spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shade45

join:2004-07-04
Queens, NY

[TWC] RR Standard with Motorola SB6141 Speed Increase?

I have RR Standard $34.99 with TWC modem and $2.50 extra every month for the modem fee. If i upgrade to Motorola SB6141 do you think i'll see the speed increase or do i need the Turbo plan in order to see the speed increase? I'm not even sure whether i should get the SB6141 $104 on time or just keep pay $2.50 modem fee??

BTW how much are you guys paying for your RR?

Thanks

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

No, you will not see a speed increase unless you're on a congested node. In fact, you'll most likely lose speed (assuming you currently have a D2 modem) as most TWC divisions do not allow Power Boost on D3 equipment.

I'm currently paying $52.99/mo plus an additional $10/mo for the old, no longer offered 15/1.5 "Turbo" upgrade; no modem rental fee.

/M

shade45

join:2004-07-04
Queens, NY

said by mackey:

No, you will not see a speed increase unless you're on a congested node. In fact, you'll most likely lose speed (assuming you currently have a D2 modem) as most TWC divisions do not allow Power Boost on D3 equipment.

I'm currently paying $52.99/mo plus an additional $10/mo for the old, no longer offered 15/1.5 "Turbo" upgrade; no modem rental fee.

/M

Why did you say i will lose the speed? i'm on RCA DCM425 DOCSIS 1 modem that time warner provided for $2.50 per month.

So i shouldn't buy the Motorola SB6141 and it will be waste of money? Should i just keep paying $2.50 per month then?

Thanks

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

1 recommendation

reply to shade45

In general I think yuo will see more CONSISTENT overall speeds for extended downloads. If you just browse the web and stuff I do not think you will see better speeds.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Gemutlich

join:2012-06-14

1 edit
reply to shade45

I debated the same thing in my mind a while back. I figured it would take about 3.5 years at $2.50/month to pay back the price of a new SB6141, and they may be cheaper at that time or newer technology come along. Plus I wasn't sure if I would even stay with TWC for 3.5 years. The D2 modem I'm using with my own router is working OK.

mackey
Premium
reply to shade45

said by shade45:

Why did you say i will lose the speed? i'm on RCA DCM425 DOCSIS 1 modem that time warner provided for $2.50 per month.

Like I said, you'll probably lose Power Boost if you switch to a D3 modem. »[TWC] No more perboost? A quick Googling shows that's actually a DOCSIS 2 modem.

As for rent vs buy, that's all up to you. I personally just bought a SB6141 even though they're not charging me a rental fee as I'm not getting Power Boost as it is and am planning on upgrading to the 30/5 "Extreme" tier soon and didn't want their crappy all-in-one gateway they insist on providing.

/M

bluepoint

join:2001-03-24
reply to shade45

said by shade45:

So i shouldn't buy the Motorola SB6141 and it will be waste of money? Should i just keep paying $2.50 per month then?

Thanks

This is the first time I heard monthly fee $2.50 for internet modems in NYC area, I know I don't. If you are paying monthly fee for your modem, do not buy a modem instead go to a TWC local office and ask/exchange for a D3 modem, you deserve to have one if they are charging you monthly for it.

ericn32
meh
Premium
join:2009-09-23
Costa Mesa, CA
Reviews:
·ooma
reply to shade45

By the way, there's a new discussion about the Modem Fee going up to $3.95 per month. I've been eyeing the SB6141, and expect a 25-month ROI.
About the increased speed - here's how it works (correct me if I'm wrong).
Each cable channel gives you about 38 Mbps, and when you're tuned to one channel that's almost fully used, and another has open capacity, the modem has to tune to the other channel to use the available bandwidth. With DOCSIS 3.0, you can tune to 8 channels at once and get bandwidth from all of them, up to your 10 Mbps cap. I imagine that this would deliver more consistent bandwidth.
Also, you might not need the SB6141. It bonds up to 8 channels, giving you about 300 Mbps throughput. The SB6121 bonds 4, giving you about 150 throughput. If you don't think you'll ever want more than 150 Mbps during the life of the router, you just need the SB6121, which retails for $80 on Amazon.
You could also get a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, which are cheaper and most similar to the DCM425 and won't perform any better/worse, just make sure to get one that's DOCSIS 2.0+IPv6 certified. Now would be a bad time to invest in IPv4 equipment.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by ericn32:

By the way, there's a new discussion about the Modem Fee going up to $3.95 per month. I've been eyeing the SB6141, and expect a 25-month ROI.
About the increased speed - here's how it works (correct me if I'm wrong).
Each cable channel gives you about 38 Mbps, and when you're tuned to one channel that's almost fully used, and another has open capacity, the modem has to tune to the other channel to use the available bandwidth. With DOCSIS 3.0, you can tune to 8 channels at once and get bandwidth from all of them, up to your 10 Mbps cap. I imagine that this would deliver more consistent bandwidth.
Also, you might not need the SB6141. It bonds up to 8 channels, giving you about 300 Mbps throughput. The SB6121 bonds 4, giving you about 150 throughput. If you don't think you'll ever want more than 150 Mbps during the life of the router, you just need the SB6121, which retails for $80 on Amazon.
You could also get a DOCSIS 2.0 modem, which are cheaper and most similar to the DCM425 and won't perform any better/worse, just make sure to get one that's DOCSIS 2.0+IPv6 certified. Now would be a bad time to invest in IPv4 equipment.

actually I would not recommend getting a DOCSIS 2.0 modem simply because they will probably EOL'd by the end of 2013 or 2014 the way things are going. TWC in Dallas already has bonding on the upstreams we are the third or fourth cluster to get upstream bonding behind NY, and Hawaii.

I am betting an upstream speed increase is in my future soon now that I am bonding four upstreams.

mackey
Premium
reply to ericn32

said by ericn32:

Sorry, the SB6121 is NOT approved by TWC. People have reported here that they were able to talk TWC into provisioning it for the Standard tier, but TWC will NOT provision it for use with the Extreme (30) or Ultimate (50) tiers. Either save your money and get a cheap D2 modem, or spend the extra $20 and get the approved SB6141.

/M

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by mackey:

Sorry, the SB6121 is NOT approved by TWC.

Which is odd to me since both the 6121 and the 6141 use the same software versions, one would expect they would both run the same on the network. This is eventually what has allowed comcast users to start owning the 6141, since that model was never on their allowed list.
--

mackey
Premium

said by swintec:

said by mackey:

Sorry, the SB6121 is NOT approved by TWC.

Which is odd to me since both the 6121 and the 6141 use the same software versions, one would expect they would both run the same on the network.

Are you sure about that? My (limited) research shows the 6121 uses a Broadcom chip whereas the 6120 and 6141 use a TI chip.

As far as TWC not approving the 6120 and 6121, I'm assuming it's an administrative prohibition. Even though it does bonding, it only bonds 4 channels. With 38 Mbps channels, someone on the Ultimate (50) tier will be using almost 50% of all 4 channels by themselves. That's not gonna play nice with D2 equipment also trying to use those channels!

/M

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by mackey:

Are you sure about that? My (limited) research shows the 6121 uses a Broadcom chip whereas the 6120 and 6141 use a TI chip.

»www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Vid···S-EN.pdf

From the 2nd page:
"Benefits:
Easily add the SB6141
to a deployed family of
SB6120s and SB6121s,
all three models utilize
the same firmware
image. This reduces
qualification time
for an Operator and
eliminates configuration
management headaches."
--

vvilliamm

join:2009-03-10
New York, NY
reply to shade45

um i have a 6120 modem on my 30/5 connection 0.0 maybe i got lucky?

Dampier
Phillip M Dampier

join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY
reply to mackey

said by mackey:

Is there any technical reason for this? I was aware my 30/5 service would never have PowerBoost, but I didn't really care. But why should someone with a D3 modem provisioned for 10/1 standard service also lose this?
--
Phillip M. Dampier
Editor, Stop the Cap!
»stopthecap.com

maddude

@rr.com

"Dear Time Warner Cable Customer:

As of Oct. 15, 2012 an internet modem lease fee will be applied to Time Warner Cable provided internet modems at a rate of $3.95 per month."

I live in brooklyn. F TWC. I am going to buy a 6141, not paying these thieves any more money.

mackey
Premium
reply to Dampier

No, no technical reason, they just have it disabled in the modem config file.

/M

SteveNYC

join:2004-03-29
Sunnyside, NY
reply to shade45

Have you guys seen everyone bumping up the price of the SB6141? Amazon's price went from like $109 to $124 and the only other place I've seen is eBay where they're going for something around $150 to $200.

I called to activate my 6120 with TWC last night. They first asked where I bought it (yes, really, that was the first question). Then they asked what model it was. I said 6141. I don't want to listen to their nonsense about how it can't be a 6120 because it has to be a 6141. It's DOCSIS 3.0. Then they asked for the MAC ID. Then I had to laugh when they said it would take up to 3 days for the MAC to be put in the system. If it's not connected when I get home, I'll call Tier 3 tech support. They're usually good if you get a supervisor.

They're worse than the government and that's saying something because I actually work for the government! I know how bad we are!

bghs

join:2006-08-19

said by SteveNYC:

Have you guys seen everyone bumping up the price of the SB6141? Amazon's price went from like $109 to $124 and the only other place I've seen is eBay where they're going for something around $150 to $200.

I called to activate my 6120 with TWC last night. They first asked where I bought it (yes, really, that was the first question). Then they asked what model it was. I said 6141. I don't want to listen to their nonsense about how it can't be a 6120 because it has to be a 6141. It's DOCSIS 3.0. Then they asked for the MAC ID. Then I had to laugh when they said it would take up to 3 days for the MAC to be put in the system. If it's not connected when I get home, I'll call Tier 3 tech support. They're usually good if you get a supervisor.

They're worse than the government and that's saying something because I actually work for the government! I know how bad we are!

Wow, glad I bought my 6141 a few weeks back.

Im planning on getting standard tier, then upgrading to extreme. Ill note any stupid questions they ask.

rayfield

@rr.com

Last week I bought the SB6121 by accident -- after checking the list of "approved" modems, I plugged "SB6141" into a search at NewEgg, and it spit out the SB6121 at me, and I went ahead and bought it. I didn't realize until this morning that I'd gotten the wrong one. Not really sure I'm willing to shell out $130 for the SB6141 in any case.

But when I called TWC yesterday to ask for the provisioning, the operator didn't blink when I gave her the model number along with the MAC address, though that doesn't prove much. She told me "someone from IT" would be calling me in a few days. Anyone want to give odds on them giving me trouble? I'm on the Standard tier.

mackey
Premium

said by rayfield :

Anyone want to give odds on them giving me trouble? I'm on the Standard tier.

A SB6121 is fine for the Standard tier, but you won't be able to use it for Extreme or Ultimate.

/M

raphaeltee

join:2004-10-24
Brooklyn, NY

said by mackey:

said by rayfield :

A SB6121 is fine for the Standard tier, but you won't be able to use it for Extreme or Ultimate.

/M

Thanks. I finally took a look at the modem: I've got a landline through TWC as well. Unless I'm misreading the TWC "help" and list of supported devices, the only way I can continue to get phone service is through one of *their* devices. Guess I will have to get VOIP for my landline through a third party. Which sucks also.

vondy

join:2012-10-07
reply to shade45

Looks like I picked the wrong week to get Time Warner. I purchased the Motorola SB6121 from Amazon after I called TWC to instal my cable. The guy on the phone said any cable Docsis 3.0 modem would work. Well apparently that was not the case when the installer showed up. He installed the TWC modem and I spent the rest of the day on the phone trying to figure out what to do.

Turns out the Motorola SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only two in Texas that are "certified". Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it. The SBG6580 is available but I don't need the WIFI because I already have an airport extreme.

What do you guys think? Wait around for the 6141 to become available, if ever, or get the wifi version and eat the extra cost.

Oh and to make matters worse, my wife threw away the box for the 6141 so I doubt Amazon is going to take it back.

Anyway, at least my internet is now about 5-10 times faster than my AT&T DSL.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

my wife threw away the box for the 6141 so I doubt Amazon is going to take it back.

You can try making the same "mistake" on the phone...

mackey
Premium
reply to vondy

said by vondy:

Turns out the Motorola SB6141 and the SBG6580 are the only two in Texas that are "certified". Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it. The SBG6580 is available but I don't need the WIFI because I already have an airport extreme.

I bought one from these guys a couple weeks ago when they were still $99. Although you can find a few auctions in the $150 range, at this point unless you're on the Extreme or Ultimate tier you're better off getting a cheap D2 modem and holding off on the 6141 for a few months.

/M

jeblis

join:2012-10-08
Austin, TX
reply to vondy

said by vondy:

Well of course I tried to purchase the SB6141 on Amazon but they are out of stock. I've looked everywhere else and it doesn't seem like anyone actually has or ever has sold it.

They had them in stock last Thursday for $120. There's just a surge in demand right now. You may need to pay the rental fee for a month or two until they are available again.

grayknight

join:2012-01-09
reply to raphaeltee

said by raphaeltee:

said by mackey:

said by rayfield :

/M

Thanks. I finally took a look at the modem: I've got a landline through TWC as well. Unless I'm misreading the TWC "help" and list of supported devices, the only way I can continue to get phone service is through one of *their* devices. Guess I will have to get VOIP for my landline through a third party. Which sucks also.

It's true that if you have phone service with TWC, you'll get to keep what modem they provided you. BUT you can still go an buy your own modem and not get charged the fee. What they will do is when you call in to get the new modem provisioned, they'll disable the ethernet on the original modem.

Fleeced

join:2012-10-06
kudos:2
reply to vondy

You can always bridge the 6580 to act like a modem if you can't get another brand of modem (The 6580s had terrible firmware issues for a while). There's other versions, most newer model gateway modems have a way to bridge them.

mystycs

join:2006-10-28
Forest Hills, NY
reply to shade45

I was getting 20/1 on a Ubee U10C018. Then i bought a new SB6141 and now its 10/1? Any ideas about this guys?

raphaeltee

join:2004-10-24
Brooklyn, NY
reply to shade45

I called last Friday with the MAC address of my 6121 & was told I'd be called within 72 hours to have it provisioned. On Tuesday I still hadn't heard back, so I "chatted" with a representative and asked him please to get it done.

Heard nothing -- and anxious that they would levy the charge, I called yesterday afternoon & waited 20 minutes for someone to get through to "the local office." Finally I was "put through" and started to give another, rather ignorant-sounding grunt of a woman the MAC address. Then she told me in 72 hours, the modem would be provisioned. I started say, "No, no, NO" and she started asking me if I'd filled out a form Q54TH or something. Not quite flying into a rage, I demanded to speak to her supervisor -- she came back on the line 5 minutes later to tell me her supervisor would call me back, which naturally, never happened.

I called the TWC help number once again and somehow got put through to a national help desk line -- a sort of automatic phone line escalation, if I had to guess. I wasn't really thrilled about spending another half an hour on the phone, but at least the woman seemed competent. She said she would see to it the modem was provisioned, and that someone would call me in an hour or so.

Naturally, no one called back last night. I've just spent another three quarters of an hour with another woman on the national help desk line who told me that the modem has now been provisioned. We went through connecting and disconnecting it, only to find that the modem cannot sustain a connection and keeps rebooting. She arranged a service appointment.

My guess at this point after a week of delays, including approximately three hours on the phone is that my little corner of Brooklyn is not outfitted to handle Docsis 3.0 -- this miserable little timewasting scenario sure smells like someone isn't leveling with me

Of course, I was insistent that they not charge me the modem fee since I'm almost certain they will not have this sorted out by Monday when the fee goes into effect -- of course, the woman said "Oh no, of course we won't. And you will not be charged for the service appointment, either."

Who wants to bet me they charge me anyway?