join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to Gone

Re: Hard Drive Deals

said by Gone:

They aren't "higher quality" - they're just WD Greens with TLER support for RAID 5. They are otherwise identical to a WD Green. The WD Blue is the baby brother to the WD Black, both being 7200 RPM drives. If you're not using the drive in a RAID 5 array the Red doesn't absolutely nothing for you that a Green already does.

Guspaz and I got into this, TLER has been disabled in the "consumer" drives(Blue Black,Green), so the Red drives is a marketing ploy to get more money out of you for the same thing.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by elwoodblues:

so the Red drives is a marketing ploy to get more money out of you for the same thing.

Ding ding ding ding. You got it.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

And the better question, is why would I put a 5900 RPM (why they ddn't just go back to 5400 is a good question too) in a NAS or DAS.

Donoero had a gig where the previous admin put green drives in a disc array.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

Greens (or any other consumer drive for that matter) should fine for RAID 1, but RAID 5 can be like playing with fire.

Seagate were the ones who started the 5900 RPM thing. The only reason I can think it that it provides the best ratio between performance and power savings versus 5400 or full-blown 7200.