spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BigPoppa44
join:2005-08-08
Washington, NC

BigPoppa44

Anyone else using OpenDNS?

I signed up for "OpenDNS" a couple of days ago and I must admit that my websites do load faster. It is very easy to configure and there isn't any software to download and install on your machine.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV

DataDoc

Premium Member

I've used it for a couple of years. Until you mentioned it, I hadn't given it a second thought. I rarely get any warnings about dangerous websites, and just get great performance.

SuperCPA
Premium Member
join:2002-11-28
Dayton, OH

SuperCPA to BigPoppa44

Premium Member

to BigPoppa44
I must reiterate the comments made by DataDoc. I have used OpenDNS for a few years and have no complaints.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to BigPoppa44

to BigPoppa44
I had problems with them altering DNS records, more specifically the TTL values, at one point.

Would cause things that used large networks like google, facebook, yahoo, youtube to do bizzare things. Essentially they'd be resolving to an "old" node/address that was no longer serving pages for them. Normally the TTL value, if set right, would force you to look to get a new DNS record, but theirs were set in a way that you'd hold the record for a lot longer than it was valid for. (Essentially they'd bump the TTL value up, and not by a little either)

I had to dump them as it was rendering the service useless, and even though there were piles of complaints regarding the issue, nobody over there would openly address it, so I moved on.

Also they don't have any commercial offering, so gave up on that as well.

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha
join:2000-11-25
Outer Limits

MiNdErAsR to BigPoppa44

to BigPoppa44
I'm using DNSCrypt. No issues to speak of.

»www.opendns.com/technolo ··· nscrypt/

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to BigPoppa44

Premium Member

to BigPoppa44
I've been using them for quite awhile with great success. No problems of any kind.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI to BigPoppa44

MVM

to BigPoppa44
I might consider them if I had a child to protect but a LOT of trust goes to a DNS provider. It seems to be underestimated what a DNS provider knows about you.

About 5 years ago, when OpenDNS was getting off the ground, they were redirecting www.google.com to OpenDNS servers and a blog had what appeared to be a good reason with major assurances, etc.

However, it left me with the interesting coincidence the biggest search engine in the world that puts search terms in their URLs was conveniently being redirected. It seemed a bit... strange.

I've not considered them since. BTW, that practice seems to no longer be in place and I run my own BIND9, anyway.
bt06437
join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

1 recommendation

bt06437 to BigPoppa44

to BigPoppa44
My network, all devices on it, use OpenDNS. No complaints, either.

I have a few domains/countries blocked using OpenDNS rules, like
bg,cn,gs,kr,nu,ro,ru,st,tk,vg

(urls destined to Russia, "somesite.ru", are blocked.)
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
said by Bill_MI:

It seems to be underestimated what a DNS provider knows about you.

It's a very important point to keep in mind. OpenDNS offers you service to track every site you visit. If it's OK with you, go for it... But it's not OK with me though.

I use DNS services, that don't make tracking users as their core business. And, as others say here, no problems of any kind..

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to BigPoppa44

Premium Member

to BigPoppa44
No problems for me for years. I use the free service.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

1 recommendation

Exidor to BigPoppa44

Premium Member

to BigPoppa44
I have used OpenDNS for the past four or five years...mainly because my ISP (Rogers) has notoriously unreliable DNS.
BigPoppa44
join:2005-08-08
Washington, NC

BigPoppa44

Thanks for all of the replies.

VikingBob
Go Jets Go!
Premium Member
join:2004-06-05
MB Canada

VikingBob to BigPoppa44

Premium Member

to BigPoppa44
Yup, been using it for quite some time now, and also do what bt06437 See Profile does, block .ru. cn etc. No issues, recommend it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

I had problems with them altering DNS records, more specifically the TTL values, at one point.

Would cause things that used large networks like google, facebook, yahoo, youtube to do bizzare things. Essentially they'd be resolving to an "old" node/address that was no longer serving pages for them. Normally the TTL value, if set right, would force you to look to get a new DNS record, but theirs were set in a way that you'd hold the record for a lot longer than it was valid for. (Essentially they'd bump the TTL value up, and not by a little either)

I had to dump them as it was rendering the service useless, and even though there were piles of complaints regarding the issue, nobody over there would openly address it, so I moved on.

Also they don't have any commercial offering, so gave up on that as well.

I have tried both OpenDNS and Dyn's Internet Guide DNS services, and both of them do the same thing with regard to changing the TTL.

I discovered it because I maintain several web servers, and I noticed that DNS changes that I made (which showed up almost immediately with other DNS providers) would take many hours to show up with either of those services.

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wxboss to BigPoppa44

Premium Member

to BigPoppa44
I have to agree with the majority here. I have no issues with the service. Started using it years ago when Comcast was having problems with their DNS servers which prevented me from getting online. Never turned back.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to BigPoppa44

MVM

to BigPoppa44
Using a DNS benchmark tool, three of my top ten results are my ISP's DNS servers. Of the remaining seven, six are Level 3 and one is NTT America.

The fourth of my ISP's DNS servers is in the eleventh spot.

OpenDNS comes in at 12 through 17.

My former ISP's DNS servers come in at 18 and 19.

I guess I am just lucky to have had ISPs with good namservers.