uniqs
share rss forum feed

erfans

join:2008-10-10
Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms

[Cable] Need help here since TSI chose to ignore me.

So I contacted TSI support through their website since I am not home during business hours. I want to move my modem upstairs but the coax outlet that used to work with Rogers no longer works with Teksavvy. I assume the Rogers technician that came to install TSI for me disabled all the coax outlets except for the one being used by TSI cable modem.

quote:
Hi There,

Do you live in a house or an apartment? Can you see the line that is being fed in or are multiple lines entering the home?

It depends on these situations if we can do anything about this or not.

Have a great day!
Liz
It has been ten days since I responded to that e-mail. I have sent two followup e-mails and still no reply. Terrible customer service and incompetent staff you have going there TSI.

My question to the community here is how much would it cost to move my cable modem upstairs? I don't understand why the Rogers tech that came to activate TSI deactivated all but one coax outlet in the house. I'd be pissed if I have to pay to get the rest of the coax outlets active again. I shouldn't have to pay since they were active prior to TSI installation. Also, all the wires seem to be coming into the basement through the wall. The splitters must be kept hidden inside Rogers panel attached to the outside wall of the house since there are no splitters in the basement where all the wires are coming in.

Sigh......

graniterock
Premium
join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Is this the same issue as this?

»New router + Wireless USB issues

Have you tried the direct forums? Might find your questions more quickly replied to by them.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to erfans
Would you have the ticket # for the email you sent?

I'll have a look into those emails for you.

As for if there is a charge, I'm unaware, but I try and find out for you. For the multiple lines coming in, my take is that the Coax lines are split inside the residence. There would be no point in putting a splitter outside & run several lines through the wall.

Do you see where the line goes from inside to outside?

Thanks,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to erfans
said by erfans:

I don't understand why the Rogers tech that came to activate TSI deactivated all but one coax outlet in the house.

Standard practice when you have no other services from Rogers. Videotron does the same thing in Quebec.

One of the reasons for this is that unused cables can cause signal degradation and interference via signal leakage, reflections and ingress noise.

erfans

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms
reply to TSI Martin
said by graniterock:

Is this the same issue as this?

»New router + Wireless USB issues

Somewhat, yes. I have fixed the WiFi issues by re-installing stock cisco firmware. DD-WRT was unstable on the E4200.

said by TSI Martin:

As for if there is a charge, I'm unaware, but I try and find out for you. For the multiple lines coming in, my take is that the Coax lines are split inside the residence. There would be no point in putting a splitter outside & run several lines through the wall.

Thanks,
Martin

Ticket#2012091610010778
I can see several wires coming in to the basement from the outside. I have not checked the outside and it is dark so I will check it tomorrow and let you know. If I remember correctly, there is a tube type of thing coming from the wall and going into the rogers box outside.

Point to be noted is that the Rogers technician that came to activate TSI did not step into the basement. If I remember correctly, he only asked which outlet will be used for the cable modem.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
I've replied to the email.

I'd be interested in finding out how many cables are going into your house. I'm also kind of wondering if there may have been multiple services run to the residence in the past? 2x Internet 2x TV services?

Thanks,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

There would be no point in putting a splitter outside & run several lines through the wall.

Thanks,
Martin

In a house its actually standard practice to split from outside and run lines and drill holes through walls....fishing cable wiring is definitely a PITA and Out of Scope for installers so usually they just run a split from a CSE outside and go from there, so more than likely the tech disconnected the other drops....as would be likely if they didn't have TV service...

You should be able to charge to move the outlet to another room...As InvalidError says, reduces ingress and egress possibilities and reflections....fun stuff.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
Thanks for this, I'll remember that. I definitely don't know everything...

Crowbar1

join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON
reply to erfans
Sorry and all that , but ..... You're responsible for inside wiring not TSI . TSI supplied you with an internet connection ... that's all you pay them for . What Robbers did before is irrelevant . If you want to move your modem after the fact then that's not their problem ...

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 edit
While you're absolutely correct, someone at TSI should have told him that in the last 10 days.

EDIT: Whoops, it looks like my 'reply to' didn't show up. This was in reply to Crowbar1's post directly above mine. TSI Jonathan, sorry for the confusion.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

said by TSI Martin:

There would be no point in putting a splitter outside & run several lines through the wall.

Thanks,
Martin

In a house its actually standard practice to split from outside and run lines and drill holes through walls....fishing cable wiring is definitely a PITA and Out of Scope for installers so usually they just run a split from a CSE outside and go from there, so more than likely the tech disconnected the other drops....as would be likely if they didn't have TV service...

You should be able to charge to move the outlet to another room...As InvalidError says, reduces ingress and egress possibilities and reflections....fun stuff.

I can echo that statement based on previous experience. I've had two installs with exactly the same SOP. Both residences were MDUs and the installer ran a new line from their box split from the previous lines. The lines were run on the outside of the building to an outside room where the modem would reside.

The more recent install had a great tech. He did a bang up job drilling through the exterior wall, caulking it shut, giving me a nice RJ6 faceplate on the inside wall, running the coax wire along the baseboards to my office desk, and stapling it down. Very clean job I can't say the same for the previous "whole-in-the-wall there it's done...." install I had. Either way it got me great service because I didn't have to worry about the hundreds of meters of old coax running through the place from services that were installed years ago.

I also know they remove other connections because at the recent install they accidentally disconnected the downstairs tenant's internet/cable TV when they connected mine :rolleyes:

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Crowbar1
said by Crowbar1:

Sorry and all that , but ..... You're responsible for inside wiring.

True for DSL/phone. Not true for Cable.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:11
reply to erfans
Just go to where the coax enters your house and reconnect the coax line that you want the modem to be connected to.

anon user

@teksavvy.com
reply to Crowbar1
Regardless of who is responsible for the wires inside the house, Teksavvy has the responsibility to help their customers. In this case, either help move the wires or provide a list of approved contractors that will help him at his cost. Ignoring him because they are incompetent at running their business is not acceptable.

Also, I have multiple cables coming into my basement. Previous owners had Rogers home phone which they pulled a dedicated line in for, also is labelled.

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to erfans
Put a connector on the coax and run it upstairs or buy a new longer coax cable and don't use a connector and run it upstairs. Just what's this fixation or obsession with putting the modem upstairs anyways?

JeanInNepean

join:2012-09-19
Nepean, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy TekTalk
·voip.ms
·Primus Talkbroad..
reply to erfans
said by erfans:

I don't understand why the Rogers tech that came to activate TSI deactivated all but one coax outlet in the house.

Any open cable outlet or badly bent or otherwise damaged piece of coax is a source of noise for cable. The cost of testing/examining/replacing your unused wires and putting termination caps on all open outlets is much higher (and faster) than just disconnecting the wires you don't need.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to TSI Martin
said by TSI Martin:

Thanks,
Martin

Funny part about that Martin, that's exactly what they did at my house. I have the Rogers box on the wall of the house, cable runs into the basement for TV, and upstairs for my Internet.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
reply to ChuckcZar
said by ChuckcZar :

Put a connector on the coax and run it upstairs or buy a new longer coax cable and don't use a connector and run it upstairs.

Otherwise, any additional connections are considered new activations. And will cost a new modem + activation.

xdrag

join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

2 edits
reply to erfans
If there's still a cable running through upstairs, it's a simple job of finding the feed and connect it back to the main hub. They probably disconnected a splitter. Unfortunately this stuff is not responsible from TSI. The cables are the property of rogers but if you call them up to come help you with connecting these cables, they'll charge you.

The best way to do this is spending a few hours, mapping out the cable feeds and outlets then hooking up the cables.

It's like connecting garden hoses. Unless your wires are ancient, you're not likely to run into service problems.

P.S. DD-wrt should be much much more stable than any stock firmware from cisco. I believe you installed the beta builds or you forgot to do the 30/30/30 reset (clear nvram). The current recommend build is 14929.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to anon user
said by anon user :

Regardless of who is responsible for the wires inside the house, Teksavvy has the responsibility to help their customers. In this case, either help move the wires or provide a list of approved contractors that will help him at his cost. Ignoring him because they are incompetent at running their business is not acceptable.

Also, I have multiple cables coming into my basement. Previous owners had Rogers home phone which they pulled a dedicated line in for, also is labelled.

Nope... They do not have to provide him with anything if it's not something they are not responsible for it.

Doing something like you said mean they are endorsing these company and i am pretty sure that is not something they want to do because they could be hold responsible if thing goes sour.

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
said by XoX:

said by anon user :

Nope... They do not have to provide him with anything if it's not something they are not responsible for it.

Doing something like you said mean they are endorsing these company and i am pretty sure that is not something they want to do because they could be hold responsible if thing goes sour.

+1

TekSavvy can't legally deal with wiring issues until the day when they actually own the wires, or at least operate their own last-mile network. Their error in this case appears to be lack of communication, not lack of action. If you want to move your modem upstairs, move it upstairs and run a cable to it. Better yet, leave it where it is and get the internet connection upstairs via Cat5 or even your electrical system: »www.amazon.com/Netgear-XE102-Pow···0008I9KJ

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to BronsCon
said by BronsCon:

While you're absolutely correct, someone at TSI should have told him that in the last 10 days.

Depending on if the OP placed the order himself or over the phone with us. It is stated in our terms and conditions which we read to every single customers when we place an order for them over the phone. If the OP placed it online he is required to agree that he read and understands the terms and conditions which states exactly:

"TekSavvy or any of its agents or third party providers are only responsible to bring/provide service to the locations demarcation point. Under no circumstance or condition are any of the above responsible for any inside wiring, internal repairs or equipment."

We make sure our customers are well aware of this prior to start with the order.

Thank you,
--
TSI Jonathan
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
I was actually agreeing that TSI is not and should not be liable for the customer's inside wiring. However, that doesn't get you off the hook for not replying to the guy for 10 days, which is the point I was making. It doesn't take 10 days to tell the guy "read the terms you agreed to, it's not our responsibility".

You should know from previous threads that I'm a huge supported (though maybe a bit outside your service area) of TSI as a company. I've said (and proven) time and again that, as part of this, I'm also willing to point out where you've screwed up and why your actions were wrong. This is one of those times.

I don't think there's anything to do here, as far as fixing the issue for the customer, other than apologizing for not getting back to him in a timely manner, so after you've done that, perhaps consider implementing a policy requiring that all open tickets be contacted at least once in the first 24hr and at least once in every 48hr period thereafter, until the ticket is closed. Even if that contact is simply an email stating "we haven't forgotten about you", that would go a long way in cases like this one.

TSI Support1
TSI Support
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
However, that doesn't get you off the hook for not replying to the guy for 10 days, which is the point I was making. It doesn't take 10 days to tell the guy "read the terms you agreed to, it's not our responsibility".

Absolutely agree with this! And we are working very hard on trying to correct our resolution times. I really like the "we haven't forgotten about you" email idea.

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to BronsCon
My bad BronsCon, I read your message wrong. I understand what you mean and yes we definitely are in the wrong for not responding to him in a timely manner. We got behind on emails and they were coming as fast as we were answering them. We are actually fully caught up as of yesterday and are responding within 24hrs now.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Edit: the we haven't forgotten about you is a great idea! Definitely will keep that in mind if we run behind again.

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to erfans
Hi Erfans,

First of all, I am sorry that you had an email go 10 days without a response. Over the past few months, we have been extremely swamped with emails and we have been doing our best to get things current. Over the past couple of days, we have got things pretty much right back on track.

Because of our extremely busy period, we had some issues with our internal ticketing system which made things slip off our radar. We did fix this and made sure it doesn't happen again! I am going to assume your email may have been affected as all emails we currently have in queue are current.

To address your issue, when the Rogers tech comes out, he installs the service on one outlet coming from the outside. During this process, if there are any splitters that would cause signal deterioration, he normally removes them (unless there are other services in the house). In some instances, the tech may install service to all outlets, although he/she is not required to do so, if he/she is in a good mood, they may.

We can ask Rogers to perform a relocation. This process has a charge of $65.00.

Since we have dropped the ball on your case, I would like to work with you to get this done more conviniently. Can you please email me your account info and we can go from there?

Thanks,

Andre
--
TSI Andre
Director of Service Delivery
Authorized TSI Employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
@AndreCleroux - Follow me on Twitter
Expand your moderator at work

news

@videotron.ca
reply to TSI Andre

Re: [Cable] Need help here since TSI chose to ignore me.

It's a standard practice for all cable co. They can't provide enough signal to guarantee your cable modem can be plugged in all your cable outlets in the house, cable plant hasn't been designed that way. So your cable modem is supposed to be connected to a dedicated outlet, so if you are subscribe to Internet only, only the cable wire going to your cable modem will be connected. They also don't want cable outlets connected to their network if there is no customer promise equipment at the other end, to avoid noise coming back on the cable plant from open lines.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to TSI Jonathan
Nah, you read it right, the 'reply to' line was missing so it read as though I was replying to OP. I had to go back and correct that. No worries, it happens.

Glad to see that you like my idea. It shouldn't be too difficult to implement, with a sane ticketing system, but I'm not sure what you guys are using. There's nto way it would ever happen with the ticketing system I'm forced to work with; and my company develops these kinds of things!! Hopefully I'll be allowed to do a rewrite soon...

erfans

Canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·voip.ms
reply to TSI Andre
said by Crowbar1:

Sorry and all that , but ..... You're responsible for inside wiring not TSI . TSI supplied you with an internet connection ... that's all you pay them for . What Robbers did before is irrelevant . If you want to move your modem after the fact then that's not their problem ...

Well...access to my inside wiring has been restricted. I have no access to the splitters and Teksavvy deactivated all of my outlets except for one. Granted, it was a Rogers technician but he was representing TSI, no? Had Teksavvy or their technician explained to me that my coax outlets will be deactivated, then the situation would've been much different. Neither mentioned a word. That's what is really bothering me.

said by JCohen:

Just go to where the coax enters your house and reconnect the coax line that you want the modem to be connected to.

I don't have access to the splitters, thanks to Robbers.

said by ChuckcZar :

Put a connector on the coax and run it upstairs or buy a new longer coax cable and don't use a connector and run it upstairs. Just what's this fixation or obsession with putting the modem upstairs anyways?

What's the obsession with 50ft wires all over the house when you can simply plug the modem into an outlet upstairs?

said by xdrag:

The best way to do this is spending a few hours, mapping out the cable feeds and outlets then hooking up the cables.

It's like connecting garden hoses. Unless your wires are ancient, you're not likely to run into service problems.

P.S. DD-wrt should be much much more stable than any stock firmware from cisco. I believe you installed the beta builds or you forgot to do the 30/30/30 reset (clear nvram). The current recommend build is 14929.

Thank you! But, unfortunately, all of the coax cables are coming directly from the Rogers box attached to the outside wall of the house. There is no hub or splitter in the basement. I am assuming the Rogers box is the hub which may include splitters.

I had performed the 30-30-30 hard reset prior to flash and after flashing with DD-WRT. I was using 18777, the current recommended firmware version for the E4200 according to it's dd-wrt wiki page.

said by TSI Jonathan:

Depending on if the OP placed the order himself or over the phone with us. It is stated in our terms and conditions which we read to every single customers when we place an order for them over the phone. If the OP placed it online he is required to agree that he read and understands the terms and conditions which states exactly:

"TekSavvy or any of its agents or third party providers are only responsible to bring/provide service to the locations demarcation point. Under no circumstance or condition are any of the above responsible for any inside wiring, internal repairs or equipment."

We make sure our customers are well aware of this prior to start with the order.

Thank you,

You should also include in your terms and conditions that all of your coax outlets will be deactivated except for one which will be used for the cable modem!

said by TSI Andre:

To address your issue, when the Rogers tech comes out, he installs the service on one outlet coming from the outside. During this process, if there are any splitters that would cause signal deterioration, he normally removes them (unless there are other services in the house). In some instances, the tech may install service to all outlets, although he/she is not required to do so, if he/she is in a good mood, they may.

We can ask Rogers to perform a relocation. This process has a charge of $65.00.

Great! TSI deactivates all of my coax outlets and then charges me $65 to reactivate one of the deactivated coax outlets. Then tells me that they're not responsible for any inside wiring and equipment as per the terms and conditions. Just......great!

I can now understand that it's standard procedure for cable technicians to deactivate all unused coax outlets but the ordinary people don't know this. Even TSI Martin did not know this. You should AT LEAST let your customers know that all of their currently active coax outlets will be deactivated and if they wish to activate any or simply move the modem to another location in the house, it will cost them additional $65. How about you add that to the terms and conditions Mr. Jonathan?

I am extremely disappointed right now at TSI.

Sigh....I can't even run cat5e upstairs. It's just impossible or will take too much effort for something that's not going to look good anyways.