uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

[extensive] Any progress on moving BBR to a cloud based service

After the 2 week outage of BBR back in May, there was a lot of talk about BBR moving to a cloud based service like Amazon's S3. Has there been any decisions made yet on that plan? And if so, any progress made toward making it a reality?
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

tkisjunk

@quadranet.com

Re: [extensive] Any progress on moving BBR to a cloud based serv

said by FFH:

After the 2 week outage of BBR back in May, there was a lot of talk about BBR moving to a cloud based service like Amazon's S3. Has there been any decisions made yet on that plan? And if so, any progress made toward making it a reality?

Why should this be a request? It should be something that is transparent to the end user.
And just in terms of accuracy (not one of your strong points), the complete outage ended May 3rd, when most functionality was restored. It started around mid April.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to FFH

All BBR needed/needs are multiple off-site backups that are kept up to date.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
reply to FFH

Clouds fix everything, don't you know.

Moving to NAC's non-ghetto facility (ie: Cedar Knolls rather than Octagon) would likely fix things too. If NAC isn't going to properly maintain that site, they should just shut it down.
--
with every mistake we must surely be learning

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

said by sporkme:

Clouds fix everything, don't you know.

Well relating to NAC's power problems it does help.

said by sporkme:

Moving to NAC's non-ghetto facility (ie: Cedar Knolls rather than Octagon) would likely fix things too. If NAC isn't going to properly maintain that site, they should just shut it down.

The power outage a few days ago (though the effect was more mild this time) just further emphasizes that point. Two significant power events in only a few months is a bit much.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

1 recommendation

I moved all my employer's servers to a cloud-based provider some time ago. It was one of the best things I ever did. Now all our stuff is running on hardware I would never have the budget for, with uptime to match. I wouldn't go so far as to say that clouds fix everything, but I certainly like not having to deal with hardware any more.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to FFH

What IS cloud service/storage? I realize it is a catch phrase term, but exactly what things are clouds? Does it mean having storage all over the world or something?

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

1 recommendation

I see the phrase used most often to mean outsourcing of computer resources. In my case, instead of owning physical hardware, I rent infrastructure and use it over the internet.

As with many things, the aggregation makes it profitable. It wouldn't be practical for me to own a setup with redundant hot swappable everything, but my service provider which probably has hundreds or thousands of clients my size can do it.

The Wikipedia article describes it in more detail.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to signmeuptoo

said by signmeuptoo:

What IS cloud service/storage? I realize it is a catch phrase term, but exactly what things are clouds? Does it mean having storage all over the world or something?

It's just abstracting the out the physical CPUs and storage. Instead of referring to a real computer or disk, you are referring to a virtual one. The real hardware behind could be anywhere or change at any time, and the end user never knows.