how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to dflenick

Re: Rogers offering 80% for 2 years discount on internet...

said by dflenick:

In any case, I'm stuck in a 2 year contract unless I find a legal way out under QoS or ToS, but that's unlikely for home services.

Services such as cable and Internet are not like wireless. You are not locked into a contract, even though you are receiving the discounts for 2 years. You can cancel any time as long as you pay back the value of the discounts that you have received since the "contract" took effect. Obviously, the longer you have been in the "contract", the more you would have to pay back. But if you were to cancel within the first month or 2, the amount would not be that much!

Ree

join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by Hooter:

Services such as cable and Internet are not like wireless. You are not locked into a contract, even though you are receiving the discounts for 2 years. You can cancel any time as long as you pay back the value of the discounts that you have received since the "contract" took effect. Obviously, the longer you have been in the "contract", the more you would have to pay back. But if you were to cancel within the first month or 2, the amount would not be that much!

I don't think that's correct. Here's how I understand the early cancellation of tv/internet/home phone to work:

An Early Cancellation Fee (ECF) applies if, for any reason, your Service is terminated prior to the end of the Service Agreement Term. Unless otherwise indicated, the ECF is $20 per month remaining in the Service Agreement Term, to a maximum of $200 (plus applicable taxes) for a 1 year term commitment, a maximum of $400 (plus applicaable taxes) for a 2 year term commitment, or a maximum of $600 (plus applicable taxes) for a 3 year term commitment, and applies to each Service that is terminated. Rogers may allow for the cancellation of your Service without any ECF if cancellation is requested within 30 days from date of activation.

The only company I've heard of following your cancellation policy is Acanac. (Which has the hilarious side-effect of having a "point of no cancel", where it's actually cheaper to continue with a service that you don't want than it is to cancel!)

Hooter

Scarborough, ON

You could be correct. I am only going by what I have been told by CSRs over the phone when I have been given a promotional discount. But obviously, whenever you are dealing with Rogers, the CSRs often tell you the wrong information. The ECF that you are describing though sounds more like what has been explained to me for a wireless plan.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

The ECF is generally $20 per remaining month for residential services. However, if the customer disagrees with the ECF, reps are allowed to charge the the discount received instead if it is lower then the $20 per remaining month model.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to dflenick

said by dflenick:

In any case, I'm stuck in a 2 year contract unless I find a legal way out under QoS or ToS, but that's unlikely for home services.

If you're within 30 days of the start, you may be able to cancel outright without issue.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON
reply to josh112112

How did you get this deal? When i called to cancel my TV and Internet they said we can give you 20% off of both and that was it. I said no I'll cancel and then they were going to start the cancellation. They called me on my bluff, lol

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by afterburn999:

How did you get this deal? When i called to cancel my TV and Internet they said we can give you 20% off of both and that was it. I said no I'll cancel and then they were going to start the cancellation. They called me on my bluff, lol

You can say that your friend has this promotion and you want to know how you can get it or you'll cancel.

Also depending on which tier you have 20% off both service might be better. The 20% off deals usually include free TV and Internet equipment. With the 70-80% off deals you have to pay for TV at FULL PRICE for two years and you have to pay for all the equipment rentals for both tv and internet.

jayzen25

join:2012-10-22
Scarborough, ON
reply to afterburn999

To get the 80% you have to have Internet,Cable,Home phone.

I wanted to cancel my home phone as my contract is up. But it ends up only costing $6 more if I keep the Phone and get 80% off extreme plus (they don't offer this discount on Ultimate, asked twice.)

Ended up with Vip cable (1hd box, 2 sd boxes) regular price
Extreme plus - 80% off
home phone - reg. price

total with taxes $173/month - $40 more per month than our previous promotion, oh well.

afterburn999

join:2010-09-12
Scarborough, ON

Damn I only have TV, Internet and Wireless. They did offer me a 300GB cap on my Extreme connection compared to the 95GB cap i have now.

Hooter

Scarborough, ON
reply to yyzlhr

You're right. We have Express Internet and we actually got 25% off Cable (VIP with TMN), Internet and Home Phone with free PVR and Modem. It is definitely better than 80% off Internet but paying full price for the rest!

Sanek

join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON
reply to josh112112

Are these deals still going on? What if I only have an Internet/Digital Cable bundle?

I currently have Digital Cable with 1x HD PVR box, 1x HD Box and grandfathered $15 off bundle with Extreme Internet (still DOCSIS2).

I use my Teksavvy connection for my main Internet and only use the Rogers one as backup and mostly to get them to resolve problems quickly (since usually any problems apply to both).

Granted - not the best deal in the land. Curious what I can get out from them though...

I was about to cancel the Rogers Internet connection as Teksavvy has been pretty stable for quite a while now, so I'm not as scared to switch over to them completely anymore.

jayzen25

join:2012-10-22
Scarborough, ON

I think the best you can get for Internet and cable bundle is 20% off and maybe free equipment. (prob just 20%)

they seem to only offer the good deals with cable/tv/phone

unless teksavvy is giving you problems. I'd just keep the cable tv.

technocar2

join:2009-05-29
Brampton, ON
kudos:2
reply to Sanek

I'm guessing you are satisfied with TSI's 1 mbps upload, therefore, you should just cancel rogers internet.

One the other hand you can get 70% off with rogers ultimate internet giving you 10 mbps upload. With 300GB usage your internet bill comes out to $57.10 and no discount on cable (cable is regular price). Unlimited with rogers ultimate will cost $132.10 again cable will be normal price. Internet price includes modem rental.

sabio

join:2012-10-09
Newmarket, ON
reply to afterburn999

I talked to a CSR....I asked about '2 year' promos.
She said she would put me through to Customer Retention.

I asked them about the '2 year promos', and they stated the deals I have mentioned.

1: 80% off internet. Lose all other discounts on T.V and Home Phone

2: 60% T.V . Lose all other discounts on Internet and Home Phone

3: 20% off ALL. 1 Free PVR Box and 1 Free HD Box and 1 free Modem

No tricks. No arguing. They gave me choices. and I picked one.

When I get my newest invoice that reflects the changes I will psot the savings i am getting.

Might be a few more weeks... stay tuned