spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

steveei

join:2012-07-17
reply to josh112112

Re: Rogers offering 80% for 2 years discount on internet...

Hey guys, I too did get 75% off my Ultimate package, but I called back a few days later to check if I did indeed have it on my account, and I DID NOT have it on my account, the lady told me the 70-80% only works from Extreme PLUS and below. That is BS. I clearly signed a verbal agreement on the phone that is 24 months of keeping my Internet and Cable with them for 75% off my Ultimate Internet package. She kept refusing, so I think you guys should actually check if you guys are actually getting the 70-80% off your internet if your getting the Ultimate package. Right now im paying the original cost of Ultimate 99.99/month, meanwhile when I called to cancel it she said I would be getting 75% off the Ultimate Internet package. I am talking to a manger tomorrow, because that is ridiculous.

sabio

join:2012-10-09
Newmarket, ON
reply to josh112112

I was wrong.

If you take the 20-20-20 deal. You DO NOT lose your Wireless Discount!

I keep my 15% off for Wireless. And I get an extra 5% off the other 3. Plus the Boxes and Modem free.

So really. Not bad .

StartIsForMe

join:2011-10-13
Mississauga, ON
reply to josh112112

Thanks for posting this info. I called asking for Custom Retention who transferred me to Customer Relations.

I was able to get $10 of my Rogers home phone bill and $20 off the Rogers Internet Extreme bill.

I was paying $130 a month and now $94 for 12 months (internet 6 months) taxes included.

I was told after 6 months to call back regarding renewing the Internet discount.

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to steveei

said by steveei:

Hey guys, I too did get 75% off my Ultimate package, but I called back a few days later to check if I did indeed have it on my account, and I DID NOT have it on my account, the lady told me the 70-80% only works from Extreme PLUS and below. That is BS. I clearly signed a verbal agreement on the phone that is 24 months of keeping my Internet and Cable with them for 75% off my Ultimate Internet package. She kept refusing, so I think you guys should actually check if you guys are actually getting the 70-80% off your internet if your getting the Ultimate package. Right now im paying the original cost of Ultimate 99.99/month, meanwhile when I called to cancel it she said I would be getting 75% off the Ultimate Internet package. I am talking to a manger tomorrow, because that is ridiculous.

I'd definitely call back and double check that. I'm getting 70% off Ultimate, and have been for several billing cycles so can say for certain this is the case.

Ree

h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to StartIsForMe

said by StartIsForMe:

I was told after 6 months to call back regarding renewing the Internet discount.

Are you on a 1 year contract that has a 6 months discount? If so I was told the same thing by one agent, and after calling back to confirm because it sounded like BS, was told by another agent that they will absolutely NOT renew the discount for the remainder of the contract.

He even pointed out they have no incentive for doing so. You either pay the full price for the rest of the contract, or you leave but pay a nice penalty...it's win win for them.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to sabio

I don't understand why a lot of folks on here take the word of a Rogers CSR like it's bible truth. It's been proven time after time that CSRs ,for the most part, don't have a clue what they're talking about.

We know Rogers sole purpose is to get the customer's business at any cost. We know they will lie, cheat and go to any length to deceive us.

Are we that desperate? Wake up people. They're just telling you what they think you want to hear.

Rogers is not in the business of giving away free services. If they're giving you a big discount it's because you're paying way to much monthly for what you're getting from Rogers anyway. Think about it, $100/month plus for TV channels and an internet connection? Laughable. Only it's Rogers that's laughing.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by elitefx:

We know Rogers sole purpose is to get the customer's business at any cost. We know they will lie, cheat and go to any length to deceive us.

Making outright libels’ statements is VERY foolish. Since you feel so strongly about Rogers business practices hire a lawyer and take them to court.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

4 edits

said by mozerd:

Making outright libels’ statements is VERY foolish. Since you feel so strongly about Rogers business practices hire a lawyer and take them to court.

well Mr. mozerd, it would seem the Government of Canada by way of the Competition Bureau strongly disagrees with your position. I merely reiterate facts as presented to me by newspaper accounts and various posts and links in this forum.

In 2010:

“Consumers deserve accurate information when making purchasing decisions and need to have confidence they are not being misled by false advertising campaigns,” said Melanie Aitken, Commissioner of Competition after the Competition Bureau determined that advertising for Rogers' Chatr was "misleading."

And in 2012:

»www.thestar.com/business/compani···ers?bn=1

»business.financialpost.com/2012/···ervices/

»www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/···498.html

ultron

join:2012-09-23
Pointe-A-La-Croix, QC
reply to josh112112

Does the discount apply to usage overcharges aswell?

Ree

h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by ultron:

Based on the one bill with overages that I have received, no it does not apply.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to mozerd

said by mozerd:

said by elitefx:

I have plenty of PMs and other statements proving they deliberately lied to me, and lied to others.

Not like anyone high up at Rogers gives a damn about their employees' lies. I even brought it up in my CRTC complaint how they blatantly lied to me, and provided the proof.. Nobody gives a damn.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

ultron

join:2012-09-23
Pointe-A-La-Croix, QC
reply to Ree

said by Ree:

said by ultron:

Based on the one bill with overages that I have received, no it does not apply.

Unfortunate. I'm at about 250GB/month usage right now with 15Mb VDSL according to my router (tomato firmware) so I'd be constantly worrying about going over the limit.
Anyone know how accurate Roger's bandwidth tracker is? My usenet provider seems to consistently record bandwidth used at about 40% less than I'm actually using.

abitbent

join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON
Reviews:
·magicjack.com
·Start Communicat..
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to bt

said by bt:

said by sabio:

If you have $48 a month Express Internet now, it will still be $48 in 2 years.

Most of your post sounded right, but this is flat out wrong. You'll get hit with whatever price increases happen over the 2 years, it's your $ or % discount that will remain the same. Rogers won't lock in an actual price for cable service.

So has anyone challenged Rogers on the whole "Since you've increased my rate, the terms of the contract are now null and void" thing?

I've read that some have had some success with this but I'm wondering if this is still true.

My feeling is change is near. I think there's going to be a huge wakeup call to these overcharging incumbents and I don't want to be locked into Rogers for 2 years.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by abitbent:

said by bt:

said by sabio:

If you have $48 a month Express Internet now, it will still be $48 in 2 years.

Most of your post sounded right, but this is flat out wrong. You'll get hit with whatever price increases happen over the 2 years, it's your $ or % discount that will remain the same. Rogers won't lock in an actual price for cable service.

So has anyone challenged Rogers on the whole "Since you've increased my rate, the terms of the contract are now null and void" thing?

I've read that some have had some success with this but I'm wondering if this is still true.

My feeling is change is near. I think there's going to be a huge wakeup call to these overcharging incumbents and I don't want to be locked into Rogers for 2 years.

Good luck with that. You'll have to fight long and hard and most likely will not be successful. They will argue that they only agreed to lock in the discount percentage. On my most recent contract renewal, I was happy to hear that the rep was upfront about that without me even asking about it. Anyone who has any reservations about Rogers really should just pay full price to have the luxury to jump ship at anytime.

Ree

h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to abitbent

said by abitbent:

As yyzlhr mentioned, it won't succeed since contracts are based on percentage discounts, not on fixed prices*

So for example I get 70% off ultimate, resulting in a $30/mo charge. If Rogers wanted me to instead pay $50/mo, they have two options:

1) Change my discount to 50%
2) Change the pre-discount price to $166.66

If they do #1 it changes the terms of our contract (I "negotiated" for 70%, not 50%), and I can get out. If they do #2, the terms of our contract stay intact, and so I have no out.

The last time I heard about a big "get out of jail free" change happening was something to do with wireless plans -- I think in that case they were adding a completely new charge, not increasing an existing one, so that's the kind of thing you need to wait for.

*I've only ever heard of percentage based ones anyway. Even if there are dollar figure related ones, I'm sure they're probably in the form of "$70 off", not "we guarantee you'll pay no more than $30 for the next two years".

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
reply to sabio

said by sabio:

1: 80% off internet. Lose all other discounts on T.V and Home Phone

2: 60% T.V . Lose all other discounts on Internet and Home Phone

3: 20% off ALL. 1 Free PVR Box and 1 Free HD Box and 1 free Modem

That is some weird shit because I have none of those.
I have 70% off internet, 12% off Cable, 15% off home phone for 12 months and 12% Off wireless. No clue how I'm getting 12% off because I shouldn't be. 15% off home phone was a separate deal I got when I threatened to go VoIP. Honestly they have a million different deals going on all with different fine print.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

I believe the 12% would be your bundles discount. If you have no other discount on a particular service, you can still receive the bundles discount. For 4 services, the bundles discount was recently reduced from 15% to 12%.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON

said by Hooter:

I believe the 12% would be your bundles discount. If you have no other discount on a particular service, you can still receive the bundles discount. For 4 services, the bundles discount was recently reduced from 15% to 12%.

But I have 70% off internet which is suppose to get rid of all other discounts, isn't it?

dflenick

join:2012-10-20
Thornhill, ON
reply to josh112112

I would caution anyone choosing the long term contract. I recently upgraded to the Next Box 2 "deal" for a 2 year term to get the discounts and additional services.
I am very disappointed with the system overall. My remote box keeps losing connection to the main PVR. My main PVR has the following problems:
- Pixelated images from live TV
- Random freezing and loss of audio from live TV
- Recording schedules randomly disappearing

Rogers techs have tested equipment and connections and say all is fine. I already have a booster in place. Any TV's not on a digital box work fine, so at least they are partially right on the connection. I say partially because there still may be signal degradation or interference with the digital signal.

In any case, I'm stuck in a 2 year contract unless I find a legal way out under QoS or ToS, but that's unlikely for home services.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to technocar2

said by technocar2:

said by Hooter:

But I have 70% off internet which is suppose to get rid of all other discounts, isn't it?

Only on the Internet. We have had a deal where we get 30% off all TV and 25% off Internet. We lost the bundles discount on those services but continued to receive it on wireless and home phone.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to dflenick

said by dflenick:

In any case, I'm stuck in a 2 year contract unless I find a legal way out under QoS or ToS, but that's unlikely for home services.

Services such as cable and Internet are not like wireless. You are not locked into a contract, even though you are receiving the discounts for 2 years. You can cancel any time as long as you pay back the value of the discounts that you have received since the "contract" took effect. Obviously, the longer you have been in the "contract", the more you would have to pay back. But if you were to cancel within the first month or 2, the amount would not be that much!

Ree

h0h0h0
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Hooter:

Services such as cable and Internet are not like wireless. You are not locked into a contract, even though you are receiving the discounts for 2 years. You can cancel any time as long as you pay back the value of the discounts that you have received since the "contract" took effect. Obviously, the longer you have been in the "contract", the more you would have to pay back. But if you were to cancel within the first month or 2, the amount would not be that much!

I don't think that's correct. Here's how I understand the early cancellation of tv/internet/home phone to work:

An Early Cancellation Fee (ECF) applies if, for any reason, your Service is terminated prior to the end of the Service Agreement Term. Unless otherwise indicated, the ECF is $20 per month remaining in the Service Agreement Term, to a maximum of $200 (plus applicable taxes) for a 1 year term commitment, a maximum of $400 (plus applicaable taxes) for a 2 year term commitment, or a maximum of $600 (plus applicable taxes) for a 3 year term commitment, and applies to each Service that is terminated. Rogers may allow for the cancellation of your Service without any ECF if cancellation is requested within 30 days from date of activation.

The only company I've heard of following your cancellation policy is Acanac. (Which has the hilarious side-effect of having a "point of no cancel", where it's actually cheaper to continue with a service that you don't want than it is to cancel!)

Hooter

Scarborough, ON

You could be correct. I am only going by what I have been told by CSRs over the phone when I have been given a promotional discount. But obviously, whenever you are dealing with Rogers, the CSRs often tell you the wrong information. The ECF that you are describing though sounds more like what has been explained to me for a wireless plan.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

The ECF is generally $20 per remaining month for residential services. However, if the customer disagrees with the ECF, reps are allowed to charge the the discount received instead if it is lower then the $20 per remaining month model.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
reply to dflenick

said by dflenick:

If you're within 30 days of the start, you may be able to cancel outright without issue.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to josh112112

How did you get this deal? When i called to cancel my TV and Internet they said we can give you 20% off of both and that was it. I said no I'll cancel and then they were going to start the cancellation. They called me on my bluff, lol

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON

said by afterburn999:

How did you get this deal? When i called to cancel my TV and Internet they said we can give you 20% off of both and that was it. I said no I'll cancel and then they were going to start the cancellation. They called me on my bluff, lol

You can say that your friend has this promotion and you want to know how you can get it or you'll cancel.

Also depending on which tier you have 20% off both service might be better. The 20% off deals usually include free TV and Internet equipment. With the 70-80% off deals you have to pay for TV at FULL PRICE for two years and you have to pay for all the equipment rentals for both tv and internet.

jayzen25

join:2012-10-22
Scarborough, ON
reply to afterburn999

To get the 80% you have to have Internet,Cable,Home phone.

I wanted to cancel my home phone as my contract is up. But it ends up only costing $6 more if I keep the Phone and get 80% off extreme plus (they don't offer this discount on Ultimate, asked twice.)

Ended up with Vip cable (1hd box, 2 sd boxes) regular price
Extreme plus - 80% off
home phone - reg. price

total with taxes $173/month - $40 more per month than our previous promotion, oh well.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON

Damn I only have TV, Internet and Wireless. They did offer me a 300GB cap on my Extreme connection compared to the 95GB cap i have now.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to yyzlhr

You're right. We have Express Internet and we actually got 25% off Cable (VIP with TMN), Internet and Home Phone with free PVR and Modem. It is definitely better than 80% off Internet but paying full price for the rest!