spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Azazel

@rr.com

[TWC] Having to constantly hard-reset Motorola Surfboard...

Can someone help me understand why I keep having this issue?

Here's a little history of my situation...

Our home was wired with cable outlets when we bought it. The work wasn't very reliable and I had to do some fixing of those. When we got TWC, we were the last drop on the run on our road. All the outlets worked except for one, which TWC had put an in-the-house amplifier on.

Fast forward a few years, and we start having major problems. Cable/internet didn't work, and come to find out, our signal was too strong and was confusing everything. TWC had installed a booster outside the house originally, as well as the in-the-house amplifier, and when they extended the road line past us (us no longer being the last drop) it was throwing all our signals way too high. They removed both amplifiers and we were golden.

The past few years, however, we've had pretty constant problems with TWCs basic Motorola Surfboard modems. They require pretty constant hard-resets (usually at least every other day) but are usually pretty reliable.

Just recently, the need to hard-reset became a daily thing, and sometimes multiple times a day. I figured the modem had seen its better days, so I exchanged it for a different one this past Monday.

Now, every time I go to use the internet in the evenings after I get home from work, something is up with the modem again and it needs rebooting. I'm worse off than before switching them out.

The status nearly always looks like this:

Downstream Value
Frequency 615000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level -3 dBmV

Upstream Value
Channel ID 8
Frequency 34600000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 48 dBmV

The logs normally reflect something along the lines of:

2012-09-26 17:54:28 5-Warning B605.10 Map Reject - Downstream Traffic Flow Not Mapped to BPI+ SAID (EC=8)
2012-09-25 21:41:58 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2012-09-25 18:27:46 5-Warning B605.10 Map Reject - Downstream Traffic Flow Not Mapped to BPI+ SAID (EC=8)
1970-01-01 00:00:23 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:21 3-Critical D002.0 DHCP FAILED - Request sent, No response
1970-01-01 00:00:08 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
1970-01-01 00:00:05 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
2012-09-25 00:10:16 3-Critical R005.0 Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
2012-09-24 18:31:04 5-Warning B605.10 Map Reject - Downstream Traffic Flow Not Mapped to BPI+ SAID (EC=8)
2012-09-24 18:00:13 5-Warning D103.0 DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
1970-01-01 00:00:15 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
1970-01-01 00:00:06 3-Critical R002.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

I just hung up from waiting to talk to a TWC rep for over 10 minutes without an answer. I'll try them again tomorrow during the work day. I just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas what my problem might be. Are my signals exceptionally high or low? Does anything in the log look funky?

HELP!

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
Register for an account here, then post in the TWC DIRECT Forum. Only you and TWC Technicians can read and respond in there, and you may get better response than on the phone.

»Time Warner Cable Direct
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to Azazel
So you have another surfboard? What is the light pattern when it is not working?

Do you have a router? Any logs in the router at the times of no surf?

When you are unable to connect, try pinging the router then modem. Post results.

Azazel

@nc.us
Yes, I exchanged the modem this past Monday, but it is still a basic Motorola Surfboard.

I have a Belkin N wireless router hooked to the system, but don't see anything fishy in the logs when I can't connect.

I have noticed that, in the past, when the modem dropped connection, I couldn't pull up either the router or the modem's interface via IP address. I had to reset both to restore connection and then have available wireless. Now, with the recent modem, I can still pull up the router's interface, but I cannot pull up the modem's until it is reset.

When connection is lost, all the normal "working" lights seem to be functioning as normal. Power, Send, Receive, and Online are all green, with PC Activity lit up because of the router.

When it goes out, I've even tried going straight through the modem and not via-router connection, but the results are still the same. It won't read any internet connectivity until the cable modem is hard-reset...

I'll ping the devices this evening and post the results, but I always figured since I could pull up the interface via IP that I had no problem connecting with the router.

Jabbu
Premium
join:2002-03-06
reply to Azazel
If the modem drops offline you should still be able to ping or pull up the router. I'd bet my money it is your router, run direct to modem for a few days to see if it goes away.