nowayout
join:2009-06-22
Allentown, PA

nowayout to bohratom

to bohratom

Re: Fios Media Server Soon?

said by bohratom:

said by nowayout:

Theoretically lower rental costs, since the small receivers are not as big or expensive as normal full-blown DVR/STBs.

The only way FIOS will lower rental fees is if their competition in the market are lower. That Im afraid is never going to happen.

I wouldn't expect them to lower rental fees, but they have varying rental prices depending on the complexity of the equipment, from $4 to $20. A relatively simple streaming box costs less than a full-blown DVR or non-DVR STB, so the rental fee could be less.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by nowayout:

I wouldn't expect them to lower rental fees, but they have varying rental prices depending on the complexity of the equipment, from $4 to $20. A relatively simple streaming box costs less than a full-blown DVR or non-DVR STB, so the rental fee could be less.

Ill bet you a bridge in Brooklyn that the overall rental fee for the new Media Server and clients will be MORE then the current MDVR and stbs. Just look at Verizon agreeing to TIVO to now pay montly charges on their DVRS for copyright infringements.