPC. Maybe in the future there will be better options for you guys to interface with the cable system but until then I do not feel the technology (SDV) should be ignored to cater to a few people at the expense of sooo many others.

Can you imagine if we only had 20 HD channels and I called in to ask why and they told me 2 people across town have cable card devices so they are unable to add any more channels now? Please.

You really have no idea what you're talking about, because a) Cablecard is way more than HTPCs, the bulk of the users have Tivos, and b) SDV is ALREADY in use on other MSOs for Cablecard users with the stupid tuning adapters, so there is no problem with Comcast adopting it (if needed) in future.

Nothing you said has anything to do with whether Comcast can add more HD channels to your local system.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
reply to swintec

said by swintec:

Oh, another good thing...they have finally customized there guide software to tune to the HD equivalent channel if you happen to end up on the SD channel....good for my parents who can not seem to "get it".

I know, some members of my family continue to watch their shows in SD on our HD sets. Instead of saying "there's an app for that," I'm constantly telling them "there's an 800 channel for that!" (our system currently has the HD channels in the 800's).

So I'm not surprised that Nielsen still finds that almost three-quarters of primetime broadcast viewing is still done in SD:

Nielsen: HD Sets in Over Three Quarters of U.S. Homes
Yet 71% of primetime broadcast viewing still done in standard definition

By George Winslow, Broadcasting & Cable - October 17, 2012
»www.broadcastingcable.com/articl···omes.php

DrDrew
So that others may surf.
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:12
reply to RossMatthews

said by RossMatthews :

Anyway another problem is who makes that determination of which channels should and should not be SDV. Say you have a community of 10 thousand people. 40 percent of those customers watch channel block A and 60 percent watch channel block B. By these numbers channel block A would be chosen to be SDV while channel block B would be left unaffected. This pisses off the 40 percent of people who watch channel block A. PAYING CUSTOMERS

The SDV service groups are managed much like modem service groups, in the hundreds of users connected to a few nodes or less.

SDV done correctly look and seem the same as other dgital channels, users never know the difference. Often the installation/field techs don't even realize it unless they look into the box diagnostic pages.

If users notice and get pissed, something is wrong.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

rcilink
Premium
join:2003-12-15
Manchester, NH
reply to JeepMatt

Just saw this the other day. On motorola box, go into the "current channel" diagnostic and then use the remote and hit the up or down buttons. The SDV info shows there.

(Mine is not using SDV, so lots of 000's show)