how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

davidb

join:2012-09-25
West Hollywood, CA

new DCX3510 - LIST button not working

I exchanged the old DVR TWC originally gave me for a new DCX3510 with the 500gb hard drive. So far so good. However, I'm having trouble getting to the DVR recorded programs without going through like 4 different menus.

I've got the Atlas OCAP remote. The green LIST button above "play" is theoretically supposed to go directly to your recorded programs according to the documentation on the TWC site. However, pressing that button does nothing; the CBL button doesn't light up when it is pressed, which indicates to me the remote doesn't recognize it as a valid button for this device.

This is the remote that came with the original DVR which was an older Motoral... does it need to be adjusted with a new device code for the DCX3510? If so, how? If not, anyone have an idea what the problem is?

I tried a different Atlas OCAP remote and the LIST button does nothing on that one, either, so it isn't simply a faulty button.

Help? It's extraordinarily annoying to have to page through several menus just to get to my DVR recordings.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
If you're pressing a button on that remote and the device light for the particular device you're trying to control doesn't light, then the remote is programmed wrong or it's in the wrong device mode.

Try pressing CBL first to make sure the remote is in "cable device" mode. Then press the list button.

If that doesn't work, try reprogramming the remote for the cable box.

I have the same remote, often find the remote in TV mode, and unable to use list or DVR until I press CBL.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Vertigo

@myvzw.com
reply to davidb
It should go directly to the DVR list so you may need to try a new remote. By the way, which office did you get a DCX3510 from? I'm in the LA area and am trying to get one.

davidb

West Hollywood, CA
I got the DCX3510 from the office on Santa Monica near the Pacific Design Center. But I'm not sure they have any more.

The remote is definitely in cable mode. I think it is programmed for the old non-DCX3510 DVR since a few other buttons don't work properly either but did with the old box. Is there documentation for how to program it for the DCX3150?

I don't know if this is a bad box or what, but I keep having to reboot the DVR because the channels lose authorization. (Yes it's been authorized properly... twice now). I'm afraid to call out a tech to check things because they'll try to replace it with a garbage older DVR and the office I got this one from only had a very few. So I'm just rebooting it twice a day and hoping it spontaneously fixes. I have no idea why I can watch it fine for 8 hours and then all of a sudden none of the channels except the locals work.

Yuck.

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14

4 edits
reply to davidb
Since you're losing authorization and having to reboot the 3510, you might wish to communicate directly with a TWC tech by posting in the TWC Direct forum on this website. They should be able to advise you (hopefully) on both the device and the remote.

Here's the forum:
»Time Warner Cable Direct

Another option is to try a different 3510. If its location is convenient, you could stop by the customer center with the current one and ask if they have another and a different remote--or even a different customer center if there are others that you might travel by. If they don't have one, then just leave and check with them some other time while you continue to explore possibilities in the forum linked above. Some metro areas have one that is sort of the "main" center if you ever happen to be in that vicinity.

Of course if a second box gives you problems, then the problem is most likely in your signal somewhere. Again, the TWC direct forum can help you sort all that out and advise whether a truck roll is necessary.

Vertigo

@myvzw.com
The DCX3510 has an internal modem that downloads the guide. Unfortunately several people who have managed to get these new boxes have reported that if there is any problem in the line or with internet connectivity, the box gives them strange errors. Oddly enough, the DCX3400 being older, actually seems to be more reliable when signals are weak.

The advantages of the 3510 appear to be smaller size, larger hard drive, remote DVR control, and working caller ID.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by Vertigo :

The DCX3510 has an internal modem that downloads the guide. Unfortunately several people who have managed to get these new boxes have reported that if there is any problem in the line or with internet connectivity, the box gives them strange errors. Oddly enough, the DCX3400 being older, actually seems to be more reliable when signals are weak.

The advantages of the 3510 appear to be smaller size, larger hard drive, remote DVR control, and working caller ID.

the caller id works on the DCX3400 I think that one person was having problems with it in LA I haven't heard anything negative about Caller id on TV in Dallas at all on the iGuide boxes here. I am glad that TWC finally got the DCT/DCH/DCX3200/DCX3400 boxes Startover/lookback which works great.

davidb

West Hollywood, CA
I believe both my issues are solved or will be solved on Monday.

First, the channels de-authorizing. A technician came out and said that the new DCX3510 box was fine but that something called a DSG code for this box had not been added to my account by the people who swapped the boxes for me. So the box reads as unauthorized by TWC and all my channels lose authorization after an hour or so whenever I have them re-authorized and rebooted. Unfortunately, when the tech called in to get the code added they told him they could not make such a change because I had a pending install to fix a previously incorrectly installed cable modem. So I have to wait until Monday when they fix the cable modem install (they brought the wrong modem last time) to add the DSG code of the box to my account. So theoretically things should be fine post-Monday afternoon.

The remote button I fixed myself through trial and error.

Holding down the setup button plus the blue B button at the same time for 3 seconds set the remote to control SA/Cisco boxes. I have a Motorola DCX3510. Nevertheless, it now works perfectly for all buttons while pressing setup + yellow A for 3 seconds (setting it to Motorola mode) does not work. Why? Who knows.

But it works perfectly in Cisco mode so that's all I care about.

davidb

West Hollywood, CA
Oh, the instructions others have posted in various forums to set up a 30 second skip forward / 15 second skip backwards button do not, however, work for me. Still working on that one.

rv65
Premium
join:2008-08-02
USA!!!!
kudos:1
Only iGuide boxes support a 30 second skip. Navigator does not support it and there are no plans to add that feature.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by rv65:

Only iGuide boxes support a 30 second skip. Navigator does not support it and there are no plans to add that feature.

How? I have iGuide on my a few months old Motorola DCX3400 DVR's 1056BC03 RC?

davidb

West Hollywood, CA
reply to davidb
Aaaaaand it still isnt fixed. The techs today had no idea what the other tech was talking about but they did something and told me to reboot it. Now I don't get unauthorized screens, just black. and it thinks it is working because I can select Showtime on demand or HBO on demand and the like, and it claims to be recording shows off those channels, but there is no picture.

So I give up. They are sending one more tech on Wednesday. If he can't fix it I'm cancelling and sticking the Dish Network DVR back in there since I haven't shipped it back yet. It's a hell of a lot harder to get a new customer than to keep an existing one, so TWC muffed this chance.

My guess is he puts one of the crappy 3416s in there and it works and then I'm stuck either with that icky box or cancelling, and I'm not sure which of the two I'll pick.

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14
reply to rv65
At first I missed the 30-second skip that I had on my own DVR. I used it a lot to get through commercials on recorded shows. I've discovered that I like the fast-forward feature of Navigator equally as well, now that I'm used to it. There are several speeds of fast forward; 1, 2, 3, 4. I press the fast-forward button 3 times so that I get speed 3 (the screen will display the speeds as you press it.) It quickly goes through all the commercials. The minute I see my program return I hit the "play" button. The program then backs up a few seconds and resumes play. On one of the settings screens, you can program how much you want it to back up before resuming playing.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
Getting used to the skip back is key, I have it down pat now!

Hob

GuyinLACA

join:2010-12-11
Arcadia, CA
I just got a DCX3510 and the new remote they gave me works perfectly, list button included. The old remote was a 1056b01, the new one is 1056b03. Try a new remote.

GuyinLACA

join:2010-12-11
Arcadia, CA
reply to davidb
If all else fails, you might try to get a Motorola DCX3400 which is similar in design to the 3510, runs Motorola's iGuide, and doesn't require a perfect internet connection to run properly.