It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Business] Comcast to close Calif. call-in centers, slash jobs

Comcast is confirming that about 1,000 California employees, mostly call center workers, would be out of a job by Nov. 30, 2012.

more:

»www.kcra.com/news/Comcast-to-clo···dex.html
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

Streetlight

join:2005-11-07
Colorado Springs, CO

Re: [Business] Comcast to close Calif. call-in centers, slash jo

From the Denver Business Journal, Sept. 25, 2012:

"Comcast Corp. will add 250 jobs at its Denver call center and 150 more at a center Colorado Springs, adding 400 positions in the state by the end of 2013.

"The Philadelphia-based cable giant (NASDAQ: CMCSA) is expanding its Mile High Region call centers as it focuses them on specific functions.

" "This is part of an on-going call center strategy to align our customer care facilities across the company into specialized Centers of Excellence,' said Cindy Parsons, Comcast vice president for public relations, in an email. 'The intent is to speed up resolving customer questions and issues,' she said.

"Comcast's local center, on East Iliff Avenue in southeast Denver, is focused on repairs. The Colorado Springs center is focused on customer loyalty efforts.

"The Denver center employs about 550 people today, while the Colorado Springs call center has 400. The centers will have about 800 and 550 employees, respectively, after the expansion."

Nothing in the article that jobs/job functions from CA are being moved Colorado.
--
There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.

Sherlock Holmes in
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
A. C. Doyle
Strand Magazine, October 1891

Oregonian
Premium
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to pokesph

Apparently some of those California jobs are being moved to Oregon.

"Comcast Corp. plans to add 50 jobs at its Beaverton call center in the coming months as it shifts work north from California.

The company said it's in the process of consolidating call centers across the West and converting the remaining sites to focus on particular specialties. The Beaverton call center will now focus exclusively on sales.

The Sacramento Business Journal reported that Comcast notified employees this morning that it will close one call center there, and other California call centers in Livermore and Morgan Hill.

The paper said the company is shifting the work to Seattle, Denver and the Portland area, where operating costs are lower."

More here:

»www.oregonlive.com/silicon-fores···_default

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit
reply to pokesph

"Hey guys let's make our support worse just when it was starting to become decent" - Comcast

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to pokesph

Gee, thanks Comcast for supporting California, and for working to improve the nation's job picture, you rock! What's next, outsourcing to Bangladesh?

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to pokesph

It sucks, but I can't blame them. CA is not business friendly.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to RR Conductor

"The paper said the company is shifting the work to Seattle, Denver and the Portland area, where operating costs are lower"
Sorry, RR
Cost of living in the bay area is still too high for these jobs to stay there, and this is after Washington's minimum wage went up to $9.04 per hour, and Oregon to $8.80 per hour well above CA's $8, but "extra" state requirements, building costs, and regulations are driving lower and mid-wage jobs out of CA, particularly in the bay area.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

Comcast is now backtracking on its claim that the high cost of doing business in California is the reason it’s closing its call centers there:

Comcast tones down blame on state for closing call center
By Diana Samuels, Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal - September 25, 2012
»www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/blog···for.html

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

read the last 3 paragraphs
"The new statement doesn’t mention anything about California’s business climate, but Johnson said the point still stands. He said it “certainly remains one of the reasons” the centers are closing.

“I think (the point about California’s business climate is) still in there, but I think (the new statement) explains it in a little bit more detail than I originally went to,” Johnson said.

It all struck me as a bit strange. Click here to read Comcast’s amended statement for yourself.

No one, not even Johnson, believes cost was not the major factor.
Someone higher up just said "Phrase it a little nicer!"
Saying "too expensive" to anyone, is a bad idea when selling a luxury product, everything should be "a good value, at a reasonable price point, based on the considerable expense of providing the content"

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

1 recommendation

Yes, like the one Reader Comment to that article states:

Actually, I suspect the pushback from Sacramento sounded a little more like this: "Let's see, municipalities around the state have awarded you virtual monopolies that allow you to reap hundreds of millions in profits, you've aligned your investments in sports programming with the state's hugely popular pro teams and their loyal California-bred fans which bring you millions more, AND that's not even to mention all of your LA-based networks (E!, etc.) which generate you still more hundreds of millions and wouldn't have any content at all if not for the state's signature industries. Do you *really* want to say this is a bad place to do business just because you don't want to pay 10 bucks an hour for call center operators?" Lots of annoying regulations, maybe. But bad business climate? Not hardly.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to RR Conductor

said by RR Conductor:

Gee, thanks Comcast for supporting California ...

There is a reason this state is known as, "Taxifornia". Maybe Comcast doesn't believe in HSR.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

It's not bad a business climate, it's CC being under pressure to hold their price points AND you US based, english as a first language, in house call centers. It's not just the price today, but as the economy begins (slowly) to pick up, what does it cost in 5 years to keep those workers there? by rotating to other areas with skilled workers un-under-employed you can get a 10 year lease on additional space and trained/trainable people at low enough rates to sustain 10 years of increases. (and people will complain a lot less once the economy is really running faster if the cable goes up a bit)even at 2x minmum wage most areas around SF bay are unaffordable to live now, let alone then tech bubble 3 starts inflating everything.
The content production end has always had higher saleries across the board and LA area still has some semi affordable slums for the working guy if he can handle a few roomates.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Comcast doesn't believe in HSR.

Come'on If you just buckledown and work a triple shift you could live in your car* on your 1 day off.

* ok, somebodies car.

not

@comcast.net

And at the same time, they keep raising our rates. Corporate America's greed is amazing. When will it stop?

kara

@comcast.net
reply to pokesph

I worked in different callcenters for 16yrs I fear to say tomuch now. After losing 2 jobs to outsourcing, first one we had to train our replacements.

jcassidy

join:2012-07-31
reply to pokesph

I know Startek in Greeley Colorado is taking over a good chunk of the support.

See: »Comcast Changing Support Service Provider

jobsithink

@myvzw.com
reply to pokesph

It sucks for those in California. A quick search shows that overall they're not losing any headcount. The headlines show almost 200 new jobs in Washington, 500 in Colorado, hundreds in Oregon, 400 in the Twin Cities...

So I believe the first story. California taxed them out of the state.

When a company would rather move the jobs to other states, offer to relocate those that want to move, pay those who don't a severance, hire more people, pay bonuses to existing West division employees of $500-$3000(yes it's happening), there must be a bigger issue.

jobsithink

@myvzw.com

»blog.sfgate.com/bottomline/2012/···ls-soup/