spc
uniqs
thurst0n
join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

thurst0n to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88

Re: [IA] Mediacom Customer Service = Oxymoron

I never saw his van. So I'm not sure if he was a contractor or not. Frankly that isn't my problem it's mediacoms. It's mediacoms responsibility to make sure the tech knows what's going on and how to fix it whether he is a contractor or a full employee.

Obviously a good tech, like you've described yourself to be, will probe deeper to get to the bottom of issues. And that's what a good company will do, take the extra time to do it right, because why would you want to fix the same issue twice at your own expense? This is like day one business school stuff.

Why would you 'hate' to tell me something that is the truth? I have no idea what the truth is, but I believe that you think you are telling me the truth.

The man on the phone tonight told me that the issue described would dictate the length of the call scheduled. The length of the call scheduled will directly effect availability time. Just like at a restaurant there are more options for a table of 2 than a table of 4. Well there are more slots for 30 minutes than 60 minutes or 120 minutes whatever the slots you allocate may be. His logic was entirely sound when he said that certain phone support reps will avoid confronting the customer with things the customer doesn't want to hear ie it will take 2 weeks to get this looked at. I'm wondering what incentive he had to explain this in this way to me. Perhaps he was trying to play 'good guy' to appease me..

If he should always check my wiring then what reason did he not? I know he did megapath speed test, and I believe he opened up the router page to look at the signal, but he didnt actually test the line itself, or check for splitters in the house etc. After I figured out his mission (replacing my modem) it became pretty clear to me that that was his only purpose from the beginning.

Would the logs show if he checked my wires?

PS. What if the customer requests that you remove your shoes? Do you refuse? Don't you have to go outside sometimes to test lines, isn't it sometimes rainy, or snowy, or muddy, and don't you then sometimes track mud, water, dirt, through your clients home? Do you then also put in a request for mediacom to clean the carpets afterwards? This all goes back to culture, mediacom would rather avoid paying workers compensation because of a 1-off scenario, than extend a common courtesy to their customers?

If you ever try to come in my home and don't take your shoes off, I will not let you in my home, I will ask you to leave, if you don't I will call the police. I will then insist on a refund from mediacom for the time I missed from work and the time that my internet service is not working. This is bordering on ridiculous now.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

multiband has there tech use disposible booties.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to thurst0n

Anon

to thurst0n
Mediacom also has the booties. And actually it is an OSHA requirement that you do not remove your boots/shoes inside at a work site which the customer home is part of.

Quite frankly the whole way you described this has turned me off. You judged the installer / contractor / tech before he even walked in the door. Your description of him leaves no question you feel you are better than him. It is no wonder that no one has worked your issue.

Quite frankly, if I was the tech assigned to your ticket I'd tell you that if you know so much about the problem, fix it yourself.

Customers like you are why techs get burnt out and quit caring.
Expand your moderator at work
thurst0n
join:2011-06-19
Johnston, IA

thurst0n to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy

If you think I'm so knowledgeable about hte problem you're wrong. The only things I've stated in this thread about the problem are easily identifiable by anyone ie my internet isn't working. Or was told to me explicitly and specifically by someone who works for or represents mediacom. The guy I scheduled another appointment with last night was the one that told me they should have had more time to do the proper tests. The other tech in THIS THREAD is the one that told me they should test lines EVERYTIME. I dont purport myself to be smart when it comes to tech or networks or modems or routers or ISPs. I just go with what I'm told. If i'm being told something that's wrong that's my problem and I"ll deal with it when it comes back to bite me. In the mean time I expect people do do their job.
thurst0n

thurst0n to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy

said by OldCableGuy :

Mediacom also has the booties. And actually it is an OSHA requirement that you do not remove your boots/shoes inside at a work site which the customer home is part of.

Quite frankly the whole way you described this has turned me off. You judged the installer / contractor / tech before he even walked in the door. Your description of him leaves no question you feel you are better than him. It is no wonder that no one has worked your issue.

Quite frankly, if I was the tech assigned to your ticket I'd tell you that if you know so much about the problem, fix it yourself.

So the tech chose to go against osha then? I'm not sure what your point is. I feel like you didnt even read my posts.

I definately judged the tech before he walked in my door. It's called a first impression. He didn't look professional at all. I didn't tell him this or treat him any differently, it was an internal thing that I've only brought up now for context because he literally did nothing.

I did not act like a smartass to him at all. I asked if he knew what the issues were I was having, and explained to him the best I could. Internet cuts out randomly sometimes the modem resets, sometimes it doesn't.

Everytime someones posts they seem to say things the tech did wrong, then tell me that I'm in the wrong for the way I treated him. I treated him like a human.

I do feel that I'm better at my job than he is at his job. But I do not in any way think I'm close to his level in terms of knowledge regarding modems and networking. I do however know how to plug in a modem, and connect an ethernet cable to my router and then to my computer. That I know how to do. I could probably also do the line tests if I had the equipment.

Customers like me are how techs get burned out? Please tell me exactly how I treated the tech that turned him off so much.. Also please tell me why I'm not supposed to be upset when I'm the one getting jerked around by mediacom. Why do I need to have another tech out to my house? Oh that's right the first tech didn't do his job, if he did his job, then the person on the phone who scheduled the thing didn't do their job. It's not my job to know what the problem is. I did my job which is paying the bill and telling mediacom when serviec is out.

Quite frankly I don't care if you're turned off. I haven't done anything wrong. If you don't agree with me that's fine, but I never treated anyone in any bad way. The worst words I had were me ranting to MediacomChad when I was in the moment and upset. He handled it wonderfully.

You need to really read what I"m saying instead of making assumptions and putting words or actions in my mouth.

Do you not make an impression of someone when you first see them? Would you not think it's relevant that someone looks unprofessional and doesn't even attempt to talk to you when that's their job to figure out the problem and fix it?

If he knows the issue he should have fixed it or done proper tests. If he didn't know the issue then he needs to ask me.

I only brought up the shoes thing because that other tech did. I don't care if he takes his shoes off or not. It's good to know that he broke an osha rule though. Maybe I should report him.. you do make a very good point in that.

Of course I would have no problem if you put a bag over your shoes, but to simply refuse to take your shoes off with no other options would not fly in my house. I hope you are now more turned off than you were, because I'm getting turned on.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy

said by OldCableGuy :

Exactly. Thank you for this.

He's one of those customers that call in and wants a tech out now. Not when they can but now. Meaning he wants the tech to come out to his issue before other customers who called in first get their issues fix first. I've dealt with these customers before. They usually make threats about leaving to another ISP. Go to that ISP, have the same issue there, then come back.

It's just another case of idiot customer having a fit.

About your comment on the person no removing their shoes and you'd not let them in. That's your fault as we can see you have no compassion for the rules techs have to follow. As stated, it's an OSHA rule not to remove shoes. So instead of being a jerk about it you could be like " I want this done so I'll get some towels or a sheet." But hey you wanted to make it difficult. From reading all this it's evident you like to be difficult.

Also the phone queue isn't always full of people needing help. Often at least from my experience in the call center is that people are calling to ask questions or add services. Yes support issues come in but not as much as people think. Not every call is a trouble call. I remember once taking 100 calls and 80 were asking me questions about the home page and the antivirus. 5 were asking to add remove services.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

said by Pringlescan:

It's just another case of idiot customer having a fit.

That statement right there is why mediacom will always be rated last in customer service among cable companys. You guys just dont care and your statement there backs it up