how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO

SATA speed on Motherboard?

Ok, so I got my new SSD (120GB)and imaged my old SSD (30GB)onto it after installing Win7 to get back up and running.

My question is though, can you have 2 different speeds on your SATA connection?

My new SSD is 6GB/sec and the backup drive I have installed (1TB for storage) is only SATA 2 (3GB/sec). Right now I have it set to auto for SATA speed, but it feels sluggish after having just installed Win 7 before I reconnected my storage drive. It seems like before I connected storage it WAS running at 6GB, but now its not. So does it throttle down to lowest common denominator? Cause that would suck.

And yes, before anyone asks, I DID use AHCI when installing Win7 in BIOS. LOL!

TL:DR can you have BIOS use 2 different speeds for SATA connection?

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
SATA isn’t like EIDE in this respect. One SATA drive shouldn’t effect another SATA drive even if they are on the same controller.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to StubbyinKCMO
They are independent of each other.

One of two things is happening:

1. Your imaging of the 30GB SSD brought over some windows configuration files which slowed down the new one. You should really clean install Windows in this situation.

2. Placebo effect.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to StubbyinKCMO
Like Gordo said, it's always a good idea to do a real install onto a new SSD vs copying an image onto it.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to StubbyinKCMO
There can also be alignment issues when copying an OS over to an SSD or installing it directly. This will slowdown an SSD somewhat. However, this cannot be triggered by installing a HDD in addition to the SSD. This is usually due to the use of an older non-SSD aware OS like XP (even in a fresh install) or the imaging software has issues with proper alignment on SSDs.

StubbyinKCMO

join:2008-11-15
Kansas City, MO
reply to StubbyinKCMO
Thanks to everyone for the quick reply.

I did do a clean install of windows but when I copied the image over it only saw 30GB of space even though it was on 120GB SSD. So I reformatted it and reinstalled Win7 then moved image again. [u]Seemed[/u] to work, but just wasnt as fast. Thats what started me to wonder if I borked something in the move.

Image was stored on HDD and was disconnected from mobo during Win7 install of SSD. Then reconnect and move image over.

So yes, it could have been placebo, but sure seemed like I was messing something up by moving instead of just starting from scratch and rebuilding shortcuts to files on my backup.

So crap. Guess I gotta reformat and start over again. Thanks again all.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to StubbyinKCMO
Some imaging software will create the new image partition at exactly the same size as the old image. Probably too late now, but you should be able to go into disk manager and just extend the 30 GB partition to use the rest of the drive.