Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to dmas1er

MVM

to dmas1er

Re: Technical challange!

Any self-respecting computer geek should have a ditchwitch in their computer repair kit. Put it to good use and then drop in new conduit and lines.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Kalford:

Any self-respecting computer geek should have a ditchwitch in their computer repair kit. Put it to good use and then drop in new conduit and lines.

I used to think I was pretty good at the computer geek thing but I have no fucking clue what a ditchwitch is...

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by nitzguy:

4 wires eh?.....who knew...I thought you always needed a minimum 8....I'd say that the connectivity you'd get out of a 4 wire phone line, even if its a short distance, will be pretty crappy....interference from anywhere could mess with it....then you get errors, and errors are bad ...

Um, 100Mbit Ethernet has always used just four wires - the green and the orange pairs, with the brown and blue being either completely unused or used for voice. It wasn't until Gigabit that all four pairs were used.

If the run is less than 100m and the wire running underneath is at least Category 3 which was common for phone lines, he could do 10Mbit Ethernet just fine. If it's Cat5 he could do 100. If it's more than 100m or it's less than Cat3 for the wiring he'd need one of those VDSL or network extender solutions.

Pardon my ignorance...what are the other 4 wires for and if that was the case, why the hell did my instructor make me crip 500 wires one afternoon as we were doing runs for a classroom?

Had I known I wouldn't have done the others, and saved myself a hella lot of frustration in the process lol. (This was in 1999 when Gigabit was just pie in the sky, we were just happy to have a 100mbit switch...but had mostly 10mbit switches).
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to dmas1er

Premium Member

to dmas1er
said by dmas1er:

So, here it is.

We have a outdoor pavilion at one of my work locations that is about 50 meters away from the main "Branch".

Get a directional drilling crew in to 'torpedo' a 3/4" or 1" PEX pipe as a conduit under the parking lot. Pex pipe can be had in 300' rolls @ 3/4" diameter. Or you can get a 2" HDPE pipe if you want to stuff al lot of cables in it. Either way, they can get it installed in less than a day without disrupting traffic on the surface. If you get bids, the whole exercise should come in under $2k.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by Kalford:

I used to think I was pretty good at the computer geek thing but I have no fucking clue what a ditchwitch is...

this
»www.ditchwitch.com/

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

It looks exactly like an iPhone!

CheckFire
Premium Member
join:2004-01-01
Abbotsford, BC

CheckFire to dmas1er

Premium Member

to dmas1er
I have never don it , but a number a years ago I read something about
using 2 dsl modems and an old or no longer used phone line.

As it was so long ago I can't remember much more other that it worked
and speeds were good.

If nothing else its something to look into.

Kalford
Seems To Be An Rtfm Problem.
MVM
join:2001-03-20
Ontario

Kalford to MaynardKrebs

MVM

to MaynardKrebs
More specifically. . .this

»www.ditchwitch.com/trenc ··· /JT4020/

no computer repair kit should be without.

dmas1er
join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Get a directional drilling crew in to 'torpedo' a 3/4" or 1" PEX pipe as a conduit under the parking lot. Pex pipe can be had in 300' rolls @ 3/4" diameter. Or you can get a 2" HDPE pipe if you want to stuff al lot of cables in it. Either way, they can get it installed in less than a day without disrupting traffic on the surface. If you get bids, the whole exercise should come in under $2k.

Its funny you say that. A couple years back we had fiber installed at one of our locations and Aecon tried to torpedo it across our parking lot. It was suppose to be a 1 day job/2 man crew. It took 3 days, double the crew a backhoe with a jack hammer + a ripped up parking lot. Apparently torpedoing only works really well when you don't have large chunks of concrete buried.

That bill was not 2k ... but the distance is about the same.

Unfortunately we do not own this building which really limits our options as far as contracting that type of work out.
dmas1er

dmas1er to Kalford

to Kalford
said by Kalford:

More specifically. . .this

»www.ditchwitch.com/trenc ··· /JT4020/

no computer repair kit should be without.

Its funny you brought that up.... years ago I was helping a friend get caught up on some work. He was a first year electrical apprentice & we used a machine very similar to that.

Apparently first year guys get to spend a lot of time digg'n ditch's and bending pipe.

Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

1 edit

Warez_Zealot to dmas1er

to dmas1er
You could try this: »hardware.slashdot.org/st ··· pointers

Alternately why not just get an ISP connection and VPN back to the main office?

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to dmas1er

Premium Member

to dmas1er
said by dmas1er:

Its funny you brought that up.... years ago I was helping a friend get caught up on some work. He was a first year electrical apprentice & we used a machine very similar to that.

Apparently first year guys get to spend a lot of time digg'n ditch's and bending pipe.

First year kids bending pipe? No way! They are good for getting coffee and carrying heavy stuff. Maybe digging ditches, if they are in the advanced program...

OP - have you had a contractor come and try to blow out or rod the duct? How did you determine it was crushed or plugged? Can get a LOT of work done for a grand - and locating/fixing broken ducts isn't a big deal...

Failing that - or if it's not in the budget - then I'd skip trying to go native Ethernet, and go straight to a line driver/xDSL type setup, myself. Trying to do 5-10 meg over that sort of distance should be a peice of cake; espically with two pairs to work with.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Pardon my ignorance...what are the other 4 wires for and if that was the case, why the hell did my instructor make me crip 500 wires one afternoon as we were doing runs for a classroom?

So that when Gigabit came out these cables you made ten years prior would still work!

In all seriousness though, the extra four weren't used for 10 or 100Mbit Ethernet. On a single Cat5 drop the extra two pairs would be used for voice, meaning a data line and two telephone lines. When Gigabit came out all four pairs ended up being used, which caused headaches in buildings which used the extra two pairs for voice.

I made plenty of lazy four wire Ethernet cables in the same timeframe your instructor was wrapping your knuckles and all of mine worked just fine - at least until Gigabit came out
Gone

Gone to dmas1er

Premium Member

to dmas1er
Floating through the Google I managed to find various VDSL2 extension kits in the $200 range, probably from the US. That's probably the best you're going to be able to do.

»www.versatek.com/index.p ··· kit.html

In similar circumstances, this is what I would do. Like I said though, my only concerned is that is could cause bundle interference with the DSL line that's already running through the other wires.

Shame you didn't have some coax running through, MoCA would most likely work and end up being a lot cheaper.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
I've always been horrible at making cables. To this day I refuse to make them, (extremely long runs, I let someone else crimp on the ends).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

I've always been horrible at making cables. To this day I refuse to make them, (extremely long runs, I let someone else crimp on the ends).

I can make them blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back.

Well, maybe not blindfolded, but I'm serious when I say one hand tied behind my back.

Do I enjoy it though? Not really, haha. Coax is so much easier.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Not my skill set, I know it's not hard, but i just don't have that finesse...

I worked for this one company where the owners husband wanted to make the cables. I had a 50% failure rate. I finally convinced the Office Manager that with the OT they were paying me, it was cheaper to just buy the damn things.

Pauly
join:2004-05-29
canada

Pauly to Gone

to Gone
install overhead wire with a hydro pole and run to your location if underground is not an option

urbanriot
Premium Member
Canada

urbanriot to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

I was like that in the early 90's, stubbornly against crimping network ends because I just couldn't do one. Then I think around 1994 I was at a site which didn't have it's fancy patch blocks available so I had to temporarily crimp around 1,000 ends and after the first 50, like Gone, I can do it with ease and it's like riding a bike... I haven

Like Gone though, I still don't like doing it.

dmas1er
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er to LazMan

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

OP - have you had a contractor come and try to blow out or rod the duct? How did you determine it was crushed or plugged? Can get a LOT of work done for a grand - and locating/fixing broken ducts isn't a big deal...

Failing that - or if it's not in the budget - then I'd skip trying to go native Ethernet, and go straight to a line driver/xDSL type setup, myself. Trying to do 5-10 meg over that sort of distance should be a piece of cake; espically with two pairs to work with.

We have a pull string in the hole that will not move a inch..... we also tried running a super long fish through... hits a brick wall about 30 meters in......

We have not tried blowing it out yet, we would have to contract it out and the building owners are very picky about who they have work on the property.

As a last resort we may have to get the pipe fixed if the 4 wire connection or the DSL lan bridge does not suffice.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Do you remember what type of cable you ran through? If it's at least Cat3 you're going to save yourself a lot of aggravation and money.

dmas1er
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er to urbanriot

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

said by elwoodblues:

I was like that in the early 90's, stubbornly against crimping network ends because I just couldn't do one. Then I think around 1994 I was at a site which didn't have it's fancy patch blocks available so I had to temporarily crimp around 1,000 ends and after the first 50, like Gone, I can do it with ease and it's like riding a bike... I haven

Like Gone though, I still don't like doing it.

If you cant make your own cables, you will sooner or later make the "networking closet hall of messyness fame".

We try to always cut our cables to length. The job always looks neat and professional when we are done.

With that being said. I have walked into plenty of patch rooms where 6 foot patch cords are used for a 2 foot patch.

After the first couple it looks like a spaghetti explosion.

dmas1er

dmas1er to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Do you remember what type of cable you ran through? If it's at least Cat3 you're going to save yourself a lot of aggravation and money.

I will check it out tomorrow when I am on site. All I remember was it was a 6 wire cable. Almost looked like underground phone cable. Last time I was there it was dark and hard to see anything.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If it's six wire cable it most likely won't be Ethernet grade. Knowing me, I'd still try it before I spent $225 on a LAN bridge, though.
Gone

Gone to dmas1er

Premium Member

to dmas1er
said by dmas1er:

If you cant make your own cables, you will sooner or later make the "networking closet hall of messyness fame".

... which is exactly what I did here at our store last night when I was "cleaning up" the wiring room, because I didn't want to cut and crimp cables to length.

Wire tires are a wonderful thing

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to dmas1er

MVM

to dmas1er
said by dmas1er:

said by Gone:

I will check it out tomorrow when I am on site. All I remember was it was a 6 wire cable. Almost looked like underground phone cable. Last time I was there it was dark and hard to see anything.

As I mentioned - test it.
I've had luck with 100Mbps over some ~50m using old phone wiring (not even CAT3) without any issues. But your mileage may (and will) vary ...worth trying though IMO. You can always get the VDSL extenders or get a shovel
Just make sure you don't connect the ends to some 'green' power saving switches that will try to reduce power on those ports.

dmas1er
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er

It will hopefully be going to a Procurve 1810G switch.

What do you recommend to test? Bring a notebook that has a intel nic and run the cable diagnostics? Or should I be looking for a new tool to purchase. Or cable tester consists of 8 lights

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Crimp both ends, hook up either ends to your network and see if they all talk to each other?

dmas1er
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er

said by Gone:

Crimp both ends, hook up either ends to your network and see if they all talk to each other?

That is my first test

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano

MVM

Yeah, I did the same. Then I've ran some transfers a and was watching error statistics on the interfaces on each side (in my case zero errors full 100Mbps). Also if the NIC has 'cable tester' functionality do that too.