kungpow
join:2002-10-06
Canada

kungpow to kevinds

to kevinds

Re: Shaw SMTP - not generating NDR

said by kevinds:

said by kungpow See Profile
I have tons of email servers hosting all sorts of domains with SMTP spam filter protected inbound and outbound and I have yet to have an issue with backscatter.

How many open relays do you have setup, with NDR messages enabled?

No open relays enabled. The smtp connection is dropped immediately if you have a signature that fits the spam profile.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Because you are not running open relays (shawmail.vc.shawcable.net is an open relay - or open if you are using a Shaw IP address). You can trust the From addresses going through your servers are the ones sending them, and sure, leave the NDR's enabled.

Shaw's open relay servers, can not verify if the emails are From who the emails say they are, so disabling NDR's is the right thing to do.
kungpow
join:2002-10-06
Canada

kungpow

said by kevinds:

Shaw's open relay servers, can not verify if the emails are From who the emails say they are, so disabling NDR's is the right thing to do.

Because shaw disables NDRs, it makes troubleshooting 10x harder when email issues arise.

I don't know of any other ISPs that disable NDRs but shaw. Telus doesn't disable NDRs and when email issues arise, troubleshooting is much more streamlined.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Then send with either with a shaw.ca address and you will get the NDRs, or use your own mail server.

I'll have to look up when I get back to a computer, if there is a RFC document, recomending NDRs be delivered locally, but not sent to another server over the internet.

-Posted from my phone.