Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

1 edit

[Poll]How important an issue Apple Maps to you?

There's no shortage of gripes and posts about Maps.
I used to look at Google Maps, at most, once every week or two. Most of the time when I drive, I rely on Waze for traffic and police warnings (I always know where I'm going, so GPS isn't a big deal).
I also have MapQuest when I'm not mobile, so the fact that Apple Maps is not ready is minor in my books.
I know others are more passionate, so ....

Poll
How vital was Google Maps to you and how inconvenienced are you by Apple's inferior offering?

I relied on GMaps and this is a big deal

I used GMaps but easily found a replacement

I don't rely on maps so it's not a big deal

I used another GPS app so this is minor

I'm not sure

I didn't upgrade to iOS6

Votes:118

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
I don't use maps for GPS but I've relied on StreetView almost daily so yeah, it's a big deal that this feature is no longer available on my iPhone 3Gs. So glad I didn't/couldn't upgrade my iPad.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state

2 edits
said by Stacy:

I don't use maps for GPS but I've relied on StreetView almost daily so yeah, it's a big deal that this feature is no longer available on my iPhone 3Gs. So glad I didn't/couldn't upgrade my iPad.

If I'm not mobile, I'm likely to use Google's web site (on a computer) for maps to see where something is. If I need to go somewhere new, I usually view the map on a computer before heading out.
As far as my mobile devices are concerned, I'd only use a map app for navigation, which, again, for me is a non event, since I know nearly every road that I drive on. As such, it's a very minor item. I don't think I ever used Google Maps in my car.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo
I use WAZE for driving and traffic but relied on Google Maps for Mass Transit directions and for general location searches. Apple Maps doesn't offer the former and the later isn't that great.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
reply to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by Stacy:

If I'm not mobile, I'm likely to use Google's web site (on a computer) for maps to see where something is. If I need to go somewhere new, I usually view the map on a computer before heading out.
As far as my mobile devices are concerned, I'd only use a map app for navigation, which, again, for me is a non event, since I know nearly every road that I drive on. As such, it's a very minor item. I don't think I ever used Google Maps in my car.

I seldom used Google Maps - other than the tie in to find my phone or to use it to launch Navigon.

I do like the tie in to Siri with the new Maps app - hopefully once the JB is out, they will update the navigate to app to use Apple Maps.

I would NEVER rely on either Google Maps or Apple Maps for turn by turn as they require a working data connection to function. Never mind blind spots in coverage - think about those Sprint and Verizon users that will stop navigating when the phone rings!!!!
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to haroldo
So far the few locations that I have looked up in Apple maps have been wrong around 50% of the time. I would rarely have that with Google. I know as the product matures it should improve.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
said by donoreo:

So far the few locations that I have looked up in Apple maps have been wrong around 50% of the time. I would rarely have that with Google. I know as the product matures it should improve.

I asked Siri to find the nearest Exxon. It did not find the one near my home (it's been there at least 15 years) and the one I then picked it placed the pin on a bank on the other side of the intersection from the gas station.

It's useless to me if I can't rely on it.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

teach
Premium
join:2000-09-21
Denver, CO
reply to haroldo
I use a Garmin and if I forget to bring it, I use Telenav on the phone. Don't know what all the fuss about the map is since it's a work in progress like passbook.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to haroldo
I prefer Google Maps, simply because of its accuracy.

For turn by turn navigation, I prefer using a dedicated app like Navigon which does not chew data and has a nicer interface dedicated to driving.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to haroldo
I usually use Google Maps on a computer before I leave if I'm going somewhere I haven't gone before or need a refresher. I like to plan out the best/easiest streets to turn on, highway entrances/exits, etc. Can't do that on any mobile app, AFAIK. My memory is pretty good from that point on, but if that fails, the backup (my girlfriend with the directions on a piece of paper) never fails .

If I need in-car directions, I have a dedicated TomTom GPS that works well enough (I just don't like the idea of putting my iPhone up like a GPS. Seems silly to me).

The only loss for me with Apple Maps is transit directions. The ones for Los Angeles weren't that great - I usually ended up going to the metro.net website anyway as it's more accurate, but it was nice to see multiple transit options (different agencies) in one place.

So, yes. New maps is a minor inconvenience, but I was never in love with the old Google Maps app either..
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to haroldo
There should be another selection: Apple Maps works just fine for me in comparison to what I used Google Maps for

After all of the bitching about this map upgrade I find that it still does everything for me that G Maps did. Is the same experience from a UI perspective?? No, but for me--I've only had the thing for a week and have only needed to use it a handful of times--it works JUST FINE.

As far as someone here mentioning Transit info...Apple has stated on their knowledge base that you'll need a 3rd party app for that. I'm thinking that like copy/paste, this will be added in time once they get things perfected.

@ Nezmo: I did an informal test of a Shell gas station search and found that Apple Maps didn't show as many in the same area. So I looked at each one and found that Apple Maps showed about 95% of them correctly where G Maps found a few more, but they were wrong--so it was pretty much a tie on accuracy. There was one that when I went to in street view in G Maps it actually showed that it was permanently closed (with logos covered and a fence around the property), but listed it as a viable choice. So neither choice is bulletproof.

I can see some instances where Apple needs to tweak their database to better reflect franchises--there was one Shell station that came up, but without Shell in the title of the business. I know it's a Shell for a fact, but A Maps didn't see it in the search--it was there on the map showing as a gas icon though.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
Google Maps has always been horrible for me at finding accurate gas station info in Los Angeles, so I'm not surprised Apple Maps has the same issue.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
reply to BellBoy
said by BellBoy:

There should be another selection: Apple Maps works just fine for me in comparison to what I used Google Maps for

After all of the bitching about this map upgrade I find that it still does everything for me that G Maps did. Is the same experience from a UI perspective?? No, but for me--I've only had the thing for a week and have only needed to use it a handful of times--it works JUST FINE.

For many, many people it does not. It will probably vary by location.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
said by donoreo:

said by BellBoy:

For many, many people it does not. It will probably vary by location.

True...but that's all I'm saying is that the poll should reflect everyone's experience--not just the negative ones. YMMV.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to BellBoy
You also posted a video that you though leaned in Apple's favor yet the article said they could not wait for Google Maps for iOS 6. You also thought that Heathrow Fl is more relevant for US citizens than Heathrow Airport.

It's not just a matter of UI perspective. Let's be serious, the quality blows chunks bigtime. Flyover versus Street View? A joke.

Half baked solution is being kind when describing this slop.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to haroldo
The lack of street view and clunky stallite pictures are a non issue for me. Street view was never anything more than a mildly amusing toy that I indulge in once in a blue moon. I used Navigon on my iPhone 4. I'm going to use Maps for my GPS app from now on. If I decide it's nothing but a bag of fail, I'll just use Navigon again.

BellBoy
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

You also thought that Heathrow Fl is more relevant for US citizens than Heathrow Airport.

Wouldn't it be? If you want Heathrow Airport in London, type it in and it takes you there.

Like I said before...it should have been a beta product at best, but I think Apple was under the gun to get it ready before they lost Google Maps. They f**ked up and now they're going to have to work 10 times more to make it up to us.

It seems like Apple has become Lindsey Lohan--everyone wants to see successes go down in flames. All of the Apple haters will have their fun until Apple does something else that grabs everyone's attention and they can bitch about how they don't have it or don't want it.

Look back in the posts of the forum and you'll see bunches of posts from folks that got burned by "first/early adopter syndrome." For the most part, Apple has been fairly immune from it--as most issues are either re-engineered or re-coded to fix it. I'm standing by my purchase until it either gets fixed by a new iOS version or it's proven to be a hardware issue--in which case Apple usually does right by their customers. In any event, I'm an iPhone 5 user and will be for quite awhile. It's the best experience, for me. YMMV.
--

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to haroldo
Use another app for GPS navigation (rental cars only...both owned vehicles have factory nav) but really did use the Google map application a lot for research and planning, especially on my iPad which travels with me. The POI and public transportation information has always been very useful to me. The new Apple app falls short for that, at least for now. So in the mean time, I've put a bookmark on maps.google.com and will use that as I did the native Google map app previously.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
reply to haroldo
I did not upgrade to IOS6 because of the lack of Google maps.

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON

1 recommendation

reply to haroldo
Hitler does not like the new maps:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkDz4wMI···embedded

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to haroldo
I must have been the odd person out, because I thought Google Maps sucked ass. I would say 75% of the time it was wrong with where things were at. I remember looking for a drugstore once when a kid was sick and it was 2am and I was in a different city and it took me ALL OVER THE PLACE without any luck at all in finding something.

I don't give a crap about the Maps issue, I use it to get around Indy and it works well enough for me. I actually have better luck finding smaller restaurants and coffee shops with the new Maps than with Google. If I'm driving a long distance I use Navigon.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to haroldo
I have a TomTom so it's a minor issue. Every once in a blue moon I will get something that it doesn't find and will use google....and I still can. Apple maps need work and they've acknowledged it so.....I'm moving on. The horse is beyond dead on the issue.
--
| map your city |

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo
First let me say this is antenna gate 2012 ... Totally blown out of proportion! Apples maps works fairly well for the most part and I'm sure the rest of the bugs will be worked out shortly.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to BellBoy
It's not that everyone wants to see them go down in flames, it's that when you march out an app during the launch that replaces a very useful app people expect it to be equal or better. And no, don't label it as beta if it's a selling point like they did with Siri.

Also I would love to see Apple do something that grabs attention in a positive light, but I fear the innovation just hasn't been there. Let's be honest, LTE on the phone is not the huge selling point, I believe a large portion of people skipped the 4s upgrade as it was not a huge change and held out for the 5.

Apple needs to start innovation again as they seem to be more worried about imitation.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
said by ptrowski:

Let's be honest, LTE on the phone is not the huge selling point, I believe a large portion of people skipped the 4s upgrade as it was not a huge change and held out for the 5.

You must be an AT&T customer. Have you tried Verizon 3G? It's pretty painful.

-- Rob
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to haroldo
I just gave the GPS feature of Maps a test, and it passed with flying colors. It even did better than Navigon. I'm going against the crowd and saying I like this app because it works for the purpose I use it. I know it's popular to hate Maps right now. I don't care.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to djrobx
Yes I am..

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to haroldo
So 40% have returned the iphone and gone with android or Lumia devices?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to dellsweig
the only time a working data connection is required for cell phone turn by turn is during the initial calculation and if you miss a turn.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
I don't understand why the iPhone needs the data connection for any GPS features when stand alone GPS units don't need it.