spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JeffinLA
@cox.net

JeffinLA

Anon

[LA] Upload speeds Louisiana

Upload speeds are very sluggish in North Kenner tonight.
SlashG42
join:2002-02-13
Metairie, LA
·AT&T FTTP

SlashG42

From Metairie, by Severn at the lake (70006)

JeffinKenner
@cox.net

JeffinKenner

Anon

I could have been my Cisco E4200 giving me problems. I switched back to my older WTR54G2, and its back to normal. Every time I try a new and fancier router, I'm not satisfied, and go back to the basics.

JeffinKenner

JeffinKenner to JeffinLA

Anon

to JeffinLA
They must be doing upgrades or something. For the last 2 nights after 12am, upload speed drops significantly. Its ok during the day.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to JeffinLA

Premium Member

to JeffinLA
Same fake powerboost speeds here:

djb
@cox.net

djb to JeffinLA

Anon

to JeffinLA
I have been having issues with uppload speeds ever since Tuesday... at all times of the day. (Metairie, 70003). Not sure of the model number, but I have a Cisco modem. Anyone else still having issues?

DagonSev
@cox.net

DagonSev

Anon

Yep. It gets really bad for me past 2pm. 5am-1:59pm are flawless and I get my appropriate speeds. And sometimes I don't get an upload measurement at all. It will simply say Connecting indefinitely

Right now: »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3320.png

This is with a SB5101+BEFW11S4.

I also get really high jitter readings during this period (hitting 600ms jitter yesterday).

Not as bad as yesterday but: »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 8712.png

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

said by DagonSev :

Yep. It gets really bad for me past 2pm. 5am-1:59pm are flawless and I get my appropriate speeds. And sometimes I don't get an upload measurement at all. It will simply say Connecting indefinitely

Right now: »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 3320.png

This is with a SB5101+BEFW11S4.

I also get really high jitter readings during this period (hitting 600ms jitter yesterday).

Not as bad as yesterday but: »www.pingtest.net/result/ ··· 8712.png

wow!! A BEFW11S4??? Very cool that it's still chugging along. That router is like 10 years old or more. Time to get a new one if you want some decent speeds.

I would definitely update the SB5101 too and get a D3 capable modem so you can bond upload and download channels.
betterdan
join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA

betterdan

I was having problems with really slow speeds at peak times also. Lived with it for over a year and Cox couldn't fix it. Finally updated my old SB5120 modem to a 6121 and the problems have vanished. I suggest you at least try a new modem (you can pick up the 6121 from Wal Mart) and if it doesn't help just return it.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA to JeffinLA

Anon

to JeffinLA
I haved narrowed down the problem. It was my router that was the culprit this time. I'm upset that I paid 50 dollars for a reliable router 3 years ago, but my new $130 one is crapping out on me. Old one: WRT54G2

New one: E4200. Its giving me all kinds of problems after 6 months of use. My old one is still going strong.

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur

Premium Member

Linksys is utter garbage. You'll never see me buying another run of the mill linksys, netgear, etc throw away wireless router.

You can try throwing a different firmware on there, like DDWRT or Tomato.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

What router do you recommend?
bchandler02
join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

bchandler02

I do agree that LInksys went to complete crap over the last few years. Used to be a netgear fan as well but do not like their offerings, most being antenna-less.

Out of all the consumer grade routers, I've always had good luck with Dlink. I have a DIR-655 that has been going strong for 3+ years now with a fairly heavy load on it. Out of all the consumer products, I'd recommend that.

digiblur
Premium Member
Louisiana

digiblur to JeffinLA

Premium Member

to JeffinLA
Antenna-less is garbage as well. WiFi needs all the help it can get to reach out and touch the device it is talking back and forth.

I like something that I can put some power behind and has some nice features, vpn, qos, vlan, multi-ssid, etc, built-in or either some 3rd party firmware.

A few I've been looking at:
»routerboard.com/RB2011UA ··· -2HnD-IN
»www.asus.com/Networks/Wi ··· /RTN66U/ (I have the RT-N16 right now and love it, OpenVPN, QOS, 3 VLANs, Ad/Malware site blocking at the router, FTP, 3 SSID's. )
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by digiblur:

Antenna-less is garbage as well. WiFi needs all the help it can get to reach out and touch the device it is talking back and forth.

I like something that I can put some power behind and has some nice features, vpn, qos, vlan, multi-ssid, etc, built-in or either some 3rd party firmware.

A few I've been looking at:
»routerboard.com/RB2011UA ··· -2HnD-IN
»www.asus.com/Networks/Wi ··· /RTN66U/ (I have the RT-N16 right now and love it, OpenVPN, QOS, 3 VLANs, Ad/Malware site blocking at the router, FTP, 3 SSID's. )

Well I personally use the ASUS RT-N66U, and really like this router. I mean you have the choice of running different firmwares like Tomato, if you don't like Asus firmware. A guy named RMerlin takes the Asus firmware builds, and tweaks it a bit making it better. I can say I am happy with the money I spent on the N66U.