uniqs
share rss forum feed

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

When you're not gaming you are...

When you guys here aren't gaming what other hobbies are you in too? Just curious. Hopefully this thread isn't moved as I want to see what other fellow PC gamers are into other than gaming.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2

When I'm not gaming, I enjoy...

- Reading on the can
- Playing tabletop games (board games, pen & paper games (D&D, etc.), miniatures wargaming, Magic TCG)
- Watching movies in the theatre (even if it is balls out expensive)
- Shooting at a range

That's what I can think of off the top of my noggin.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to I AM

Reading and writing takes up most of the hobby time when not gaming.

Board games is also a big hobby of mine. I know, it's gaming... but it's different.

Or, if the weather is nice, I love taking the bike out. Living right next to one of the best bike paths in the city is a nice advantage.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to I AM

Just married in March so whatever non gaming time is spent with my wife. She is also a lot more social so I attend a lot more social events than before :P

I do get to read about GW2 or whatever on my ipad when we are watching some girly movie though

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to I AM

Spending time with my little boys, playing, etc.

Working on cars. I love auto detailing. I've spent many hours using/working with Adam's Polishes.

Working around my house. Owning a house is a lot of work. Usually on weekends I'm doing yardwork, etc.

This weekend I'm replacing some pieces of grass in my backyard that didn't make it over the summer.

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
reply to I AM

Enjoying the company of my family....That's about all I have time for as there is always something we have to get done. Still have a backlog of things that need to be done around the house. Work days consist of 3-4 free hours that are spent cleaning house and taking care of the kids for the time. Weekends we have to do the shopping and catch up of the stuff that require us to go out. Moving around with twin toddlers and a 6 year old tends to be difficult. We have some time in the evening of the weekends to be able to visit with other family members or some of the wife's friends. I don't have the time to play with my friends because that takes several hours which I don't have. If I were able to play with them it would pen and ink/ miniature gaming, or board gaming, or maybe Magic CCG.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to I AM

- Cleaning, working on house
- Working on parents house (they getting older and need help)
- Getting car stuff done
- Movies, RedBox/Netflix or the actual movie theatre
- Time with wife
- Time with family
- FOOTBALL NFL
- F-in work, and terrible long commute

suffer

LoL may turn into my go-to game... just by natural process I really am no longer able to make the time commitment to vodeo games that mmos require

LoL I can feel competitive without having to have 100 hours in on a single toon

if you aren't maintaining family and friend relationships, you are playing vodeo games too much!

Nesse

join:2009-06-12
Naperville, IL
reply to ekster

said by ekster:

Or, if the weather is nice, I love taking the bike out. Living right next to one of the best bike paths in the city is a nice advantage.

This.... only I cant take my bike out on bike paths. Too Fast.. Too Loud. LOL

Actually took a long weekend. Sept 7 - 10 and took the bike for a 4 day ride down the Mississippi river and into St. Louis with a friend. The weather wasnt perfect. There were some mechanical issues. (his bike, not mine) and we ended up having to cut it short a day thanks to a bad stator. A replacement battery and a long cold dark ride home from just outside of St. Louis to Chicago. Aside from that, it was a pretty fun trip.

I have noticed a trend the last two years with my end of summer trips. They tend to start out wet the first day with temps dropping as much as 30 degrees before I return home.

Fiftycals

join:2010-02-16
El Paso, TX
reply to I AM

Spending time with the wife and kids.
Riding ATV's.
Playing sports. (Softball, baseball, racquetball)
Reading.
Media editing.

tman852

join:2010-07-06

1 recommendation

reply to I AM

Skydiving. Class B licensed, 117 jumps in the past 4 months.

I'm the one on the upper right with the red/blue rig. »normankentproductions.zenfolio.c···411c4a4e

Here's my 100th jump celebration skydive, basically all my friends taking pop shots at me and beating my ass in free fall.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC6NhDnziVM

--
Core i7 920 @ 3.5ghz | OCZ Obsidian 6GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM | EVGA X58 tri SLI-LE mobo | EVGA GTX 570 | Antec 750w PSU | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD | WD Black 1TB HDD | Antec 1200 Case | G15 keyboard | G9x mouse | G35 Headset | Asus 23" LED-LCD

Kulldar
Premium
join:2008-11-11
Warren, MI

Sweet! I tried to jump for my 30th birthday. I didn't take the classes or whatever, just tried to do a tandem jump with someone experienced. The only local place I could find had a weight limit of like 230 lbs. I was 10 pounds over.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to I AM

Awesome replies by all. It is great to see across the board everyone loving spending time with their families (I agree with you TheThing).

@Goggalor - What kind of Guns do you shoot?
@Ghastly - Can you detail my car? haha.
@skydiving - too scary for me

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Still figuring it out. I was medically discharged from the military earlier this year, and still have related surgeries to under-go, so right now I am in a holding pattern and trying to recover.

Ten hour work-days with a 3-hour commute doesn't leave a lot of time to do much at night when you figure in making dinner and work around the house. I try to get a couple games in before bed, but that's it during the week.

My hold-over hobbies are shooting (have my tri-gun set-up) and Crossfit.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Isn't working 10 hours with a 3 hour commute harmful for you?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by I AM:

Isn't working 10 hours with a 3 hour commute harmful for you?

Many things are "harmful" to you in life. But we do what we gotta do to accomplish the mission. The upshot is that I work Tue-Fri, so I get Mondays off.

I read a study recently that said sitting for more than 3 hours a day shortens your life. I don't see anyone changing job schedules because of it.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to I AM

Well I think most of my coworkers and even some of my not super close friends don't even realize that I play video games much.

I play soccer(several teams including my base team), flag football, I lift weights everyday for atleast an hour. I golf weekly, and wathc football whenever its on. I spend a fair amount of time taking care of my house and yard ensuring they are the nicest on the block.

Most importantly my wife is finishing her PhD so I spend a lot of time with her in the lab finishing experiments and or side projects so that she can finish her PhD before I PCS.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

I'd love to work 10 hour days if I could get a third day off every week. In fact, I suggested that to my boss just last week. Resistance is strong but I may be able to wear her down over time.

When I'm not gaming I read a lot. I read sci-fi/fantasy books and I have a go to list of web sites with different things to keep me interested.

I watch tons of football (duh) and hockey (sadly, not this year) and work in a few Cardinal games when I can. I also have about a half dozen tv shows that I dvr and watch with my wife. When I sit down on the couch it's funny to watch my kids realize that the computer is open and race to see who can get there first.

I play golf when I get the chance, which isn't all that often. Maybe once or twice a month if I'm lucky. When I was younger I played hockey and softball four or five nights a week.

I do most of the cooking and I'm the enforcer when the kids aren't behaving. I try to make my wife take the kids to their activities but we have four so I end up doing quite a bit of that as well.

I avoid yardwork like the plague, though I did put grass seeds down this weekend. I think it's because my dad always made me get up early and mow the lawn when I was a kid so I grew to absolutely hate it.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
reply to I AM

I love to game, but am also a lifelong reader and usually read an hour or so a night before bed. I like sci fi, fantasy, and horror and have recently discovered Joe Hill, whose books and comics I am enjoying immensely. I also enjoy smoking meats on the weekend. Pork shoulders are relatively cheap and are just about the best thing ever if done correctly. My smoked wings are quickly becoming famous in the family. Also, I like beer, and try to try out something new at least a couple of times a month.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

I like to bbq, read and movies when there is a chance.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·WIND Mobile
reply to I AM

I love games but I don't get enough time to play them... I get maybe one half hour session a week by myself, and maybe another online gaming session with friends and/or my wife every couple of weeks.

The rest of the time includes:

-work (8.5 hours + 45 mins each way on public transit)
-Non VG time with my wife
-Spending time with my daughter
-Spending time with non-video gaming friends
-Whiskey exploration
-Cottaging during the summer
-Housework

Not a whole lot of time really, which is sad, but I wouldn't really want to cut out anything else either. I guess it's better to be busy and have stuff going on
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Xentoch

join:2012-08-30
Chicago, IL
reply to I AM

When im not gaming, I'm usually....

- In the garage working on my car
- Building model cars
- Working around the house/yard work
- Brewing beer
- Spending time with the GF
- Going out with friends/family
- Working 10-12 hr days

Looking at my list...now i know why my gaming playtime has greatly diminished. Hopefully work slows down for winter and I will have more time to play.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

@Kris
What I meant was I read you were discharged medically. Isn't it more harmful to you now with you working those kind of hours.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by I AM:

@Kris
What I meant was I read you were discharged medically. Isn't it more harmful to you now with you working those kind of hours.

Hardly. You can be considered medically unfit for military duty and still be in LE or work an active lifestyle. It basically means the military doesn't want to put up with my injury. They are drastically downsizing and looking for excuses to put people out--at least the Marines are.

I've moved on to bigger or better things, so I didn't fight it like I could have, and I still have the option to go back into the Reserves once I completely recover and get a clean bill of health from my doctor.
--

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to I AM

Kris - you forgot building PCs as a hobby! and researching them!

I read somewhere, that some asian culture (small country) has the longest average lifespan of the entire world (maybe 90+) can't remember

their secret? everyone walks at least 3 miles a day out of necessity to get food/water! even the old folk!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 edit

said by TheThing:

Kris - you forgot building PCs as a hobby! and researching them!

Haha woops, yeah--big hobby of mine.

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

Wishing I was gaming mostly and other stuff.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

How do you guys find enough time in a day to do all this other stuff?

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
reply to I AM

Playing Magic: The Gathering (does this count as gaming if I am not doing it on a computer, but in person with other people!?)

Working
Doing something with my wife
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
reply to I AM

Lets see...
I enjoy spending time with the GF and taking my dogs out to the beach.
Other than that i spend the majority of my time traveling for work so usually when i am at home i am just relaxing. Sad that cutting the grass has become a very relaxing, enjoyable experience. Just feels nice to not be stuck in some airport or in some hotel on foreign soil...

My other hobbies have been put on hold until travel dies down. But i was an avid gun collector and enjoy building cars ,just sold my 79 project vette due to lack of free time...

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

Oh. Any pics of the vettes? Anyone having pics of their hobbies? Like reading on the can?