Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

glitchsys0

join:2004-06-12
Boca Raton, FL
reply to someguy43210

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for review

Well I too have noticed more consistent ping responses. Latency is still higher than DSL or Comcast but at least it's not erratic like it was before.

28 packets transmitted, 28 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 35.364/48.717/66.863/8.126 ms

I've clocked it as high as 65mbps which is nice. 3.2mbps up is always the case, that's wimax. I'm just wondering why they're using this system. I heard from one of their tech's that MVDDS is the one that's limiting the range of how far they can go from the towers, and I also hear that it runs in the 12ghz range which is why they require line of site. MVDDS just doesn't seem that feasible to me then. Why not try pure WiMax, LTE, or even 2.4mhz (or 5ghz) WiFi. I have 2.4ghz directional WiFi Antennas, smaller than OMG Fast's antennas, and they can do 2-5 miles. 5 miles with direct line of site and enough power. And that means you could do 802.11n which is 150-450mbps.

Anyways, my connections been unstable for the past week, every few days it goes down and I have to power-cycle the modem. They're looking into it. My friend a few miles away has a more stable connection so I know they're 'capable' of it, hopefully it's just my modem which can be replaced.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Re: their using different technologies other than MVDDS for the downlink...

1. WiMAX - Slow. You've seen what it can do on uploads. Multiply that by three or four for download speeds, if that.
2. LTE - Not available for the spectrum Clearband owns, and no spectrum is available to buy at this point that supports LTE. Even if it were, the spectrum would be too expensive to deploy speeds, without caps, comparable to what they're doing now. Plus, I haven't seen an LTE fixed terminal anywhere yet, and that's the only thing that would give you better range than the current MVDDS system while still having any sort of capacity. You would need a 10MHz channel at least for FD-LTE, or spectrum usable to TD-LTE, and the former is tied up by AT&T on 700MHz and the latter by Clearwire on 2500MHz.
3. WiFi - It's a good option. Not so much on 2.4 but 5GHz would work. 2.4 has too much interference in a flat place like Florida. 5GHz may not be much better though. The result: you'd end up with, at best, the same speeds as you get on MVDDS at the same distance, but using cheaper equipment and unlicensed spectrum (unlicensed may have reliability issues). Getting even 80 Mbps of capacity out of a single WiFi channel (20MHz wide...40MHz is a bad idea for point to multipoint due to signal-related issues...so your air link rate is at best 130 Mbps with a dual-polarity antenna at each end of the link) is iffy in PtMP over long (more than a mile or two) distances.

Hence Clearband's choice of MVDDS, particularly since they own that spectrum anyway...and they own more than all 2.4GHz, 5.8GHz (longer-range 5GHz due to FCC requirements), 700MHz, Cellular and PCS spectrum combined...for all carriers...and nearly as much as all of the above plus AWS. To put things into perspective, Clearwire, which says it has a lot of spectrum (it does), has less spectrum than what's available in just the PCS band.