Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Liberty

join:2005-06-12
Tucson, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[Praise] Who are the packaging engineers?

Ever sort of marvel at the way some products (that need assembly), are packaged?

There are a few products I install often that contain odd shapes, a mix of large and small & tough and fragile, in one carton - all packed together so snug.

Even the way the individual componenet's cardboard 'spacers' mesh the shapes together and hold themselves in position.
Makes me think an engineer must of puzzled it out.

Is there a sub-catagory of engineering in getting dissimilar shaped objects fit tightly together?

misnmonday

join:2001-07-09
Grove City, OH

1 recommendation

Michigan State University’s School of Packaging.

I walked past this building for six yeas and always wondered if the lecture halls were arranged in some outlandish way to maximize the number of students per square foot

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to Liberty

Any engineer or manager in manufacturing.
Even logistics supervisors.
The trick is packaging as cheap as possible while never damaging anything also taking in account handling, weight, stackability or even how your boxes will fit maximizing the space in a cargo shipping container. Many different kinds of workers have to do this.

If you have a product very tightly packed then I can imaging they need to cut out a couple extra mm of space to optimize fit in a shipping container.
It could also be if that by squeezing everything into that smaller box they were able to stamp out the boxes on a smaller and cheaper machine.
It could be also by squeezing everything into a smaller box they get a better rate with shipping with UPS/FedEx/Usps.
Many factors go into the shape and size of a box.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
kudos:2
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to Liberty

said by Liberty:

Is there a sub-catagory of engineering in getting dissimilar shaped objects fit tightly together?

There's free training all over, you just have to know where to look

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TwVO734AW4

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to misnmonday

said by misnmonday:

Michigan State University’s School of Packaging.

I walked past this building for six yeas and always wondered if the lecture halls were arranged in some outlandish way to maximize the number of students per square foot

My brother got his degree there. I always kid him about spending over $30K to learn how to build cardboard boxes. I could have shown him that for a quarter of the price.

bills
Premium
join:2000-08-19
China
reply to Liberty

I always curse the clear plastic heat sealed packaging. They are a pain even with sharp scissors.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Liberty

I got a TV stand/cabinet which was damaged by FedEx because the so-called packaging engineer didn't protect the pieces properly. But they were squeezed into the tightest space possible.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

Yes, it is impressive how they manage to put everything in some really small boxes.

My only problem with that is when you want to bring back something to the store. Good lucky fitting everything back into the box.

said by Bob4:

I got a TV stand/cabinet which was damaged by FedEx because the so-called packaging engineer didn't protect the pieces properly. But they were squeezed into the tightest space possible.

Some boxes are not intended for shipping.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

The box was intended for shipping. It even had reinforced edges with graphics saying it was for protection during shipping. But FedEx still managed to damage the contents.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to Liberty

While maximizing the use of space of a shipping carton and shipping container is a priority, the shelf space allowances given to manufacturers by Wal-Mart is also a key component of product dimensions. The product dimensions driven by shelf space allowances may not be optimal for other purposes but if a manufacturer wants to maximize shelf exposure at Wal-Mart then they will work backwards from the shelf space allowances to arrive at retail shelf packaging and product dimensions.
--
Save water...drink beer!
--
#occupytheworkplace
--
Obama...it's junior high school all over again!
--
Democrats don't mind raising taxes because democrats don't pay taxes.

BigBlarg

join:2008-02-10
Longueuil, QC
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

The box was intended for shipping. It even had reinforced edges with graphics saying it was for protection during shipping. But FedEx still managed to damage the contents.

Hmmm... well.. still, some times, it doesn't matter how well packaged some products are. FedEx and UPS will still manage to destroy some packages.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to drslash

said by drslash:

While maximizing the use of space of a shipping carton and shipping container is a priority, the shelf space allowances given to manufacturers by Wal-Mart is also a key component of product dimensions. The product dimensions driven by shelf space allowances may not be optimal for other purposes but if a manufacturer wants to maximize shelf exposure at Wal-Mart then they will work backwards from the shelf space allowances to arrive at retail shelf packaging and product dimensions.

And going green. Computer software used to come in boxes the size of a hard cover novel. now they are smaller than a paperback. uses much less paper or plastic.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

Well, the media software came on, and stuff it came with, used to be much bigger too.

Now the media is smaller and the stuff it came with...is gone.
--
Think Outside the Fox.