spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oneinten

join:2012-09-25

[DSL] What speed to I need for Netflix or other streaming servic

I've been on Teksavvy DSL for years. My speed's been slow, but I haven't worried too much about it. Recently, I've wanted to start using Netflix, but I'm pretty sure my download speed is too slow.

I can get up around 200 kbps on torrents and my speed test results are pretty consistently 1.9 megs. I've raise the issue with Teksavvy and according to Bell, this is the fastest I can get on the 5 meg service.

Teksavvy tells me if I go up to the 10 meg or 15 meg service, Bell will run new cable and I will be able to get those speeds, regardless of how far from the CO I am.

At last, my question: What speed would I need in order from Teksavvy to use Netflix or other streaming services (Rogers on my xbox, etc) smoothly?

Thanks,

J

TSI Jorge
TSI Jorge
Premium
join:2007-10-24

Re: [DSL] What speed to I need for Netflix or other streaming se

Hello,

I was wondering if you could post in the direct forums and we will gladly look into this with you.

Thank you,
Jorge
--
TSI Jorge - TekSavvy Solutions, Inc.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to oneinten

Well not run a new cable... but probably put you on a remote.

Bugblndr

join:2010-03-02
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to oneinten

According to Netflix:

0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for DVD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
reply to oneinten

Using 6Mbps I was able to stream HD from Netflix but I had buffering issues so I disabled the HD.

oneinten

Cool. So from what I see, if I go to the 10 meg package (and it actually delivers close to 10 meg) then I should be good for HD Netflix.

Thanks for the input!

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:1
reply to Bugblndr

Thank You

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to oneinten

With DSL ~ 4.3 Mbps I was able to get "med HD" and after a few minutes "high HD" most of the time according to the PS3 when I push select. The quality would occationally drop a bit lower. But over all things looked quite good. With cable I consistently get "xtra high HD" within 30 seconds of streaming and it stays there and looks great. With a 15 Mbps connection you could have two streams going full blast no problems. Likely ok with 2 streams with 10 as Netflix does buffer a bit. 1.9 would work but likely give mediocre quality. You can always try the 7 day trial. Also if on the higher speeds and you want the full HD you need to turn it on in the settings as it is not by default.

Kev
TekSavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada
reply to oneinten

To be honest, I have trouble streaming 720p video on YouTube when I was still on 6Mbps ADSL, don't even think about 1080p.

Now on Cable 8Mbps and 1080p became my standard.
--
Teksavvy.com + 300GB Bandwidth awesomeness!

oneinten

reply to graniterock

Thanks for the additional input.

I guess that since I only get 2 mbps on my 6 mbps service, I'm gun shy about pulling the trigger on 10 mbps service and paying all the set-up fees for it and maybe I'll only get 4 mbps and still won't be able to do what I want.

Is there any way of being more sure I'll get what's advertised from Teksavvy?

Also, with cable, does the $100 set up fee include wiring to my modem location? From some other posts it sounds like it does not, so I think cable becomes a non-starter at that point. I'm not paying big money to get cable set up when it may not achieve advertised speeds and/or may be affected by congestion when I want to use it.

J

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

I'm very happy switching from DSL to cable. My understanding / experience is they will install the modem where you want it. The recent thread has to do with someone wanting a tech to come back and move the modem elsewhere. They won't fish through a bunch of walls but my guy gave me enough slack that I can do that later if I choose. In my case there was a prexisting wire going from the basement to the 2nd floor already which he took advantage of.

Unlike DSL... with cable you get the full speed you paid for unless there is a problem with congestion in your area. My wife has worked both DSL and Cable tech support and found cable to be generally more reliable and easier to troubleshoot. The congestion issues of 6+ months ago are mostly worked out especially if you get the Docsis 3 modem which handles busy nodes much better. Most areas have a speed boost so the start of your downloads will be a bit faster than your advertised speed.

Cloneman

join:2002-08-29
Montreal
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to oneinten

I'm happy with my 16mbps DSL. Netflix HD uses probably around 7mbit when it runs, so I like having the headroom.

I've seen Netflix HD run well on 4.3 mbit payload as well though, although just on a few occasions (didn't have this setup for very long).

NRGetic

join:2002-01-14
Mississauga, ON

it depends on the content quality... not all movies are X-High/5.1... most i've seen my bandwidth spike is actually closer to 11 mbit when watching netflix... when i was on 5/1 DSL it was not enough to run X-High content... on 24/1 it's no problem obviously

Eug

join:2007-04-14
Canada

3 edits
reply to oneinten

They will not lay new cable for you, but would put you on remote

With my connection to the Central Office on 5 Mbps DSL, I could only get about 3+ Mbps reliably. It was very irritating.

When I switched to Fibe, 25 Mbps was no problem. And no, they did NOT run new cable just for me from the CO to my house. Your TekSavvy customer service agent is mistaken. That would be horrendously expensive for just one house. They just stuck me on a remote.

Actually regular DSL would have probably been the full 5 Mbps had they given me the DSL from the remote, but Bell has a tendency of not doing that, esp. for resellers like TekSavvy. So, instead I got DSL all the way from the CO which was quite far away. However, if you go with TekSavvy ADSL2+ (10-15 Mbps) or VDSL2 (25 Mbps), then they'll likely stick you on a remote.

I did not go for cable because in my area (McNicoll POI) people were having terrible speeds due to overcongestion in peak periods. People were dropping to below 2 Mbps. It was awful.

As for Netflix, I'd recommend 10 Mbps service minimum, or 15+ Mbps if there are multiple high bandwidth users in the house.
--
Everything Apple