Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666

Re: [Hockey] Official~ NHL thread...........scores and highlites

said by vue666:

Would the Seattle have to compensate the Canucks for territorial rights? If, wouldn't the Canucks have to approve this relocation into their backyard....

Seattle isn't right on the border... Im pretty sure its at least 200km away... Though I'm not sure what the nhl's distance requirement is.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by HiVolt:

Seattle isn't right on the border... Im pretty sure its at least 200km away... Though I'm not sure what the nhl's distance requirement is.

It's 227km according to this map, as anyone with 15 seconds of interest could have figured out. Given that Ottawa and Montreal are separated by 200km when using the same style of mapping query (reference map), I can't see how Vancouver can say a word.

That said, Seattle's current arena (KeyArena) is worse than Rexall Place and since construction on the new one won't be breaking ground for at least 18 months due to traffic studies, environmental studies and the like, it'll be years before anything is ready. I think Seattle has a better shot at getting the Panthers/Ducks/Lightning/Predators/Blue Jackets/Sharks/etc than the NHL allowing a team to move south of the border. An even more likely scenario would be one of the two expansion teams that the league wants to get to 32 teams (4 divisions of 8) because all the other teams make money off expansion fees.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas

Premium Member

A team in Seattle would be cool. There would be an immediate rivalry with the Canucks. But I wouldn't want to see one there at the unnecessary expense of one of the Canadian teams.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Kardinal

Premium Member

to Kardinal
The league can't expand now, with so many franchises failing financially...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Yeah, expansion should be off the table until they move the existing failing franchises into profitable (read: mostly Canadian) markets.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by Gone:

said by HiVolt:

Yeah, expansion should be off the table until they move the existing failing franchises into profitable (read: mostly Canadian) markets.

I agree, but Gary Bettman's ego doesn't. Does anyone remember how fake his 'congratulations' to Winnipeg was at the draft? He didn't want to do it, and he spat it out through clenched teeth, because he was so pissed that they had managed to meet his near-impossible list of conditions to move the franchise. He likes the increase in revenue, I'm sure, but his ego took a blow because his 'southern expansion' took a shot and his ego doesn't like taking shots (it's big, but fragile).

Besides, expansion means money for all the other teams, and that'll help them with their financial situations in the short term so he'll be all for that. It also means he doesn't have to deal with disappointment of the city being left and possible conflict with teams around where the moving team is relocating too.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I'm all for the league getting smaller. Maybe down to 26 teams.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by FaxCap:

You might be, but the owners aren't. Contraction is serious, and doesn't make sense when there are four markets you can move teams to where there is a lot of money to be made.

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap

said by Gone:

said by FaxCap:

You might be, but the owners aren't. Contraction is serious, and doesn't make sense when there are four markets you can move teams to where there is a lot of money to be made.

I hear ya, Gone but I still find the league a bit watered down. Most
4th lines are really just AHL players living their dream.

FaxCap

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I don't disagree, but realistically contraction just isn't going to happen.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to FaxCap

Premium Member

to FaxCap
said by FaxCap:

said by HiVolt:

FaxCap

Anybody remember the good ol' days when 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs?
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Yup...played a 80 game schedule to eliminate 5 teams... LOL

OR how about the original 6 when 4 of the 6 teams made it...