uniqs
JDinNC
join:2012-09-26
Greenville, NC

JDinNC

[Connectivity] Increasingly inconsistent internet connection in

Click for full size
Click for full size
I've been a Suddenlink subscriber in Greenville, NC for about 14 months now. I believe my account is the 15/3, but I think let me bump it up to 18/3 for a couple of dollars more. While it's never been quite as fast as I thought it should be (i.e. 14/1), it was at least consistently on. Nothing has changed with my network setup in my home. After about two months of the service gradually seeming to be slowing down at random, it has become wildly inconsistent in the last two weeks. My speed tests have come in as low as 0.3 down, while the up has usually only bottomed out at 0.9. These are the times when it isn't outright dropping the connection. In the best of times I've gotten 20/3. The worst of it seems to fall between 8:00PM-4:00AM, though I've also experience outages in the late morning and early afternoon.

When I called in to the call center I was told that the signal seemed to be too strong and they scheduled a tech. When the tech came out today he aid that he was detecting a lot of noise in the line. He changed out the connector plate and all of the connectors in the box (plus the splitter). He eventually determined the problem was in the line from the pedestal to the box on the house. He ran a new line and initially that seemed to take care of things. As I've been testing this evening, I'm once again having problems.

Having seen others on the forum being asked to download and run Ping Plotter Pro, I've gone ahead and down two runs with it this evening and am attaching them for consideration.

Also for consideration: The cable line comes into an Arris TM602G which I have connecting to the internet port of my old Linksys WRT160N R2 (so no DD-WRT for me) which feeds my wired and wireless connections.

Having not changed any settings or hardware seems to suggest that the problem is outside the house.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this.

Sincerely,

JD

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

Re: [Connectivity] Increasingly inconsistent internet connection

The plots you posted are short but do not show any packet-loss that would indicate that you're losing connection. If the modem is falling offline you will see packet-loss. Also the latency to the destination is consistent.

If you PM me your cable modem's MAC address and your public IP (»whatismyip.com) I will dig deeper. Please post more plots, preferably ones that capture before and while you're experiencing the problem.
SL86
join:2009-06-01
Greenville, NC

SL86 to JDinNC

to JDinNC
Hi JD,

I am one of the »(post #24974222 no longer exists) and I am in the NC region.

I would like to help as well. If you could please IM me your name as it appears on your bill and the street address, I will be sure to take a look into your issue.

Thank you
PatrickNC2
join:2012-10-15

PatrickNC2 to JDinNC

to JDinNC
Click for full size
Is there any update/fix on this problem? I'm also in Greenville and have been experiencing issues similar to this problem.

Between 7 pm - 2 am, I experience slow downloads and high pings a lot of time. In the early morning/afternoon I rarely encounter problems.

This has been going on for over a week.