Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D to Don69Fire

Premium Member

to Don69Fire

Re: Addons Help

The major utility addons are Bagnon, Deadly Boss Mods, and Recount. If he's going to do any sort of configuration and testing of various addons to see if he likes them, I also recommend Addon Control Panel, so he can enable/disable without relogging.

Though, addons are highly personal (as in, people choose what they want from all over the place), so it would be very hard to suggest exactly what your son had before/would want, without knowing his specific needs.

The Curse Client is a good way to have a controlled downloading environment as mentioned by someone else, for the specific purpose of downloading and installing addons (which are just interpreted scripts and XML, so "installing" is a "extract for ZIP" operation), and would work well if you want him to set up his own addons.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Addon Control Panel
Bagnon
Omen
Clique
Bartender
Skada.

I've been getting warnings from the client that an addon was being blocked for attempting to call a Blizzard-only argument. So far, it has asked me to shut down Bagnon most of the time, but Skada a few times whenever I change talents around. Is anyone else getting these errors? So, thanks to Addon Control Panel, I let it shut down whatever addon it doesn't like, I move my talents around, and then I re-enable the addon. I hope the problem goes away soon, though. I plan on swapping talents around as often as Sanctisimo changes his tmog.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

my messages come from SUF or quartz procs nothing from bagnon or skada

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Quartz... I use that... and it hasn't really been updated in a looooooong time. Anyone know of an actively maintained spell cast bar?

I also really like TipTac. I hate where the Mouseover information window pops up... so TipTac allows me to move it and have all mouseover information show up in the same place of my choosing.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

quartz is up to date its the procs module i get the errors with mostly with the monk of course

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Other people use Gnosis. I still use basic Quartz for most things.
Nick D

Nick D to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
said by Immer:

I've been getting warnings from the client that an addon was being blocked for attempting to call a Blizzard-only argument. So far, it has asked me to shut down Bagnon most of the time, but Skada a few times whenever I change talents around. Is anyone else getting these errors?

THIS IS A GOOD TIME FOR ME TO LAUGH AT BLIZZARD FOR TECHNICAL REASONS.

So, here's the skinny on these bugs.

In LUA, functions can return multiple values. Sometimes you don't care about one of those values, so you end up using a throwaway to make sure you get the right index. _ (a valid variable in LUA) is commonly used.

So something like:
_, name = GetUnitInfo()

You'd then use the name variable later, and you'd ignore the _, because really, who names variables _?

Furthermore, variables in LUA are global unless declared local. Most people don't put a "local _" declaration anywhere, because who the hell is using _ as an important variable? (see below for answer!)

NOW

In WoW, there's a concept called "taint". I'm not too sure of the specifics, but basically secure functions can only use untainted variables. This is how they prevetn addons from doing certain things like auto-cast and whatnot. So addons taint variables all the time. Like the _ variable, which no one in their right mind should use for real data.

EXCEPT

The Blizzard Glyph and Talent UIs do.

So some addon taints _, and then blizzard tries to pass it into a secure function.

True, the addon devs could hide that with a local and not pollute the global namespace, but its SO COMMON that I would hope Blizzard would just name their variable something USEFUL instead of just passing it around.

The practical consequence of this is you can fix your addons by adding "local _" to the top of the first LUA file loaded, but that's annoying and would be very error prone. Some addons are already updated to do this.

The other thing you can usually do is just reload and do the glyph/talent swap immediately, with no disabling. The line of code that taints the global _ probably doesn't run right after reload.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

awesome... tyvm. I know a few months back I talked about wanting to get into Lua programming. I picked up JAVA instead (oddly enough the university doesn't offer a LUA programming class, lol).

Nick D
Premium Member
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

Just keep in mind:

Syntax is easy.
Design is hard.