how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Kemeko

join:2010-05-03

1 edit

Congestion at CO (again...)

Sooo I have a Siemens SE567 router with frontier and am quite certain that my slow speeds of late are attribuited to tFrontier's local CO, but instead of helping me the tech support has decided that it is a problem "with my computer" (her exact words).

At this point my download speeds are around 30k and holding whilst they used to be 120k only a couple weeks ago. I told the tech support lady that if i switched to a dif. phone company with 56k dial-up it would be around the same speeds, but much cheaper than the 50$ a month im currently paying for this piece of s**t. (Except i didn't say piece of s**t to her just to you guys on here as i am disgruntled!)

Aaaaanyway she agreed with me that it would be much cheaper, but i wouldn't have such a solid connection. I almost burst out laughing, but somehow held it back as in the past i've had horrible problems with their connection. Everytime it would rain outside or snow a little bit the line would go out. Especially if the snow was melting.

I'm changing my review of the company to reflect the recent b.s. as once before Smith helped me by telling me of the CO congestion problems which i relayed to tech support and magically a day or two later my connection speed was fantastic! Sadly that is not that case currently.

This was mostly a rant and maybe a little bit of a cry for help as i doubt i will ever call their tech support ever again except to cancel my net.

I will be sending in a resume to join frontier communications tech support listing my skills/abilities as: Treating the customer as if they were worthless and trying to rip them off anyway i can, maybe i'll offer a 9.99$ premium tech support, if the customer asks "Can i talk to the manager?" I will reply with "GUESS WHAT!? I AM THE MANAGER B****!" and then finally if someone asks why their speeds are slow i will reply with "it is your computer's fault".

qi6588

join:2009-05-19
Shepherdstown, WV
You're not alone. Got the same problem in Jefferson County, WV. Everything was fine -- well as fine as the lousy 1.5Mbps service can be -- last week but now, things are at dial-up speeds. So, so tired of this lousy service but they're the only game in town other than satellite. I've taken to using my cell phone and tethering it to my laptop so I can get 3Mbps or higher but I blow through my 4GB monthly data cap before the end of the month so I need to watch things.

The local tech who services our area has done what he can but it's mostly out of his hands. He's a good guy and I don't fault him. In fact I feel sorry for him for having to deal with problems he can't solve. So, he I sit -- again -- paying DSL fees for dialup performance.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Yeah same here. Been up and down the last few nights. Did a test earlier this evening because it appeared slower than normal. 988 down and 135 up. Oh, will only a 45 second delay. The investment here in WV is wonderful, can't wait for the other improvements. I did have to laugh when I saw the new site that said we can get 6 mb down.

lunanox315

join:2012-09-27
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Kemeko
I'm between Martinsburg and Charles Town in WV and the same thing is happening to me. Usually during peak hours I get 800kbps download, but the last 2 weeks or so it's dropped to 100 kbps. I called tech support and they are supposed to send someone to clean the line (again) and see about rerouting my service through another system and taking out a bridge tap.

My next battle is with Comcast to see how much I can bribe them to hook me into their system even though technically as the power lines go I'm 650' from the road.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
Yes, its your computers fault. I will admit I have not heard that one, yet. But give them some time it will probably be placed on the cards they read from.

I am surprised that those of us that live in the Panhandle have yet to learn that we are just complaining to be complaining about the service in this area. At least that is what some that participate in this forum believe. I certainly wish they received the same support in their areas that we receive.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Kemeko
said by Kemeko:

the tech support has decided that it is a problem "with my computer" (her exact words).

Its gotten to the point where I don't even understand why companies have "tech support".

My guess is its just a stalling tactic

qi6588

Shepherdstown, WV
reply to lunanox315
said by lunanox315:

I get 800kbps download, but the last 2 weeks or so it's dropped to 100 kbps. I called tech support and they are supposed to send someone to clean the line (again) and see about rerouting my service through another system and taking out a bridge tap.

Sounds like your service is very similar to mine and it sounds like we have identical issues. My neighbor flagged me down earlier in the week and wondered if we had the same issue he was having so it sounds area wide. I'd be curious to see what the tech can do for you.

I plan to suck it up and put in the trouble ticket early next week when I can devote some time to the usual "kabuki theater" they put us all through with the modem check, plug and unplug, how many lights are on etc. etc.

SlowInJeffCo

@frontiernet.net
reply to qi6588
Just outside of Shepherdstown here and have the exact same issues. When we first got DSL here, we were getting over 3m down, but are now provisioned at 1344/192. And we never get that, 400k is more typical on a good day. The last few weeks are slower than dial-up. Frontier's own speed test won't even load. The local manager (probably the same as yours) insists that improvements are in process and should be in place in a few weeks. It was promised to be compete by now but he said everything was put on hold while they recovered from the storm awhile back that did so much infrastructure damage. I actually believe that, but am skeptical that anything will actually improve. Like you said, the local techs are great and know how bad it is, but there is nothing they can do.

qi6588

Shepherdstown, WV
said by SlowInJeffCo :

The last few weeks are slower than dial-up. Frontier's own speed test won't even load. The local manager (probably the same as yours) insists that improvements are in process and should be in place in a few weeks.

Well, this is better news than no news I guess. I DID see trucks and crews stringing new wire last year and was told by the local tech that this was in preparation for getting faster service online by early 2012. However, I'm wondering if they were really just trying to bring more folks online in the north eastern part of the county.

I don't begrudge that since everyone needs their interweb. But, here we are in late 2012 and there hasn't been any improvment. And here I sit after 1am Eastern Time and all is well, back up to my normal 1100-ish/180-ish speeds so I guess we'll have to make due in the early evenings.

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
reply to Kemeko
The techs here in western wv are also mentioning that the storms that we had are delaying DSL roll outs and the improvements to the network that they have been planning.

lunanox315

join:2012-09-27
Martinsburg, WV
reply to Kemeko
So I had my ticket "answered" yesterday but last night was still really bad. Called today and was told that they will have someone physically switch me to another "piece of equipment" but that if there is something wrong that is not Frontier's fault (wiring at the house) then there might be charges. I almost laughed at that - there is nothing wrong that isn't on Frontier's end.

I did read today about broadband satellite that sounded promising for regular internet users, but as I play online games the latency would kill me (1000-1500 ms latency)

»mashable.com/2012/09/27/dish-net···oadband/

staregazer

join:2006-12-15
reply to Kemeko
It is pretty sad since we have seen the day that satellite broadband is actually much faster than DSL in many areas.

cprgolds
Woof Woof
Premium
join:2000-12-22
Portland, OR
reply to Kemeko
Unless I am missing something, it would really add value to your post if you showed your location.

Rick

press1280

@184.19.214.x
I'm near Martinsburg, for the past few weeks my pages won't load without numerous refreshes, I'll lose internet access here and there, and it'll just be flat out slow. When I get on at 4AM, everything moves quite well. It seems the system can't handle the volume anymore.

co

@frontiernet.net
conjustion just about go at my co they been put down new fiber optic and ping whent from 80/95ms in peak hours to 70/75ms ping since the started putting new fiber and vdsl copper line down modem still set at 1.3 and i pay for 3mbps but i think they will put it at the old max aka 3mbps or the new max plan aka 6mbps soon since i have the westell 7500 modem

cool88

@frontiernet.net
does anyone know when they will put everyone they capped thats getting upgrade to there max plan that they pay for and by the way i am co forgot to change it before i posted the thing