Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

Valve Linux Blog - Beta Late Than Never

Things have been going well. We will be having an internal beta starting next week, and a private external beta for 1,000 users sometime in October.

The private external beta will include:

Steam
One Valve game
Support for Ubuntu 12.04 and above

It will not yet include:

Big Picture mode
Additional Valve games

For existing Linux users, the external private beta is a good release for seeing where we are in running our games on Linux. We will be using a sign up page for the external beta. Information about the sign up will be announced in a future post.

For those new to Linux, we recommend waiting for a subsequent release where more features are implemented along with improvements to the user install experience.
»blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/be···never-3/
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

cpsycho

join:2008-06-03
HarperLand

I figure in one year I will be switching to Linux for good. Gives other developers the chance to port some of their games. I hope I can log in and re download the ported games I already own.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to rexbinary

I wonder by what they mean by support for Ubuntu 12.04. I hope it own't be too difficult to get working on other flavors of Linux.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Maxo:

I wonder by what they mean by support for Ubuntu 12.04. I hope it own't be too difficult to get working on other flavors of Linux.

From what I understand they are just initially focusing on Ubuntu right now, and will support other distros later as they learn more about supporting Linux.
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to rexbinary

More good news... how do we get on the Beta? Or on the beta list, I'm not all that hopeful I'd get on the 1000 person beta this late in the game.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rexbinary

More news here:

»thenextweb.com/insider/2012/09/2···october/

Also confirms that sign ups are not yet open for the October Beta.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Maxo

I bet even now it will run under other flavors, However odds are they are at least during beta only supporting that version of Ubuntu.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

said by Kearnstd:

I bet even now it will run under other flavors, However odds are they are at least during beta only supporting that version of Ubuntu.

It'll run under any Linux, it's just not packaged to play nice. Sym links, environment changes, libraries, kernel modes, etc. will get any "for Linux" executive to run under any flavor.

Once it is released, it will be hacked up and passed-out to other distros without Valve support. I know Gentoo and Arch will be on this very quickly.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by markofmayhem:

It'll run under any Linux, it's just not packaged to play nice. Sym links, environment changes, libraries, kernel modes, etc. will get any "for Linux" executive to run under any flavor.

Should be a snap to get it to run under most Debian-like distros even without much hacking.
--

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

said by El Quintron:

said by markofmayhem:

Should be a snap to get it to run under most Debian-like distros even without much hacking.

I was thinking the same, though Pulse may add a few missteps. The audio and video libraries/settings would need the most scrutiny.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by markofmayhem:

I was thinking the same, though Pulse may add a few missteps. The audio and video libraries/settings would need the most scrutiny.

Point taken...

Would they be able to specify ALSA or Pulse in their requirements?

(same with the video, but I don't know enough about it to know what to specify)
--

a1computers

join:2012-10-06
Pasadena, CA
reply to rexbinary

Awsome, becuase ms8 looks like a mythbuntu wanna-be, that I am not excited to see on any computer I own.