StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) 4.1.0522.0 released

said by LadyL:

(*&%% red icon again...did what had to be done after I opened it...1minute later...icon went green *sighs*

Oh, I thought it stayed red.

My older machine (referenced in my WDO rants above) does that sometimes at reboot. It is obvious (to me anyway) that it's just very busy with stuff starting up and MSE has a problem connecting to its Windows service. Once things are started and CPU usage goes down MSE is able to do it's thing and the icon goes green by itself.

I've never worried about it.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

said by THZNDUP:

I'm assuming you're creating the usb drive on the older machine?

Yes I am. As I said the problem is that Microsoft has replaced the imagepackage32.exe file on their server. This appears to use Win8 for booting and Win8 doesn't support older processors.

I've searched and cannot find a (direct download) link to the previous version of imagepackage32.exe that worked just fine.

I (foolishly) assumed that Microsoft had updated the WDO scanning engine etc but hadn't changed the underlying O/S (Win7 I think) it runs on. Never assume...

The irony is that MSE (the same new version) runs just fine on that old box.

I finally did try downloading the 32-bit installer from MS and then selected to create an ISO with which I burned a CD. The CD would boot and load files, but then it simply halted with a blank screen and no further activity. Since there was no error code displayed and no indication of why it halted, I cannot say what the issue is with my older XP SP3 system, but I can say that the new version does not work. Fortunately, I still had an old MS Standalone System Sweeper installer from 2011. I ran that again and it was able to download and create an ISO from which I burned a CD that would boot, load files and bring up the screen for Windows Defender Offline. The version appears to be 4.0.1517.0, which is also the same version that is produced by the USB installer for which you provided the link. Sad that they did not retain a place to download the earlier version at Microsoft. There are lots of third-party locations listed for the Standalone Sweeper.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by rcdailey:

Sad that they did not retain a place to download the earlier version at Microsoft.

Yup.

And why use Win8 (other than it's the latest and "greatest") for WDO v4.1.522 since MSE v4.1.522 will run just fine on older boxes? Was the decision a developers or is Microsoft sending a message?

Either way I (and anyone reading this thread) have a solution that works

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

I am glad that I tend to save things that I should probably delete. I guess this is further proof that the jig is up for Win XP.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by rcdailey:

I guess this is further proof that the jig is up for Win XP.

Not if you're saving full installers etc as you are. I'm now saving the full WDO install files

Can't say I care what Microsoft does going forward...

("We support one O/S and that's Windows 8!")

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

Since I have the ISO files saved on disk, I won't have to download anything. If new definitions continue to be available, things will be okay.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by rcdailey:

If new definitions continue to be available, things will be okay.

Just get them manually

Windows Defender Offline (x86) Definitions

Windows Defender Offline (x64) Definitions

and put the file in the root of whatever media (USB/CD/DVD) you're using

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
But when the previous version, before the one that was updated 9/25, had the same problem...red icon, then green after a few minutes,etc.
The one that was just updated fixed that problem...now this new updated version is doing the same d__n thing !
Think I'll just uninstall MSE - got the full details,etc. - from M$ Answers.com...when that is done, I'll re-install MSE and see what happens.
I have nothing better to do than be on pogo.com, dslr & watch my dvds

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well MSE v4.0.1517.0 (the previous version) did the red/green icon thing for me.

But if you have nothing better to do perhaps a nuke and pave is in order
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

redwolfe_98 to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
LadyL, i thought you said that the problem straitened itself out?

anyway, yes, i think that trying a "clean" install of the MSE program is a good idea, if you are having problems with it..

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I'll try tonight. *fingers crossed*
LadyL

LadyL to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
No no...the version that was just updated was the one that fixed the previous version...this new updated version is doing what the '2' versions previously had that problem.
sorry for the confusion.
It's just like that installed latest java jre7 and it's problems...I uninstalled that and went back to jre 6.35...and everything is a-ok.
LadyL

LadyL

Premium Member

Well, I followed all the instructions per website answers.microsoft.com...downloaded the software Fixit...followed all the instructions...rebooted as per instructions, then went to the M$ website for MSE...downloaded it,etc...let it do its' thing...then rebooted...would you believe??? *throws hands up in the air* same damn problem again !!!!
Guess, when I have to reboot for whatever reason, I'll just have to 'turn on the protection' as requested in the software...wait 1or2 minutes until the icon turns green.
I refuse to remove MSE...1. it's free 2. it works 3. grin & bear it

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Out of curiosity.

When you reboot do you login to Windows as soon as the dialog is displayed or do you wait a while (i.e. until the HD activity light stops blinking)?

I rebooted my (old & slow) WinXP SP3 box last night. Waited (as above) and had a green MSE icon upon login. If I login immediately (when the machine is still busy) I'll sometimes get a red icon. It'll go green by itself (no action on my part) after a while.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

reboot...windows does load...ql icons,clock,etc...then the icon in systray next to clock shows up as red...all windows processes have been processed...I then open the red icon and 'turn on the protection'...wait 1-2 minutes...and then, after the hourglass has changed to a regular pointer...the icon is green.
Maybe I'll try NOT opening the red icon and see how long it takes to go green... *Kermit where are you?*
LadyL

LadyL

Premium Member

ok...rebooted @9:58...10AM desktop & red icon...10:02 icon changed to green.
I didn't open it at all.
Guess I'll just wait those extra 2minutes or whatever and just let the icon change colors by itself !

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
said by LadyL:

*Kermit where are you?*

It's not easy being green

And one has to be patient with older machines...
Just don't give them Java

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Well, my machine is now 5yrs old...and I need the Java for playing games on pogo.com
I can't afford a new machine and I don't like Windows 7,etc. or anything other than IE7...I love my Vista Home Basic ! *stubborn I am*

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by LadyL:

*stubborn I am*

Ok Yoda

I have a 10-yr old box running Win2K SP4, a 7-yr old one running WinXP SP3 and a 3 month old with Win7 (replaced a dead 5-yr old Vista SP2 PC).

I bought the Win7 one in June since pretty soon you'll only be able to get Win8 on new machines.

I also have VM's (Virtual Machines) for everything from PC-DOS 2.1 to Vista SP2

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

This pc I have now is only the 2nd pc I've owned...started using a puter in 2000...had it for 7yrs & HD died...it was easier & cheaper just to get a new pc I don't do much on this pc...pogo, here,pay bills online,etc....no videos,music or pics...not even messenger stuff...except for the one on dslr.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Until MSE loads all it's processes the icon will remain red. Once fully loaded it will turn green. This is normal. Yellow indicates user attention, IE, update status, or scan status.

I however got rid of MSE, as the memory usage was way too high with the recent versions.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by poppster:

...memory usage was way too high with the recent versions.

Interesting. I dumped Norton Anti-Virus (a long time ago) and then McAfee (years ago) because they slowed machines to a crawl by excessive RAM/CPU use. MSE does slow things slightly but hasn't been a resource hog in my experience even with "real-time protection" enabled.

poppster
Tell the truth and then run.
Premium Member
join:2003-12-23
Midwest

poppster to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
right now avast is running around 40k with it's two processes, and for some reason the new version of MSE was running at 90k, sometimes higher, and actually had missed a backdoor trojan that MBAM found. I just dont feel comfortable with their real time protection anymore. It just seems lacking IMO. Now I was a huge fan of earlier versions, but not now. I'll stick with Avast from now on.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by poppster:

right now avast is running around 40k with it's two processes, and for some reason the new version of MSE was running at 90k, sometimes higher...

Wow! With machines having GB's or RAM these days I'd consider 90KB negligible...

I worked at a company a few years ago that used McAfee Enterprise. It would take my PC about 10 minutes to become usable (CPU at 100% etc) after a reboot. I didn't reboot that box often but it was very painful when I did.

amazingm
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
USA

amazingm to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
Do you happen to use CCleaner? If you do, Unchecking MS Antimalware in the the Applications tab might solve your problem. Here's more info: »forum.piriform.com/index ··· ic=32981

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Click for full size
I've always had it unchecked.