uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA

New Rev I Router!

Well to make a short story long, I just got a new Rev I Actiontec router given to me. I was walking through the parking area of our condo community and saw a Verizon van parked across the parking lot from my unit. I then just saw the tech coming out of another unit. I casually said hello and asked him if he would like to trade a Rev D router for a Rev I. He looked at me and said, let me check in the van. Then out he comes and hands me a new router and says to keep the Rev D. No strings, no hassle.

I haven't installed it yet and looking forward to putting it in place. I do not do anything out of the ordinary with the NAT tables or port forwarding (yet), but at least I will be using the latest.

Thanks to this friendly tech! I won't mention any names to preclude any adverse reactions. But it was a great gesture!

TitusTroy

join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

nice!

would I be able to exchange routers at the Verizon store if they have them in stock?...at no charge?

PaulyIzGod

join:2008-02-18
Tampa, FL
reply to stevek1949

They usually do not have them in the store. I had a replacement router shipped to me I got the Rev I, but I had a dlink to begin with.

LimoMan
Premium
join:2005-07-23
Eatontown, NJ
reply to stevek1949

Just got off the phone with the local Verizon store, they have them in stock but I have to pay $79...I think it's worth it, since I have an older Actiontec G router.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by LimoMan:

Just got off the phone with the local Verizon store, they have them in stock but I have to pay $79...I think it's worth it, since I have an older Actiontec G router.

rev. G? That one is slightly more beefier than the rev. I. I would keep it

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

said by serge87:

said by LimoMan:

I think LimoMan See Profile is referring to wireless G (rev. E or older), not the rev. G.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to stevek1949

I find when you try to active the RevI, you should reboot ur ONT. Thats just been my experience with 3 Rev I's ive activated

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by serge87:

said by LimoMan:

I think LimoMan See Profile is referring to wireless G (rev. E or older), not the rev. G.

Thanks, had a brain fart moment.

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to More Fiber

Definitely worth the $80! Much faster speeds 44 down 35 up, range is much better as well, works upstairs now

LimoMan
Premium
Eatontown, NJ
reply to More Fiber

Yes, it was a rev E, about 2 years old

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

I find when you try to active the RevI, you should reboot ur ONT.

Have you tried releasing your DHCP lease?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease

It should not be necessary to reboot the ONT.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to stevek1949

Yes no need to reboot the ONT. I can switch back and forth between my REV I router, my Dlink DGL4500, and my ASUS RT-N56U router as many times as I want without issue. As long as I release the DHCP lease before disconnecting.

One day I need to turn in all these old Actiontec routers. I have four of them now, counting the REV I, gathering dust in my closet. Even my now ancient DGL4500 does a better job than the Rev I Actiontec router.

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to More Fiber

said by More Fiber:

said by Jackarino:

I find when you try to active the RevI, you should reboot ur ONT.

Have you tried releasing your DHCP lease?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »How do I release my DHCP lease

It should not be necessary to reboot the ONT.

I just copied the config from the Rev D to the Rev I, released the DHCP address, powered off, installed the new, turned it on. Worked first time. Did not reboot the ONT.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to More Fiber

I released the DHCP on mine. The others just needed an ONT reboot according to the tech(s) I spoke to.

bigpapae35

join:2002-10-25
united state
reply to stevek1949

+1 for the DGL4500, I have one in my office, this router is a beast, better than my rev i that I have at home, and wndr3700.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to stevek1949

said by stevek1949:

I just copied the config from the Rev D to the Rev I, released the DHCP address, powered off, installed the new, turned it on. Worked first time. Did not reboot the ONT.

This is a surprise, since the MAC address or something else in the router that created the config file is specified in the config file. In recent versions of firmware (last 2 years at least), the router restoring the config has recognized the difference and pops up an error message to the effect of incompatible file.

Since the config file is encrypted, I cannot compare the contents.

A config file, in my experience can only be reloaded on the specific router, not just the model of router, that created it. Going from D to I is really a surprise.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

I assumed stevek1949 See Profile meant "copied" in the generic sense of applying any customized settings to the new router rather than physically copying the config file from one router to the other. If he did that, I'd be very surprised also.
--

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

Not possible to copy config files between BHR's, even within the same BHR generation. The config file is encrypted to the original BHR. The OP meant he copied over the settings by hand.

schipperke

join:1999-11-29
Potomac, MD
reply to stevek1949

I just ordered one , may be here this weekend. I had a hard enough time getting the Rev E swapped to me a while back from that brick looking one. Would end up costing me more in time trying to swap than just pay for it. Sad, but it is what it is.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to stevek1949

Does this router support VLAN's?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Springbok:

Does this router support VLAN's?

Yes
--

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

»support.actiontec.com/doc_files/···VLAN.pdf

schipperke

join:1999-11-29
Potomac, MD
reply to schipperke

Got the Rev I up and running. Took a good 3 minutes before Internet and Coax connection, with no lights blinking to indicate actively trying, was about to reboot it when it came online. Wife very happy, her notebook plays much nicer now, she always had problems connecting with the Rev E we had. Getting great wireless speeds with n .