Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

thurst0n

join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA
kudos:1

[IA] Mediacom Customer Service = Oxymoron

I live in Iowa. Johnston. We have the 20/2 package.

I have had many many issues with my service randomly cutting out here and there for maybe 30 seconds to 30 minutes. Typically closer to 30-60 seconds. My old modem used to sometimes reset itself, sometimes the lights would all stay on, I just wouldn't have a connection. This goes on and on forever. I've had 2 techs come out. No idea what the first one did (read: nothing) the 2nd one was completely unprofessional but that's besides the point if he can actually fix the problem. He replaced my modem, that was it. He didn't test the signal coming from the wall with his little toolie, he didn't talk to me about possible causes. He simply gave me what is supposed to be a newer better modem. I now have more issues with service cutting out, only this time it's closer to the 30 minutes when it goes out, and the modem actually turns it's lights off to indicate a problem. Slightly better maybe because I can see it's an issue with modem and not my router or other things. But also worse because it happens more often and it stays out longer.

Now tonight I have similar issues. I try calling to Mediacom and I literally get hung up on. Mediacom literally said "If you would like to speak to a representative, please try your call at a later time"

Really mediacom? Why do you think I called..

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

You need to contact MediacomChad and provide your account number. The phone system has been pretty much overloaded for several weeks.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

thurst0n

Johnston, IA

MediacomChad has all of my information, and I've been very back and forth with him.

Am I the only one who thinks that it's unreasonable for a TELECOM, PHONE PROVIDER to have an "overloaded" phone system. I really don't care if I have to wait on hold. I really will sit there with my phone on speaker ALL night, 1..2..3.. even 10 hours if I have to. What I do not approve of, is being told that "there is a problem, we know there is a problem, but you can't talk to us about the problem because we can't handle how many people are calling us about the problem"

What if I have a different problem from the main service outage? Another serious qualm I have with this entire scenario is that on their website it says they are available 24/7. Clearly this is a lie as they have gone out of their way to create a recorded message that tells you otherwise.

I work for a very very large corporation, and I work in a call center. We handle literally tens of thousands of calls each day. Our phones sometimes go out sure, but it doesn't take 2 weeks to get it fixed. Also when our phones go out, the message states the phones are out, system issue. It doesn't state that we can't handle our call volume due to how many there, because that's not true. The system has never gone down to my knowledge because of the # of calls. I remember a day where the hold time for customers was actually an hour. And there was always more than 100 calls in queue for each and every split. Some might say that an hour wait is not handling calls, but if a customer sits on hold for an hour, you can bet they will get taken care of. Note: The hold time is stated for the caller, so they know what they're getting into if they wait.

I can't be sure, but I am willing to bet that my corporation serves more customers than mediacon, and we are also open 24/7.

Mediacom- Do you have a proprietary phone system, or do you have a 3rd party like Avaya?

Anonymous
Premium
IA

It's not a matter of an outage it's the number of calls coming in. Once the system is maxed out it is not able to handle any additional calls. Also you may have to wait 2 weeks or so for a trouble call.
--

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

said by Anonymous:

It's not a matter of an outage it's the number of calls coming in. Once the system is maxed out it is not able to handle any additional calls. Also you may have to wait 2 weeks or so for a trouble call.

2 weeks for a trouble call come on... Hire more techs.... Hire more phone reps or get more trunk lines. It amazes me how mediacom does hate the customer. For some of us if we had choices we would leave mediacrap. Mediacom raises rate but customer service in the last 3 months has went the crap

thurst0n

Johnston, IA

3 edits
reply to Anonymous

The point of this thread was to make people aware of mediacoms unwillingness to help customers. And trust me they are unwilling as I will try to elaborate on in this reply.
Again this thread is not to help diagnose my issue.

I have already scheduled a tech to come out and actually do tests. It's a bit infuriating that the previous tech simply decided to do absolutely no testing, and also infuriating that they didnt even state my problem correctly for the tech. So maybe it's not his fault, but its speaks to culture at mediacom. The tech support guy I just spoke to told me and I quote "some of the reps don't like telling people 2-3 weeks for a tech, so they get the quickest appointment they can, and do to this they lie about the issue you're having, by doing so the tech only has a 30 minute window to get work done, which only allows him to change the modem."

Anyone who has ever worked for any business, knows that if you rush every single order, when you do..no order gets rushed. So you can't rush every single order or there would be no such thing as a rushed order. It would now just be an order.

Once there are too many calls it can't take anymore? And what then is the maximum number of calls? How many calls is too many? It must be a specific integer based on what you told me. You are full of shit and so is Mediacom.

It's really a simple solution. Your system can't handle the call volume, increase the amount of calls the system can handle. This isn't the first time I've heard this message at mediacom, it's a very common one over the past few years. Again it speaks to culture there. Any competent management would see this as a PROBLEM and actually fix it, instead of putting a stupid recording on it as a bandaid. That bandaid is still on there from who knows how long ago.. it's still a bloody bandaid, and I think the wound is starting to get infected.

This is part of the reason why whenever someone asks me for recommendation on an ISP, I tell them, that when Mediacom works it's the fastest you can get in our area, but if you don't want to have headaches just get DSL and deal with the slightly slower speeds and higher pings.

thurst0n

Johnston, IA
reply to Anonymous

Also I think I stated somewhere, although may have been in a PM to chad. That system outtages happen, and I'm fine with that. It's a differently thing entirely to act as though this is normal business to simply not allow customers to sit on hold.

After I finally got through guess how long I was on hold? 5-6 minutes. I realize that it would have been much longer if everyone was able to get through at once. But that's just life, sometimes it takes longer to do things than you'd like it to.

As far as techs, that is much harder to gauge and predict. But in a call center, you can basically hire anyone off the street, give them a week training and put them on the phone.

That being said.. 2-3 weeks is a little long to wait for a tech to come...imo The earliest I had an option for tonight was 10/9. I chose 10/14 so I don't have to take off work like I did when the first tech came out. Which apparently was a complete waste of time since it didn't solve the issue, and the tech didn't even ATTEMPT to diagnose the problem. He did the same thing they do at the call center, he put a bandaid on it, and he didnt even know if the bandaid was in the right place..

And this is a PSA. Make sure you know what kind of call they are doing BEFORE they come out. 30 minutes is only enough time to replace modem and do a speed test. I CAN HOOK UP A MOEDM MYSELF MEDIACOM, I wonder how much you had to pay that stoner to come and install my modem for me... he never said a word to me, thank god i'm a people person and was able to infer from the stupid look on his face that he needed me to initiate everything and hold his hand and spood feed him information.

If you have real issues with intermittent speeds, the tech needs to test your line, make sure you don't have too many splitters and a whole plethora of other things my original tech didn't even try to do. It should be a 2+ hour window that they have to WORK, not 30 minutes for a "quick call" as I believe they call it.

thurst0n

Johnston, IA
reply to GLIMMER

Last three months? I remember hearing this same message 7+ years ago. I do not recall a time when dealing with their customer service was anything but a difficult thing. Even in sales half of them don't know what they're doing.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

1 edit
reply to thurst0n

Well I'm just a field tech so I don't make any decisions about call center capacity and/or how many people they hire. I was just trying to help you and inform you about other ways of getting support. I sure hope you won't act like that when the next tech shows up. Yes some techs are better than others but if you act like that when someone is looking into an issue you're having I doubt they will feel any need to take some time and try to fix it.

On average one trouble call gets 60 min (including drive time), sometimes it takes less and sometimes it takes more time. 99% of the time if you treat someone with respect they will treat you the same.
--

thurst0n

Johnston, IA

4 edits

What way do you think I acted the last time the tech showed up? Are you implying that you have "showed up" to help me with my issues. Because by your own admittance you are not here as a Tech Support of mediacom, you are here as an individual consumer. So....

I'm not sure to what you're specifically saying.

Let me break down the last tech visit for you, it may shed some light on why my ire is so high.

*doorbell*
*I open door*
*dude looks at me blankly, he is unkept, hairs a mess, shirt untucked, looks high*
"Hi!" I say.
"I'm here from mediacom to look at your modem"
"Yup great, come in"
*he walks in, says nothing, but does take his shoes off*
"Ok so uh, the modem is downstairs..this way" I say
*he says nothing, but follows me to the basement*
"it's over there next to my computer, you can close any windows I have open, do you need anything" I say.
*he mumbled, I assume it was a no*
*about a minute goes by*
"Hey uh, did they explain the issues to you..or?" I ask.
*he mumbled again, so I assumed he didn't know what was up*
gave him a brief rundown of my intermittent issues, he didnt care because he was ONLY there to replace the modem, because that's all the people on the phone scheduled him time for.

I don't know how you think I'm acting that will make people not want to help me. I really don't care if they want to help me or not as it's their job to help me. All I'm doing is stating what my experience has been and the issue I have with it. I am doing this so other people are aware and can possibly avoid similiar issues. If I had known the tech call should have taken 2 hours I would have had that type of tech call scheduled. I am not in IT, what I know about networks is pieced together and probably mostly inaccurate. As a consumer I am relying on my service provider to know what the issues are, or at least give a serious attempt to find out for themselves if they don't already know. That is afterall why mediacom is in business right? I mean to say, that their business is providing access to the internet. By nature of their business they should know how to resolve issues that arise.

I appreciate you informing me of other ways to get help, I was already aware of all the ways you presented, and am already very upset with the entire situation, which is why I was so short with you. I am also aware that my attitude is not going to make me any friends. I am not here to make friends. Keep in mind I also did not ask for my problem to be resolved in this thread.

1) I took off work to be home while Mediacom did something that I can easily do myself without taking off work, which was to replace a modem that was not an issue in the first place. Mediacom knew what my issues were and did not order the proper tech call.

2) I still have issues even after the tech has been to my house. The tech did no line tests to check for signal or possible causes to the signal being weak.

3) I cannot get ahold of customer service because too many people are calling. Perhaps this is it's own sign. If so many people have problems that the phone lines can't handle it, maybe you should fix the ACTUAL problem instead of band-aiding everyone. If my problem was fixed/diagnosed correctly the first time. I would not have had to attempt to call tonight.

4) Your Tech Support line is the one that told me that it's common practice for reps to schedule the 30-minute "quick calls" as a way to avoid dealing with blowback from customers after customers are told it will be ~2 weeks.

Please let me know specifically how I'm acting that made you post your last post?

Edit: I see you edited your post. I want to reiterate, I treated the tech who I let into my home with nothing but respect. I even offered him a drink even though I didn't included it above as it's not relevant. Now that it's weeks later, and the issue is still not resolved, and I've been told by your phone people that the reason it was not resolved is due to a choice made by people on the phone to actively not do their job. Yes I"m a little angry. Also when I have to take off work for something that I could have done myself, when I was led to believe we would at least find out WHY it was happening, even if it couldn't be fixed or resolved. Yeah you could say I'm irked, and my ire has been raised.

The other edit was some grammar, and had to edit to add this line.

Final Edit: I don't even think I'm being disrespectful in this thread (except to you a little bit because of your generic canned responses) I think mediacom has been disrespectful to me. They can't even document my issue correctly or be up front with me about what's going on and what kind of tech call I'm getting?

Anyone out there who is not affiliated with mediacom think I'm being out of line here? I will gladly shutup if there is a consensus that I'm off base here.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

3 edits

I hate to tell you this but service call jobs all have 60 min assigned. There is no 15 min nor 2 hour service call. If they schedule a field audit or an SRO (special request order) to check outside signals only, that job can be done in 15 min and includes no customer contact.

Even if the order states 'replace modem' he should always check your wiring too. In fact while I read comments for each job I never make decisions based on the comments alone. CS reps were instructed many times NOT to tell customers stuff like that because they can't be sure 100% (or at least keep the comment internal and not let the customer know).

PS It's company policy not to take shoes off. I used to take them off until I stepped on some (already) broken glass (oddly enough the guy knew about it but forgot to tell me). From that point on I keep my shoes on 100% of the time.
--

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

was the guy a contractor? is mediacom still out sourcing tech jobs? The problem is lack of training. Im sure mediacom does not pay you guys all that well either so that is where the I dont give a crap tude comes from.

Anonymous
Premium
IA

Due to the number of pending trouble calls some of them are assigned to contractors. They get $25/job so you know what that means. You can tell if they show up in a personal vehicle with a Mediacom sticker or an actual Mediacom van.
--

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

yeah thats a way to pay them no wonder they rush to get done they can get 20 calls in a day hell thats good pay... and thats a stupid system that hurts the customer. Mediacom really must no want to be in business in 10 years. Because there business plan plain sucks.

thurst0n

Johnston, IA
reply to Anonymous

I never saw his van. So I'm not sure if he was a contractor or not. Frankly that isn't my problem it's mediacoms. It's mediacoms responsibility to make sure the tech knows what's going on and how to fix it whether he is a contractor or a full employee.

Obviously a good tech, like you've described yourself to be, will probe deeper to get to the bottom of issues. And that's what a good company will do, take the extra time to do it right, because why would you want to fix the same issue twice at your own expense? This is like day one business school stuff.

Why would you 'hate' to tell me something that is the truth? I have no idea what the truth is, but I believe that you think you are telling me the truth.

The man on the phone tonight told me that the issue described would dictate the length of the call scheduled. The length of the call scheduled will directly effect availability time. Just like at a restaurant there are more options for a table of 2 than a table of 4. Well there are more slots for 30 minutes than 60 minutes or 120 minutes whatever the slots you allocate may be. His logic was entirely sound when he said that certain phone support reps will avoid confronting the customer with things the customer doesn't want to hear ie it will take 2 weeks to get this looked at. I'm wondering what incentive he had to explain this in this way to me. Perhaps he was trying to play 'good guy' to appease me..

If he should always check my wiring then what reason did he not? I know he did megapath speed test, and I believe he opened up the router page to look at the signal, but he didnt actually test the line itself, or check for splitters in the house etc. After I figured out his mission (replacing my modem) it became pretty clear to me that that was his only purpose from the beginning.

Would the logs show if he checked my wires?

PS. What if the customer requests that you remove your shoes? Do you refuse? Don't you have to go outside sometimes to test lines, isn't it sometimes rainy, or snowy, or muddy, and don't you then sometimes track mud, water, dirt, through your clients home? Do you then also put in a request for mediacom to clean the carpets afterwards? This all goes back to culture, mediacom would rather avoid paying workers compensation because of a 1-off scenario, than extend a common courtesy to their customers?

If you ever try to come in my home and don't take your shoes off, I will not let you in my home, I will ask you to leave, if you don't I will call the police. I will then insist on a refund from mediacom for the time I missed from work and the time that my internet service is not working. This is bordering on ridiculous now.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

multiband has there tech use disposible booties.

OldCableGuy

@planetcr.net
reply to thurst0n

Mediacom also has the booties. And actually it is an OSHA requirement that you do not remove your boots/shoes inside at a work site which the customer home is part of.

Quite frankly the whole way you described this has turned me off. You judged the installer / contractor / tech before he even walked in the door. Your description of him leaves no question you feel you are better than him. It is no wonder that no one has worked your issue.

Quite frankly, if I was the tech assigned to your ticket I'd tell you that if you know so much about the problem, fix it yourself.

Customers like you are why techs get burnt out and quit caring.

Expand your moderator at work

thurst0n

Johnston, IA
reply to OldCableGuy

Re: [IA] Mediacom Customer Service = Oxymoron

If you think I'm so knowledgeable about hte problem you're wrong. The only things I've stated in this thread about the problem are easily identifiable by anyone ie my internet isn't working. Or was told to me explicitly and specifically by someone who works for or represents mediacom. The guy I scheduled another appointment with last night was the one that told me they should have had more time to do the proper tests. The other tech in THIS THREAD is the one that told me they should test lines EVERYTIME. I dont purport myself to be smart when it comes to tech or networks or modems or routers or ISPs. I just go with what I'm told. If i'm being told something that's wrong that's my problem and I"ll deal with it when it comes back to bite me. In the mean time I expect people do do their job.

thurst0n

Johnston, IA
reply to OldCableGuy

said by OldCableGuy :

Mediacom also has the booties. And actually it is an OSHA requirement that you do not remove your boots/shoes inside at a work site which the customer home is part of.

Quite frankly the whole way you described this has turned me off. You judged the installer / contractor / tech before he even walked in the door. Your description of him leaves no question you feel you are better than him. It is no wonder that no one has worked your issue.

Quite frankly, if I was the tech assigned to your ticket I'd tell you that if you know so much about the problem, fix it yourself.

So the tech chose to go against osha then? I'm not sure what your point is. I feel like you didnt even read my posts.

I definately judged the tech before he walked in my door. It's called a first impression. He didn't look professional at all. I didn't tell him this or treat him any differently, it was an internal thing that I've only brought up now for context because he literally did nothing.

I did not act like a smartass to him at all. I asked if he knew what the issues were I was having, and explained to him the best I could. Internet cuts out randomly sometimes the modem resets, sometimes it doesn't.

Everytime someones posts they seem to say things the tech did wrong, then tell me that I'm in the wrong for the way I treated him. I treated him like a human.

I do feel that I'm better at my job than he is at his job. But I do not in any way think I'm close to his level in terms of knowledge regarding modems and networking. I do however know how to plug in a modem, and connect an ethernet cable to my router and then to my computer. That I know how to do. I could probably also do the line tests if I had the equipment.

Customers like me are how techs get burned out? Please tell me exactly how I treated the tech that turned him off so much.. Also please tell me why I'm not supposed to be upset when I'm the one getting jerked around by mediacom. Why do I need to have another tech out to my house? Oh that's right the first tech didn't do his job, if he did his job, then the person on the phone who scheduled the thing didn't do their job. It's not my job to know what the problem is. I did my job which is paying the bill and telling mediacom when serviec is out.

Quite frankly I don't care if you're turned off. I haven't done anything wrong. If you don't agree with me that's fine, but I never treated anyone in any bad way. The worst words I had were me ranting to MediacomChad when I was in the moment and upset. He handled it wonderfully.

You need to really read what I"m saying instead of making assumptions and putting words or actions in my mouth.

Do you not make an impression of someone when you first see them? Would you not think it's relevant that someone looks unprofessional and doesn't even attempt to talk to you when that's their job to figure out the problem and fix it?

If he knows the issue he should have fixed it or done proper tests. If he didn't know the issue then he needs to ask me.

I only brought up the shoes thing because that other tech did. I don't care if he takes his shoes off or not. It's good to know that he broke an osha rule though. Maybe I should report him.. you do make a very good point in that.

Of course I would have no problem if you put a bag over your shoes, but to simply refuse to take your shoes off with no other options would not fly in my house. I hope you are now more turned off than you were, because I'm getting turned on.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to OldCableGuy

said by OldCableGuy :

Exactly. Thank you for this.

He's one of those customers that call in and wants a tech out now. Not when they can but now. Meaning he wants the tech to come out to his issue before other customers who called in first get their issues fix first. I've dealt with these customers before. They usually make threats about leaving to another ISP. Go to that ISP, have the same issue there, then come back.

It's just another case of idiot customer having a fit.

About your comment on the person no removing their shoes and you'd not let them in. That's your fault as we can see you have no compassion for the rules techs have to follow. As stated, it's an OSHA rule not to remove shoes. So instead of being a jerk about it you could be like " I want this done so I'll get some towels or a sheet." But hey you wanted to make it difficult. From reading all this it's evident you like to be difficult.

Also the phone queue isn't always full of people needing help. Often at least from my experience in the call center is that people are calling to ask questions or add services. Yes support issues come in but not as much as people think. Not every call is a trouble call. I remember once taking 100 calls and 80 were asking me questions about the home page and the antivirus. 5 were asking to add remove services.

GLIMMER

Fisher, IL

said by CappinHoff:

It's just another case of idiot customer having a fit.

That statement right there is why mediacom will always be rated last in customer service among cable companys. You guys just dont care and your statement there backs it up