Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia

Sunnews Network closing down?

I was googling for something and it seems that the owner of the building that they currently reside in wants to turn into "Condos" (like there isn't enough in the area).

Since the old Toronto Sun Building has been sold (and there has been some serious retail development in there, along with Coca Cola taking over the top floors) they can't move there. That leaves going back to Montreal and running out of a TVA station.

Big loss of jobs, but then QMI never did care about that.

»www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2012 ··· 4608.pdf
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
There was already talk that Sun TV might have to shut down since they're losing money due to low ratings, low carriage and lack of "must carry" status. I don't think a move to Montreal is in the works.

Besides, would Ezra Levant want to move to separatist-happy PQ territory? Naaaaah!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
For the life of me I don't know why shareholders leave PKP where he is. He bought the last conventional TV license in Toronto, and did nothing with it (besides dismantling it).

All the seasoned staff has either quit or been let go, the place is running on college grads and interns.

Faux news North has been on the books for a long time, I found filings at the CRTC about eliminating the outstanding "tangible benefits" requirements,going back to the Toronto 1 days that were never fulfilled.

Has VTL even gotten off the ground with thier mobile service yet?
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by elwoodblues:

Has VTL even gotten off the ground with thier mobile service yet?

Yes, and for what it's worth their coverage in Quebec and Ottawa is pretty extensive, almost matching Rogers. They've got the most extensive AWS network in their license area of any of the new entrants.

The problem, of course, is that they price themselves like an incumbent, not a new entrant.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
They can afford to. They bought out all of the available spectrum in Quebec at the last auctions, blocking out all possible competition.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

low carriage and lack of "must carry" status.

They will blame the failure on exactly that, rather than trash that it is. And they will say it's the CRTC's fault for not making it a must carry.

Writing is already on the wall for this failure.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to milnoc
said by milnoc:

They can afford to. They bought out all of the available spectrum in Quebec at the last auctions, blocking out all possible competition.

They didn't buy all of it. The incumbents also got some, as did Public Mobile. But they did get enough to keep out any serious traditional new entrants.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Public Mobile got PCS-G, not AWS, and they got it because no one else wanted it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to shrug
said by shrug :

said by milnoc:

low carriage and lack of "must carry" status.

They will blame the failure on exactly that, rather than trash that it is. And they will say it's the CRTC's fault for not making it a must carry.

Writing is already on the wall for this failure.

So much for the $100m over 5yrs they were going to pump into the place.
--
Expand your moderator at work

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Sunnews Network closing down?

I blame Craig Media....if they had just stayed out of Toronto, they wouldn't have gone bankrupt and maybe the broadcasting landscape looks a lot different than it does today...

Toronto was just too big of a nut to crack, even in 2003...I heard it was make or break and it just broke them....

Oh well, what could have been.....

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
It was stupidity that killed them.

They spent a bundle on talent and building the place
They spent a bundle on programming (Nascar, NFL Football to name 2)
They promised ratings that never materialized and thus had to do make goods(provide free advertising to make up for the failure of the first)
They never made use of their national presence , treating Toronto like it's own little island.

The worse thing they did was promise a return on revenue to investors, not on profits.

As for the landscape being different, I don't think so. Dangle enough money in front of someone, they'll sell.

When Alan Waters died (Founder of Chum) the family said that they weren't selling the business. After the obligatory mourning period Along comes CTV with a suitcase of money.. and they sold.

This why I could never figure out why PKP bought Toronto 1. It was like an impulse buy (none of the other networks were allowed to own it)with no idea what to do with it.

He's also made ZERO effort to expand outside of Quebec, when Chum/city went up for grabs, he did nothing, when the City stations were sold to Rogers, he did nothing.

When Global went bankrupt, he did nothing.
--
Expand your moderator at work

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
reply to elwoodblues

Re: Sunnews Network closing down?

Craig got most of their programming from CHUM. When they moved into Toronto, they lost it all. That hurt the company more than anything.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by corster:

Craig got most of their programming from CHUM. When they moved into Toronto, they lost it all. That hurt the company more than anything.

Tell me about it, they started filling the schedule with filler, various cooking shows (some of it ethnic to fulfil their mandate), and bottom of the rung shows from what is now CW (which is exactly what CHCH is doing).
They did buy 60 minutes ,but that was about it for "good" programming.
--

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Most observers at the time were flabbergasted that Torstar didn't get the license and didn't think Craig had it in them to actually run the station. Looks like they were right.

I believe CTV also applied for the license, with the intention of launching - you guessed it - CTV Two. Everything that's old is new again.