Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BajaSat

join:2003-10-15
Placerville, CA
reply to Sandy T

Re: HughesNet Gen4 Buyer Beware

The poor quality of HughesNet's auto-notification Emails sent to new customer sign ups are the problem. They are not very descriptive and do not include any mention of discounts or special offers, nor does it include local taxes.

I answer this question frequently after I place an order. Here is an exerpt from an auto-otification sent to a Gen4 pre-sale customer:
Thank you for your order.
Please print this email for your records.

The Summary of your order:
Order Number: 434XXXX
Payment Option: Lease -
Service Plan: HughesNet Gen4 Power - $59.99
Site Account Number (SAN): DSS3026XXXX
PIN #: XXXX

Dear HughesNet Member,

Congratulations and thank you for signing up to be among the first to upgrade to HughesNet Gen4!

In Fall 2012, Hughes is rolling out its 4th-generation high-speed satellite Internet service – HughesNet Gen4 – to give you more of what you need, including dramatically improved performance and support for high-bandwidth applications like video and music.
Your dealer should be able to supply you with a breakdown of costs and discounts, since they have access to this information. However, if you placed your order directly through HughesNet rather than a local dealer, you may hve more trouble getting this info since the CSRs there may have no idea what you're talking about (having never seen these Emails).

Bottom line: Check his/her rep first, but buy from a local dealer instead of from HN. A good dealer should know the ins and outs of getting you what you're expecting, and going to bat for you with HN in case of a problem. They can also fix your order quickly in case of an error.
--
Baja Satellite
US and Baja Mexico
»www.BajaSatellite.com

TW

@myvzw.com
You don't only have to beware of the contract price. We were with HughesNet for years and years and had trouble with equipment constantly. But worse...the advertised download speeds were a joke. They were not even near what was advertised and you can just google to find that complaint everywhere. So I am extremely wary of the advertised download speeds of Gen4 until I see quotes from actual people that it is as advertised (notice that they say 'up to' 10Mbps). The 20Gig/month allowance is especially what got my attention. If download speeds are truly as advertised then the 20Gig/month allowance beats Verizon's 5Gig/month allowance!

Kman08

@184.21.45.x
reply to BajaSat
I am on Exede as of today and cancelling my Hughes account. I was tired of all the drama. Called Exede las Friday, I am up and running this morning on the Exede 12 plan, @79.99 a month, 15GB unlimited nights, all my emails are up and running, no issues yet. Nice speeds so far, not HOT, but not cold either.

I prepaid the lease up for two years and saved $40.00. So far so good.

nedriv

join:2006-08-07
Somerset, CA
said by Kman08 :

I am on Exede as of today and cancelling my Hughes account. I was tired of all the drama. Called Exede las Friday, I am up and running this morning on the Exede 12 plan, @79.99 a month, 15GB unlimited nights, all my emails are up and running, no issues yet. Nice speeds so far, not HOT, but not cold either.

I prepaid the lease up for two years and saved $40.00. So far so good.

At the end of the 2 year contract, do you have to pay the lease monthly then?
--
HN9000 /

Kman08

@184.21.45.x
So far, right now, yes they will reinstate the lease fee at the end of the contract. And of course today Hughes came out with the purchase option. ha ha. I will call Exede tomorrow to see if they plan to follow Hughes or not. See what I get told.

But I planned to cross the bridge when I get there. So far this is working very good though.