spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

Has kickstarter been good or bad for games?

Its done some good I think, such as the homestruck game's kickstarter, but there also no way to really 100% guarantee that the money donated wont go to a game that turns into vaporwear. Ouya sounds really cool, but it could be a flop.

It gives more indie devs a way to fund new ideas, but theres no way to ensure that the games will be made.

How do you see it?

pjhofmann

join:2000-08-22
Cary, NC
I see it as a good thing, for both indies and development studios and support it. Although at some point I think someone will attempt to "game" the system.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to me1212
It's awesome, it cuts out distributors and lets developers talk straight to their fans.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
It also allows developers to do what they actually want to do and get creative, instead of what will sell to the biggest amount of people. Creativity has been severely lacking for a while, other than for some small budget indie games. Kickstarter allows those small budget indie guys to have a big budget now, and allows bigger studios to do what they like. So I can't wait to see some of the games that will be coming out now.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

It's awesome, it cuts out distributors and lets developers talk straight to their fans.

Agree 100%, I think the positives outweigh the negatives by a large margin in these cases.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

fnord76
Elder God
Premium
join:2002-05-14
Troy, IL
kudos:2
reply to me1212
I think it will be a great tool. Good way for developers to create stuff based on what people want and are willing to pay for.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to me1212
I think its a cool idea, it lets anybody sort of be a venture capitalist too.

But more importantly it means an indie dev can put out their first game and it is actually theres and does not belong to EA or some other big publisher that will beat the horse of a good title not just until its dead but until its beaten into a fine red mist.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports