Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bengalvfan

join:2001-01-21
Dayton, OH

1 edit

Line depth running through my yard?

I had my lawn Aerated and over-seeded today and while the aeration was being done my TV and Internet went out.

The aeration depth is at most 3-4 inches. Which is why I am asking what the depth is suppose to be. I am hoping to gather information in preparation of ATT trying to bill me for this.

I called ATT and was told that the earliest appointment was Thursday to have it repaired but would call someone to see if she could get it done sooner.

I was called back about 10 minutes later and connected with a Tier II rep who was able to get someone out to my house today... but... I was told this person would not be equiped to repair the damaged line and would only be coming out to verify that a line is actually cut.

I would of thought that those lines would need to be buried at least 12" down. Thanks

Dan

techguyga
Premium
join:2003-12-31
Cumming, GA

When my line was buried last month, they buried it at about 6-8 inches. I'm in Georgia.

dbeatson
Premium
join:2001-02-22
Clover, SC
reply to bengalvfan

I am not aware of any standards when it comes to burying the drop line to your house through your yard, I know mine is about 6 inches deep, which is probably about what is standard.
--
»www.w4lny.com

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to bengalvfan

Welcome to the unregulated world of low voltage & broadband.

Since there are no public safety concerns as with electricity and gas, and no freeze concerns as with water service, you get whatever they feel like giving you.

I always recommend that homeowners provide their own conduit from the pole or pedestal, or at least the property line. It's the rare person that bothers with this, of course.

In Wisconsin, the digger's hotline is quite explicit about not guaranteeing depth; soil can be added or removed over the years, so locators are prohibited from providing depth information. You can, however hire a private locator to tell you whatever you're willing to pay for.

Good luck.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL
reply to bengalvfan

ATT literally just lifted up my fresh sod, tossed down the cable and then put the sod back. So I think it's safe to say they do whatever they feel like doing.

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
reply to bengalvfan

The repair isn't billable unless you specifically ask to have the working service line moved or reran. Even though it's in your yard, it's still technically ATT'S part of the network.
I wouldn't worry about being billed for the repair. Worse case scenario, if you are charged at a later date just contact Alex at the Uverse forums »forums.att.com/t5/user/viewprofi···d/318276 or post on the Direct Forum here and any of those ATT gents will get it patched up.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

said by Forosnai:

Even though it's in your yard, it's still technically ATT'S part of the network.

Is lawn aeration considered "digging" in the context of cable locating laws?

What would have happened if the homeowner had called AT&T and said, "Your cable is less than three inches below my lawn and I need to do some lawn maintenance. I want you to move the line deeper into the ground." ?

AT&T could argue that the homeowner or contractor should have called to have the cables marked.

On the other hand, the homeowner could argue that the burial depth was unreasonable and would have prevented him from doing routine lawn maintenance.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

bengalvfan

Dayton, OH
reply to bengalvfan

Update on my service..

A very nice technician arrived to my house last night and put down a temporary drop line that is on top of my grass until someone can come out and bury a new line.

He said he would put a note in my account that the cut line was not buried deep enough. I literally stuck my finger in the aeration holes and most are not even three inches down.

I will post another update when the line is actually buried to let everyone know what depth it gets put at.

Dan

fiber_man
Things Happen For A Reason
Premium
join:2001-01-27
Port Saint Lucie, FL

I put mine in 1 inch conduit from the pedestal to the side of the house and it is 2 feet deep. I did it while placing the sprinkler system which is above the pipe. Most drops are 3-6 inches deep.
--
GO NOLES!!

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to bengalvfan

Usually the service wire is 3' and buried with electric.
If the wire is buried after that it will only be 3".

RocketJeff
Premium
join:2008-08-20
Birmingham, AL
reply to bengalvfan

I have my lawn aerated about once a year (heavy Alabama soil) and haven't had a problem with U-verse or cable tv (when we had it). I do mark sprinkler heads so they won't get run over.

Last year I dug up a section of my yard near where the phone & cable TV lines enter my house. I knew the lines would be running in the area, so I was very careful in my digging.

Besides the phone & cable tv lines that were actually running into the house, I found 2 phone and 3 cable TV lines that ended several feet away from the house in the yard.

The house is about 15 years old - we've owned it for 4 years and haven't had a line replaced since we moved in. None of the cables (old or new) seemed to be more then 5" down, most were just a couple of inches. One of the cable TV lines was barely below the sod.

It probably seems cheaper to the phone/cable companies to replace the lines rather then to bury them a reasonable depth.

bengalvfan

Dayton, OH
reply to bengalvfan

A guy came out today to bury a new line. When he was getting setup I asked him how far he would be putting the line underground he told me he could probably get it 8 to 10 inches.

While watching him put the line in I think he only managed to get down maybe 6 inches due to hitting a bunch of rocks and the ditch witch tires would spin taring up my yard.

So anyways from the pedestal up to my sidewalk he probably got about 6 inches. After he put my line under my side walk he still needed to get to the house by way of a flower bed.

Through the flower bed he routed the line along the edges of the sidewalk and just buried it with a bit of the mulch/rocks maybe only about an inch deep. He told me to let my wife know to watch out for the line if she was going to plant anything there.

I am still operating off of the temporary drop put in last week since the guy that came today was just there to bury a new line and told me another guy would be coming to make the connections and take away the temp drop.

ArgMeMatey

Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to RocketJeff

said by RocketJeff:

It probably seems cheaper to the phone/cable companies to replace the lines rather then to bury them a reasonable depth.

Yes. Fixing stuff is an operating expenditure. Installing new stuff is a capital expenditure. Management & stockholders do not like capital investment unless there is a proven ROI.