uniqs
share rss forum feed

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to haroldo

Re: [Poll]How important an issue Apple Maps to you?

I must have been the odd person out, because I thought Google Maps sucked ass. I would say 75% of the time it was wrong with where things were at. I remember looking for a drugstore once when a kid was sick and it was 2am and I was in a different city and it took me ALL OVER THE PLACE without any luck at all in finding something.

I don't give a crap about the Maps issue, I use it to get around Indy and it works well enough for me. I actually have better luck finding smaller restaurants and coffee shops with the new Maps than with Google. If I'm driving a long distance I use Navigon.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to haroldo

I have a TomTom so it's a minor issue. Every once in a blue moon I will get something that it doesn't find and will use google....and I still can. Apple maps need work and they've acknowledged it so.....I'm moving on. The horse is beyond dead on the issue.
--
| map your city |

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to haroldo

First let me say this is antenna gate 2012 ... Totally blown out of proportion! Apples maps works fairly well for the most part and I'm sure the rest of the bugs will be worked out shortly.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to BellBoy

It's not that everyone wants to see them go down in flames, it's that when you march out an app during the launch that replaces a very useful app people expect it to be equal or better. And no, don't label it as beta if it's a selling point like they did with Siri.

Also I would love to see Apple do something that grabs attention in a positive light, but I fear the innovation just hasn't been there. Let's be honest, LTE on the phone is not the huge selling point, I believe a large portion of people skipped the 4s upgrade as it was not a huge change and held out for the 5.

Apple needs to start innovation again as they seem to be more worried about imitation.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

said by ptrowski:

Let's be honest, LTE on the phone is not the huge selling point, I believe a large portion of people skipped the 4s upgrade as it was not a huge change and held out for the 5.

You must be an AT&T customer. Have you tried Verizon 3G? It's pretty painful.

-- Rob
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to haroldo

I just gave the GPS feature of Maps a test, and it passed with flying colors. It even did better than Navigon. I'm going against the crowd and saying I like this app because it works for the purpose I use it. I know it's popular to hate Maps right now. I don't care.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to djrobx

Yes I am..

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
reply to haroldo

So 40% have returned the iphone and gone with android or Lumia devices?
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to dellsweig

the only time a working data connection is required for cell phone turn by turn is during the initial calculation and if you miss a turn.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Black_Mage
Premium
USA

I don't understand why the iPhone needs the data connection for any GPS features when stand alone GPS units don't need it.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to ptrowski

said by ptrowski:

It's not that everyone wants to see them go down in flames, it's that when you march out an app during the launch that replaces a very useful app people expect it to be equal or better.

I beg to differ...from the nightly news to the local news bimbos on the morning shows they were bashing Apple's "fail" (one local "tech reporter" actually used that term).

Let's see this little item get the same amount of press: »9to5google.com/2012/09/25/major-···website/ Because it won't...it's not Apple and competition is good...so...err ummm...

said by ptrowski:

Apple needs to start innovation again as they seem to be more worried about imitation.

Really? I don't understand how you can justify that statement. Look at how the new chip in the 5 has been performing against their competition. You sound as if they just repackaged a 4s circuit board inside a larger case.
--
"When the day comes that anyone can bend our country's laws and lawmakers to serve selfish, competitive ends, that day democratic government dies." -- Preston Tucker, June 1948

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT

It's faster. Every new revision of cell phones are faster, you are not breaking news here. The reviews are its faster, bigger, has LTE. Innovation like the retina display etc innovation, the camera. Right now Apple is getting more press about trying to sue everyone under the sun.
Faster processor and LTE was neede to compete, not leap ahead like they have done. The S4 will be announced Q1 of next year, it will be faster than the S3.

Let's face it, this launch was mediocre. Even this forum didn't have the same buzz as it had in the past.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Stacy

said by Stacy:

I don't use maps for GPS but I've relied on StreetView almost daily so yeah, it's a big deal that this feature is no longer available on my iPhone 3Gs. So glad I didn't/couldn't upgrade my iPad.

Ha..never thought about that. I'll tell my kid not to upgrade the iPad.

I need to figure a quick and clean way to upgrade back down to iOS 5. It is an upgrade to downgrade.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.

1 edit
reply to haroldo

the plot thickens.........

Apple had over a year left on Google Maps contract, Google scrambling to build iOS app

»www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/34076···=twitter

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

It only says they had a year from when the decision to use their own Maps was made. That sounds entirely reasonable. They claim the decision was made in June (just before WWDC). That doesn't make sense.. They would've had to be working on their own Maps app for quite some time to compile all the data. Perhaps they mean the final decision to do it in iOS 6?

If we believe them and take it as a year from June, I still don't think that's newsworthy.. What, are they going to release a 6.2 upgrade that completely changes the Map app? They would've had to wait until iOS 7, which would've been 1+ years away, after the contract expires.

And if Google really wanted to have an iOS app on day one, they would've. All of their data is on their servers.. the app is just a fancy web browser that organizes the data and receives input more efficiently. Their YouTube app was out on time (which gives them significant revenue from ads). My guess: Google knew Apple's Maps were going to be received negatively from the iOS betas and wanted that to happen.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

I don't understand why the iPhone needs the data connection for any GPS features when stand alone GPS units don't need it.

Because the maps are not resident on the phone...they down load from the net as you move about to fill the display. This is why I bought the Tom-Tom app for my iPhone so that when I use it for nav when on business travel and in a rental car (employer doesn't reimburse for Rental Car company NAV) I don't have to depend upon a connection...some places I go have outages. But Apple Maps (and the previous Google Maps) app don't have the map data stored on the device.

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to haroldo

Think I found a work around for what I use googlemaps app for almost every work day

I put in longs and lats for rural locations and have it create the path, then I figure out how to really get there last few miles

maps.google.com seems to do it with only a few extra clicks

I only did an easy one so far
Tomorrow I will give it a workout

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
Plainfield, IN
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

Some don't. When you load Navigon it walks you through a setup utility where it downloads maps of whatever states you want.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
Plainfield, IN
reply to djrobx

said by djrobx:

said by ptrowski:

Let's be honest, LTE on the phone is not the huge selling point, I believe a large portion of people skipped the 4s upgrade as it was not a huge change and held out for the 5.

You must be an AT&T customer. Have you tried Verizon 3G? It's pretty painful.

-- Rob

No kidding. I moved to Verizon last year and the data is killing me. The upside is I can actually make calls now all the freakin' time. I paid full price to get my iPhone 5 as I'm on it all day long and the wait for stuff to load was killing me.
Expand your moderator at work

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
reply to haroldo

Re: [Poll]How important an issue Apple Maps to you?

Maybe I'll download the Navigon app as backup. Never hurts to have backup.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to BellBoy

said by BellBoy:

said by ptrowski:

You also thought that Heathrow Fl is more relevant for US citizens than Heathrow Airport.

in which case Apple usually does right by their customers.

"Your holding it wrong!" - yes, they do right by the customers

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to donoreo

These Hitler videos, old and tired... seriously....

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL
reply to BellBoy

And that "little gem" has already been patched, it would have taken Apple what, months to fix it?

dfc888
Premium
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA
reply to haroldo

I like the new GPS turn by turn, but a feature I crave for is the ability to save future route data in case I lose cell coverage. This happened to me last weekend when I went on a rural trip with areas having spotty cell coverage. Thankfully it wasn't too big of a trip and I was able to find my way around.

I do miss Google's transit directions though... but I've since replaced it with a third party Transit app. Kind of stupid to have it pop open a brand new app after the input though...

Street view... I never really used it before, but I wish the feature was still there, for those few occasions when I did and do want to use it.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to Alcohol

Nope, gShills that don't even own the device yet troll ATM crying about it and voting in associated polls.

Cheese
Premium
Naples, FL

said by skeechan:

Nope, gShills that don't even own the device yet troll ATM crying about it and voting in associated polls.

QQ

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
reply to dellsweig

said by dellsweig:

think about those Sprint and Verizon users that will stop navigating when the phone rings!!!!

I've never had a problem... seems like it downloads enough data to begin with to eliminate the problem, and the android phones hae offline maps, soooo... n data connection is even required for me...
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA
reply to haroldo

I have an iPhone 4 and this maps issue is enough to keep me from upgrading to iOS6 and, for now, has kept me from upgrading to the iPhone 5 (although other factors like lack of availability and delayed ship times did play a role). While I don't use maps very often, when I do use it, accuracy is very, very important.

Black_Mage
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to Cheese

said by Cheese:

These Hitler videos, old and tired... seriously....

I was thinking that a couple years ago.