spc
Search similar:

uniqs
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Another scam targeting seniors

A senior gets a phone call from a person identifying themselves as a bank manager and requests the senior assist them in catching a thief.

The caller sends a taxi to the seniors home and delivers the senior to a bank where she meets the "bank manager"...

He tells her to withdraw some money and is driven to another location where she has been told to hand over her money to "the thief" with guarantees the bank will return her money...

This is what happened to a senior in Halifax...

It's bad enough these punks steal from people but to target seniors is horrendous... I really hope they catch these creeps...and the senior gets some (or hopefully all) of their money...

»www.news957.com/news/loc ··· -to-bank

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

Old "bank inspector" scam. Older than I am.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Yeah but your not old enough like me to know what a 7-11 convenience store is LOL...

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
I have to wonder if by the time people of my age and generation reach the point of being a senior, if they will be so naive as to believe a scam like this.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Considering young people fall for the Microsoft representative scam, my guess is yes.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to vue666

to vue666
So it has nothing to do with age? Just gullability?

I've often wondered the same thing. My at the tail end of Gen X and most people I know are pretty aware of Nigarian money, winning random lotteries, etc... We know businesses enough to know that Microsoft wouldn't be proactive and spend the money to tell people they have a virus on their computer.

I would hope by the time my generation is older that it would be harder to pull these kinds of things off.

I suppose the one thing to keep in mind is how many times the scam didn't work until they found someone it did work on. It could be 1000 seniors didn't fall for it. I doubt they pulled it off on the first try.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
said by urbanriot:

Considering young people fall for the Microsoft representative scam, my guess is yes.

I dunno, my uncle is 66 years old and when he got the Microsoft call he immediately told them to fuck off.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by urbanriot:

I dunno, my uncle is 66 years old and when he got the Microsoft call he immediately told them to fuck off.

Lot's of people do but that's the personality type. There's plenty of people that are suckered continually in Niagara by all these scams, and plenty of young people suckered by the Microsoft scammers.

A friend's son gave me their laptop to recover their files because the 'representative' deleted them after the guy refused to pay the $200 ransom. Shocked me that someone in their 20's wouldn't just shut their system off when a guy with a foreign accent is logged into their computer and holding things ransom...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

Yeah but your not old enough like me to know what a 7-11 convenience store is LOL...

Because we don't have any damn "7-11" in the civilized part of Canada.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to urbanriot

Premium Member

to urbanriot
I am ever more surprised at how little some people in their 20s know about computers, despite growing up with them and being a part of the Internet explosion when they were kids.
Gone

Gone to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

No. We have 7-Elevens instead.

Tenar
join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON

Tenar to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by vue666:

"civilized" doesn't bring up images of owen sound.
HoboJ
join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON

HoboJ to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I am ever more surprised at how little some people in their 20s know about computers, despite growing up with them and being a part of the Internet explosion when they were kids.

This is because schools don't teach kids how a computer works. They teach them specific applications such as word processing and Photoshop. If everyone was taught the rudimentary basics on how a computer operates from the ground up we'd have a lot more semi functional computer users out there rather than mindless drones that can't find the any key.

miakica
join:2009-11-10

miakica to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

Old "bank inspector" scam. Older than I am.

Wow....

Then, it's really old...

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc to HoboJ

to HoboJ
I got lucky. Back in the early Eighties, our high school actually had a course that taught us some of the "BASIC"s of computers. The only catch is that we didn't have any computers (LOL). But learning basic concepts such as "AND", "OR", "XOR" and "NOT" did help me enormously later on.

What really frustrates me today is having to teach programmers when to use object oriented programming concepts in their code! They've become so object happy, they're creating more bloatware than efficient code!

As for the scammers, we've pretty much given them "permission" to scam the gullible just by giving the gullible computers in the first place. PCs were originally destined for PROFESSIONALS! Not for consumers! As a consequence, they never included all of the necessary safeguards to protect users against outside intrusions, because the professional world never needed them as much unless you worked in a security agency like the CIA.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

As for the scammers, we've pretty much given them "permission" to scam the gullible just by giving the gullible computers in the first place. PCs were originally destined for PROFESSIONALS! Not for consumers!

That sounds like something Mitt Romney would say, it's quite elitist (and also nonsense).
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Or something like the great WC Fields would say "Never give a sucker an even break" or "You can't cheat an honest man"...

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been
join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON

WhaleOilBee

-or-
The only way to make something fool-proof is to keep it out of the hands of fools.