how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zizoo

join:2010-05-12
PA

Speed increase for businss starter - northeast

Looks like we are going to see a speed increase soon on the business side. Few details so far other than early oct.

rmdir

join:2003-03-13
Chicago, IL

I guess it would be too much to ask for details?

hhahn

join:2011-06-25
Marlton, NJ

1 edit
reply to Zizoo

Oh, really? It's about time. I'd love to know more.

Edit: "New speeds" are out. Surprise, Comcast blows...

said by hhahn:

Wow. These "new" speeds are a joke.

"In early October, Starter and Premium Internet speeds will significantly increase."

Significant increase my ass.

Meanwhile, residential speeds were doubled at half the cost of business service. Without any increase in price.

Instead, we get a bump up in price without any increase in speed.

Dear god I wish I didn't have to put up with this pathetic company.

I guess to be fair to Comcast, when you're offering such little, poor service to begin with, you can play the percentage game.

Since this is the first time in 4 years we've seen a "significant" increase, maybe in another 4 years we'll be fortunate enough see something like 35 mbps for only $150/mo or so.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Our business account in Wilmington, which was originally set up as 22/5 in Oct of 2011 - was pulling 100 down on a speed test I ran last week in the store... increases definitely are on their way.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4

said by JeepMatt:

Our business account in Wilmington, which was originally set up as 22/5 in Oct of 2011 - was pulling 100 down on a speed test I ran last week in the store... increases definitely are on their way.

i wouldn't rely on speedtests to say speed increases are coming...

i've been pulling 70/75 down on my 12/2 line....does that mean I will be getting 70/75 soon, NO....

i'll believe it when I see it or when I get notified.

Zizoo

PA
reply to Zizoo

Keep an eye on business.comcast.com/newspeeds

The link should go active soon.

medbuyer

said by Zizoo:

Keep an eye on business.comcast.com/newspeeds

The link should go active soon.

how do you know this? do you work for Comcast?

sc30002

join:2002-08-15
Springfield, VT
reply to Zizoo

With speed test its reporting on what you get with PowerBoost. Here in VT mine show's 87-130 with PowerBoost active. For a true test run ShaperProbe
»www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffpr···obe.html

medbuyer

said by sc30002:

With speed test its reporting on what you get with PowerBoost. Here in VT mine show's 87-130 with PowerBoost active. For a true test run ShaperProbe

I think that's what the OP and JeepMatt See Profile are seeing....

JazzJRabbit

join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL
reply to sc30002

said by sc30002:

Exactly. I'm on the 12/2 plan and speakeasy speedtest shows 70/30, however any sort of sustained transfer slows down after 10 seconds to the rated 12/2. It would be nice to get a speed boost, 12/2 for $67 is highway robbery, but I'll believe it when I see it.

A question, assuming the speed boost is coming: are business customers going to be upgraded automatically mid-contract, or do we have to wait until our contract ends to "renegotiate" a new one with higher speeds?

medbuyer

said by JazzJRabbit:

It would be nice to get a speed boost, 12/2 for $67 is highway robbery, but I'll believe it when I see it.

12/2 for $67 in my area isnt that bad since comparable resi accounts are just $5-10 difference.

you need to consider other things when paying a fee like support / service etc. to justify your cost.

JazzJRabbit

join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL

said by medbuyer:

12/2 for $67 in my area isnt that bad since comparable resi accounts are just $5-10 difference.

you need to consider other things when paying a fee like support / service etc. to justify your cost.

I used to have WOW before I moved. They have 15/2 plan for $50/month, month to month no ETF fee, no installation fee when I signed up, modem fee is waived if you bring your own modem. Comcast that I have right now is more expensive, slower, and I'm locked into contract with hefty ETF. So yes, it is bad, and I'm being hosed because I have no choice...

medbuyer

said by JazzJRabbit:

I used to have WOW before I moved. They have 15/2 plan for $50/month, month to month no ETF fee, no installation fee when I signed up, modem fee is waived if you bring your own modem. Comcast that I have right now is more expensive, slower, and I'm locked into contract with hefty ETF. So yes, it is bad, and I'm being hosed because I have no choice...

you have a hefty ETF?

I asked my sales guy to put in a no ETF clause in mine, no install fee, but have to pay modem which I chalk it up as insurance that if the service fails they cant blame me or the modem...

besides, my 2 year agreement isnt that bad considering I will really be using it for that period with no thoughts of jumping service here and there....

rmdir

Chicago, IL

You have to go to »testmy.net and do a couple of tests with 200 meg download sample size to see what you are truly pulling. Mine is smoking with the speedtest.net test, but reality sets in with testmy.net since it negates Powerboost. I get what I am paying for, nothing more. Even Comcrap tech support admitted the comcast.speedtest.net reading was pure fantasy when I pressed them on it. I wish I'd get 55 Mbps down on our 12/2 connection like their test says.

2nd test was 200 MB, not 20.

rmdir

Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to medbuyer

oops, double posted.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to rmdir

Not sure that I trust testmy.net. I am on a 1Gb connection and they could only serve up 24Mbps to my location.

medbuyer

said by rmdir:

You have to go to »testmy.net and do a couple of tests with 200 meg download sample size to see what you are truly pulling. Mine is smoking with the speedtest.net test, but reality sets in with testmy.net since it negates Powerboost. I get what I am paying for, nothing more. Even Comcrap tech support admitted the comcast.speedtest.net reading was pure fantasy when I pressed them on it. I wish I'd get 55 Mbps down on our 12/2 connection like their test says.

shaperprobe is still the best way to go....

said by ropeguru:

Not sure that I trust testmy.net. I am on a 1Gb connection and they could only serve up 24Mbps to my location.

I dont trust any speedtests sites at all...

Extide

join:2000-06-11

Shaperprobe isnt much different than a speed test site... It still downloads data from some server on the net and times it...

n0xlf

join:2001-03-28
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:1
reply to Zizoo

Wow, »business.comcast.com/newspeeds is live...

So for us 50Mbps people, we get nothing and pay more...Woo hoo!

rmdir

Chicago, IL

I was thinking about dumping my business class account and going with a home account anyway (have business installed at home due to no monthly caps.) Just one more reason to leave them.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Zizoo

Will be interesting to see if the speed upgrades and increases in cost will be applied automatically to those of us in a current initial contract.

If so, I will be claiming breech and will just move back to residential and get rid of my CrashPlan account. That will save me around $50 a month.

And also, moving from 22/5 to 27/7 I do not consider a "significant" increase.

ualdayan

join:2004-07-17
Antioch, TN
reply to rmdir

said by rmdir:

I was thinking about dumping my business class account and going with a home account anyway (have business installed at home due to no monthly caps.) Just one more reason to leave them.

I've thought about that too. Unfortunately they picked my market for the 'same cap for all speeds no matter how much you pay per month' rather than the 'sliding cap depending on amount paid and speed'. 500GB like the 105Mbps tier gives some people in some test markets - no problem staying under that. 300GB might be harder - I honestly don't know how much I use since the business accounts don't show a usage meter and my router doesn't have it built in.

Plus, I don't see how they can say 'no price increase in 4 years', just last year my monthly went from $59.95 to $66.95 when they decided modem rental that had always been part of the built in price would be a separate additional fee. That's the definition of a price increase.

rmdir

Chicago, IL

My usage is borderline with the 250GB cap for the most part. I've gone way over a few time, like to 675 or so. But there are a couple of areas of concern-the accuracy of the bandwidth meter in my Tomato router, which all traffic passes through, and then how accurate their meter would be if I go with capped service.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to Extide

said by Extide:

Shaperprobe isnt much different than a speed test site... It still downloads data from some server on the net and times it...

Huh ???

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Zizoo

Hehe, I guess I dropped from 50/10 to 22/5 at the right time .
--
KI6RIT

hhahn

join:2011-06-25
Marlton, NJ

2 edits
reply to Zizoo

Wow. These "new" speeds are a joke.

"In early October, Starter and Premium Internet speeds will significantly increase."

Significant increase my ass.

Meanwhile, residential speeds were doubled at half the cost of business service. Without any increase in price.

Instead, we get a bump up in price without any increase in speed.

Dear god I wish I didn't have to put up with this pathetic company.

I guess to be fair to Comcast, when you're offering such little, poor service to begin with, you can play the percentage game.

Since this is the first time in 4 years we've seen a "significant" increase, maybe in another 4 years we'll be fortunate enough see something like 35 mbps for only $150/mo or so.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to Zizoo

Well, I am happy to read this section:

If I am currently within my contract term, will my rate increase?

No, your rate will not increase if you are still within the original 24 or 36 month contract term.

Although, I just started my service here in Virginia but was a current customer in West Virginia. I guess I need to confirm that they have me in an initial new contract and not just a transfer of service with 2 years required.

Of course, if I am safe from the rate increase I will stay. If not, I will be changing my service. I am not a really heavy download/upload user with the exception of all my data being backed up off site.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to Zizoo

What a small increase of speed. You guys should at least get 30Mbps.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

said by brianiscool:

What a small increase of speed. You guys should at least get 30Mbps.

I'll take it for now on starter. Better than nothing
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Zizoo

PA
reply to Zizoo

I think that change is positve for the most part. The rate increase is not a huge deal unless you are out of contract or a internet only customer. This pricing is more consistent with the other parts of the business.

Considering most people here have business service for the no cap or hosting restrictions i think it is still reasonable. Oh and statics.