Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Re: Java flaw allows complete bypass of security sandbox

said by Name Game:

The reason I asked about this Java Toggle or Switch is Proxomitron is because I started researching it. It seems you were the only one who posted in various forum about toggle for flash and Java with this product and no one else..I did see where there was a development switch thing that did not seem to work very well and never seemed to be adopted..so do you have a link that explains/ shows how it works for that filter ?

My fault for Flash starting at youtube with no toggle. I didn't have this filter installed which is just for youtube. I started the thread about it and I don't recall why I never installed either of the two filters posted.

Eventually, there will be a more elegant filter but not official until JJoe's next Sidki filters update maybe the end of this year. JJoe said the toggle at youtube (not other sites) was causing problems so he posted what he uses. I just merged it now to my Proxo filters and went to that same Innocence of Muslims film at youtube on IE 8 and it did not start automatically. There is not the usual looking Proxo toggle but a big fat arrow on the screen that I have to click to get it to start. I can also easily stop the download which I could not do before. I have always gotten a Proxo toggle in a forum like this one where Flash movie is embedded in forum post.

»prxbx.com/forums/member.php?acti···&uid=338

As for java applet toggle, that doesn't work everywhere for me...but it is very difficult for me to test because I have an old version of Java on the host machine and on my virtual machine. Mozilla has disabled Java on my Fx 4 and Fx 10 ESR because on both machines Mozilla feels my Java is too old. The same thing is true for recent versions of Opera. My Java version won't work. So, IE 8 so that is the only browser I can try to test Proxo's Java toggle with.

As for disabling Java in the Control Panel, I was referring to disabling for IE and also for other none ActiveX browsers. That works. But to disable Java for a program you own that uses it, I just let Process Guard stop it from running when called. Process Guard pops up when I start MySpeed software that requires Java and I can stop it right then by not approving it and then PG says the handle is invalid and MySpeed closes without having opened. I am so used to Process Guard asking me if I want to allow something to run that I didn't even think about what one would do if they didn't have a classic HIPS other than simply don't start a Java program you own if Java is suspect.

I didn't find much at TUOPF regarding Java applet toggle. But what I found shows that IE is a bitch to get it to work on. It is such a shame that Paul Laudanski felt it necessary to burn the Official Proxo forum and Sidiki's official forum and two others at Castle Cops and refused to allow KyeU to mirror them at TUOPF before he burned all that info...not even allowed The Way Back Machine to mirror. If Paul wanted to destroy every forum at his site he should have exempted Proxo forums as that was a unique situation where the Proxo author was dead and everything in Scott's offical Proxo forum, Sidiki's forum ext. was viciously and needlessly held to the flame of Paul's decision to nuke his site. All the other forums at Castle Cops had live authors of software and much could be reproduced but not so for Proxo's forums. A terrible loss and I lost respect for Paul when he did that. Yeah..I know it was his site to do with as he pleased...but it was ugly and wrong what he chose to do. Anyhow, it is not easy to find info since then regarding Proxo. Anyhow, here is one of few Java applet threads at TUOPF ...I think the filter is the same one we still have so I'm going to ask if that filter is going to be improved.

»prxbx.com/forums/showthread.php?···gle+java
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

Yes that is what we are discussing...you know it makes it really confusing to reader of post at DSLR to figure out what they should do..when peeps post old versions of software or tools they can't even access themselves in the real world.

Point taken.

In the future, I'll just mention that Opera can be configured to white list these things and omit the screen shot from my older version.

mysec
Premium
join:2005-11-29
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

said by Name Game:

v.3 ? and they are now at 3.5 or maybe higher How many years ago was that version ?

Faronics is up to Anti-Executable version 5.

The screenshot was taken last year in testing.

(I still use version 2)

----
rich

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7
reply to Mele20

Yup..sad stuff and remember it all well..I guess my point in all this is to try to get us all above the power curve in dealing with whats out there today..trying to stop all this crap messing up our PC's. Both you and rich always have great ways and solutions on how that can be done and people respect you for it. Love those old tools and versions that made it simple without lots of user interface once set. We would hope that the browser platform we have chosen would have them all embedded and on by default rather than plugin options or developed by a third party.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to mysec

Opera 9.64 was a cool version that came out in March 2009.

»www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.p···__st__15

My concern would be how vulnerable it is today based upon the history without third party programs installed by the user.

I too have at times reverted to older versions of some software when the newer versions have not played well with the OS.
»www.oldapps.com/
»www.oldversion.com/

OH MY…WHAT HAS OPERA DONE?
»www.oldversion.com/blog/oh-my-wh···ra-done/
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by Name Game:

Opera 9.64 was a cool version that came out in March 2009.
My concern would be how vulnerable it is today based upon the history without third party programs installed by the user.

From OH MY... WHAT HAS OPERA DONE?:
quote:
So until Opera decide to fix this problem, I’m not budging from using the older versions of Opera, what i don’t understand is, when something is working perfectly why break it?
While I don't quite agree that older Opera versions worked "perfectly", Dane's point is well taken. In the competitive pursuit of "features" and in attempting to stay abreast of technical/standards evolution, Opera has been undertaking some major architectural changes... and they haven't played out all that well or reliably thus far. I'm stuck at Opera 11.52 (since some of Opera's first memory-hogging and loading issues became notable with the 11.6x versions for various users).

With regard to Java, I no longer have that much need for it, and it only exists on one stand-alone system here that does still require it from time to time for certain sites. But I find Java's continual security uncertainties to be rather "unsettling".
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

MeDuZa

join:2003-06-13
Austria

1 recommendation

reply to Name Game

Regarding to

quote:
Opera 12.02
Release notes

quote:
The Windows 32-bit version has been reverted to in-process plugins while stability issues stemming from the out-of-process plugin system are investigated and resolved
»www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/1202/
Furthermore:
quote:
We have learned from the Opera 12.02 release on Windows that putting plug-ins back into the main process was the right way to go. For Opera 12.10 we have reached the decision to implement the same short-term solution for OS X by putting plug-ins back into the main process.
»my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
--
Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks..good stuff and important for people to know.

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
kudos:1
reply to MagnusM

My main browser is Fx, and use NoScript to Forbid all active content to Untrusted Sites:

For the few sites that work best with IE 8 (Windows XP) are in the IE's Trusted Sites Zone, all other IE Security Zones locked-down tight.

Additionally browsers are always used in Sandboxie.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to MeDuZa

Yup..Opera 12.10 beta now with support for Retina Macs

»gladiator-antivirus.com/forum/in···4674&hl=