share rss forum feed

betterdan

join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ssilence

Re: [GA] Internet Slowdown

I was having problems for over a year with slow speeds at peak hours but fine at other times. I had Cox technicians come out a couple of times but they were clueless and tried to blame my router, my ethernet cable etc. Once a little more knowledgeable guy came out and said it seemed to be a lot of congestion in the area but he had no solution. The customer service lady on the phone even told me that Cox can't guarantee speeds which I understand but I told her that I was paying for 15 down and was getting about 2 down. She just kept repeating that they can't guarantee speeds.

Fast forward to this weekend where I just happened to notice on Cox's site (don't even know why I was on there to be honest) and I saw that my old Docsis 2.0 Motorla SB5120 wasn't the recommended modem for my Preferred package anymore. It listed a Docsis 3.0 modem. I also was thinking about upgrading to Premier so I figured I'd go and get the SB6121 at Wal Mart and if it didn't help I'd just return it.

Best thing I've done for my computer in years. I now am getting at least the advertised download speed all the time and upload speeds have gotten quicker too.

I can't believe the technicians didn't clue in on my old modem but ah well at least everything seems to be good now and I went ahead and upgraded to Premier too. Getting a consistant 30 down and about 20 up according to speedtest.net.
I found a site that says they have more accurate speed numbers that don't factor in the speed boost. It is »testmy.net
I am getting 30 down and 4 up according to them which seems more believable.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ

I think siri was just eating up your bandwidth.

ssilence

join:2012-09-23
Warner Robins, GA
reply to betterdan

What all do I have to do once I get a new Modem to get it registered and working with Cox?

betterdan

join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

You just need to call Cox and talk to technical support and tell them you just bought a new modem. They will ask for the MAC address and Serial Number which will be on a tag on the modem and probably on the box too.

lol Rakeesh you bastage! Siri seems to be a lot quicker with ios 6

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI

My boss gave me an iPad (the most expensive model you can buy in fact, typing on it right now) and I tried siri...it just doesn't even compare to google's. I don't really use either though, especially on android because swype is so nice, and I don't particularly like having a conversation with a computer.