Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Dustyn

Re: Worst Ways To Clean Your TV

70% isopropyl alcohol (aka "rubbing alcohol") and a clean lint-free cloth is what I've been using for years.

Vinegar works but I've been told that it can cause yellowing in the long term.

Remember that the surface of an LCD screen is NOT glass. It's actually a plastic polarizing film which is layered onto the glass. This is why extra caution must be taken when cleaning LCD displays, unlike plasma and CRT which are more forgiving since the surface is actually glass.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:10

said by TheMG:

70% isopropyl alcohol (aka "rubbing alcohol") and a clean lint-free cloth is what I've been using for years.

I assume the other 30% is water?
I have a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol, is that okay to use or is it too strong for LCD use?
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:

I have a bottle of 99% isopropyl alcohol, is that okay to use or is it too strong for LCD use?

It is fine but overkill. Use it if that is all you have otherwise keep the good stuff (99%) for those situations that need it.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

said by TheMG:

Yes, the other 30% is usually de-ionized or distilled water.