uniqs
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

1 edit

Os to markofmayhem

to markofmayhem

Re: Could Comcast Be up to SDV?

I know everyone holds that AVSForum chart sacred, but there's tons wrong on it for Comcast.

I wouldn't consider AXS TV wide, BYU TV HD is available in UT, I've never seen Catholic TV HD on any Comcast lineup, C-SPAN HD could almost be called wide, Cooking Channel HD and DIY HD are not wide, and that doesn't even touch the premiums which are all wrong.

I trust my numbers a lot more than those ones, and I don't have a Comcast lineup anywhere with more than 111 HD channels (not counting locals or RSN's), and that's the city of Philadelphia systems.

The worst BrightHouse system of their major clusters is Michigan, and they're at 134 by my count (109 networks, 25 premiums). They're missing the Spanish HD's mainly, but also missing TV One HD. They're around 180 once you add everything together.

I think Comcast has a harder time justifying bandwidth for HD because they didn't hop on the bandwagon the way TWC did with free HD. That HD technology fee is a major obstacle to adoption by customers.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Os:

I know everyone holds that AVSForum chart sacred, but there's tons wrong on it for Comcast.

I wouldn't consider AXS TV wide, BYU TV HD is available in UT, I've never seen Catholic TV HD on any Comcast lineup, C-SPAN HD could almost be called wide, Cooking Channel HD and DIY HD are not wide, and that doesn't even touch the premiums which are all wrong.

I trust my numbers a lot more than those ones, and I don't have a Comcast lineup anywhere with more than 111 HD channels (not counting locals or RSN's), and that's the city of Philadelphia systems.

The worst BrightHouse system of their major clusters is Michigan, and they're at 134 by my count (109 networks, 25 premiums). They're missing the Spanish HD's mainly, but also missing TV One HD. They're around 180 once you add everything together.

I think Comcast has a harder time justifying bandwidth for HD because they didn't hop on the bandwagon the way TWC did with free HD. That HD technology fee is a major obstacle to adoption by customers.

Do you count local channels in the Brighthouse michigan count? My TWC system here in the Dallas metro has the best HD lineup west of eastern seaboard/New England on TWC we have 139 HD channels and that will go up to 141 HD channels as of next monday when we get national versions of TWC Sportsnet and TWC Deportes on the sports pass We just got the NFL Network back on my system after 6 years since TWC took the system over from comcast.
Os
US

Os

No, I'm not counting locals, RSN's, PPV or On Demand HD in that. BrightHouse has everything.

I'm not sure whether I'll count TWC SportsNet yet in my count. I've been counting YES and NESN, but not the other HD's because YES and NESN are marketing their RSN's nationally, and providing alternate programming during blacked out local sporting events.

But isn't a 2:1 ratio of what you gain in SDV, when you consider a standard MPEG-2 QAM for Comcast contains 3 HD channels effectively 6 like I said?

Also, I think it's safe to say that this much bandwidth exists throughout Comcast's systems, and maybe moreso as a lot of the areas don't have all the international SD channels Philadelphia does.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Os:

No, I'm not counting locals, RSN's, PPV or On Demand HD in that. BrightHouse has everything.

I'm not sure whether I'll count TWC SportsNet yet in my count. I've been counting YES and NESN, but not the other HD's because YES and NESN are marketing their RSN's nationally, and providing alternate programming during blacked out local sporting events.

But isn't a 2:1 ratio of what you gain in SDV, when you consider a standard MPEG-2 QAM for Comcast contains 3 HD channels effectively 6 like I said?

Also, I think it's safe to say that this much bandwidth exists throughout Comcast's systems, and maybe moreso as a lot of the areas don't have all the international SD channels Philadelphia does.

TWC will be marketing the LA sportsnets nationally as they are launching them across their entire footprint that has the bandwidth available to add them in areas that have SDV bandwidth or have open QAM space on the systems that not SDV enabled.

Although they will have alternate programming on during live games of the professional teams.
Os
US

Os

How would I go about importing an OpenOffice file in? It might be time to start sharing my databases on HD channels to show the difference between Comcast and BrightHouse.

motorola870
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Os

to Os
said by Os:

yes it is a 2:1 ratio could possibly go to 3:1 ratio if the system is designed with fewer homes passed per node. I know that around here there a ton of nodes one street probably has 10 nodes in a 1 1/2 mile length stretch of the road. Some of the nodes are spaced 3 telephone poles apart.