spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI

[RI] Anybody notice slightly higher speeds today?

I'm on Ultimate and usually get +/- 55/10

Now, seeing +/- 65/20

Latency about the same, using dpc 3010,8x4

Its early, so, maybe just early AM speeds

codydog

Newport, RI

Now getting 35/20, somethings up, but still less than verizon's service.

anyone seeing anything else?

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

Which router do you have? Might also want to try without the router and see what happens.

codydog

Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

router is linksys e4200, pc is win7, fully updated. Usually get mid40s/50 during the day, but speeds lately have been all over the place. Had a service call yesterday as well.

just got a 30/20 speed test to boston, ping a touch higher than usual.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Try it from a PC with gigabit Ethernet and no router and see what happens.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Yeah the higher upload speeds isn't real. Also are you testing on different speedtest servers? I do know on ultimate here, the upload speeds stay pretty steady at 5/5.5mbps max. However I do remember a while back when I did have download speed problems, oddly my upload would just up higher on speedtest results.

codydog

Newport, RI
reply to CoxTech1

this pc has gigabit ethernet and I cant run without the router, but, e4200 has good throughput.

speed test now - 43/20 and a few minutes later, 65/17

what are you expecting my speeds to be?

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

Some of the stuff I'm reading about that router suggest it won't be able to keep up except under certain circumstances.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by CoxTech1:

Some of the stuff I'm reading about that router suggest it won't be able to keep up except under certain circumstances.

Well I did own one, at one point, and never had any issue with it providing my ultimate speeds. However I now use a more beastly Asus RT-N66U router, and it just does it job without any problems.

codydog

Newport, RI
reply to CoxTech1

ok, so, do I upgrade to e6500? or another router?

and can you please say exactly what you think the e4200 cant handle?

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

I read a few things on the Internet that suggested at least for wireless that you would need to use the 5Ghz band to get the most out of your connection. I'd say try wired Ethernet without it first to see what happens.

codydog

Newport, RI

this pc is running wired to the router, which is about a foot away.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to CoxTech1

said by CoxTech1:

I read a few things on the Internet that suggested at least for wireless that you would need to use the 5Ghz band to get the most out of your connection. I'd say try wired Ethernet without it first to see what happens.

Well its really not smart to expect them kind of speeds wirelessly over 2Ghz band anyways. If you want fast speeds over wireless, it would only be smart to use the better 5Ghz band. But the biggest downfall is the range of the 5Ghz band is not that great.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
reply to codydog

The router has to disassemble and reassemble the packets for NAT anyways which will affect performance.

codydog

Newport, RI

And please advise exact percent that the process slows data transmission

Thanks

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

For that you'd have to ask the router manufacturer. That would be determined by the capabilities of the router. Things such as CPU and RAM for example would be factors.

codydog

Newport, RI

I asked you because you made the claim.

The manufacturer specs indicate a capability of higher throughput.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

I just read something on the Internet where it was said you can get about 150Mbps on the 5Ghz network and somewhere in the 70-80Mbps range on 2.4Ghz. Usually the CPUs in routers are designed with achieving wireless expectations in mind and not much more. I wasn't able to find the manufacturer's specifications beyond simply indicating what ports were offered and their speeds which usually aren't achievable.

codydog

Newport, RI

so, you dont think the e4200 can achieve, on a wired basis, throughput in in the low 100Mbps either on a wan-lan or lan-wan basis?

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA

I couldn't find anything which is why I suggested trying without to see what happens.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to codydog

Everything you ever wanted to know about the e4200.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

E4200
Throughput - (Mbps)

WAN - LAN

LAN - WAN

Total Simultaneous

Maximum Simultaneous Connections

Yes you're seeing a bump in speed.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to codydog

said by codydog:

powerboost poisoning. be happy as long as you're getting speeds you're paying for.
--
Despises any post with strings.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dvd536:

said by codydog:

powerboost poisoning. be happy as long as you're getting speeds you're paying for.

I am sure some of its powerboost, but if you read odog See Profile last reply. There seems to be a bump in speed for him in his market.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

said by lilstone87:

said by dvd536:

said by codydog:

I am sure some of its powerboost, but if you read odog See Profile last reply. There seems to be a bump in speed for him in his market.

Powerboost is just to make the customers feel all warm and fuzzy when they run a speedtest. But really after that its all the same old speeds. Kinda dumb if you ask me, you don't notice really unless you are running a speedtest. Maybe if you uploaded a lot of small files in separate batches. But I can't think of anything these days that's small and you upload.

Kinda like the peeps putting $5000 rims and tires on old '82 Delta 88. It's still the same car no matter what bling you put on it.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well I hate the powerboost feature myself, but again the changes he was asking about don't seem all about just powerboost kicking in. As odog See Profile made a point to say, he's seeing a bump in speed, and not just powerboost. Also as anyone who has ultimate threw cox, ultimate doesn't really carry much powerboost, and only some on the downstream. As I see powerboost max of 60-62mbps on the downstream, and upload only powerboost to 5.5mbps(5mbps is non powerboost).

Also if I remember correctly, a little while back his area moved ultimate to 8mbps on the upload, and its possible it may have been bumped again. It's not something I can comment on, only odog See Profile could as he was the one to say there was a bump in speed for him.

codydog

Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to codydog

well, looks like Cox continues to upgrade. After checking my modem signal levels, and noticing some improvements, I did a few speed tests and am now seeing download speeds in the mid-90s to very low 100s and upload between 20-30. Ping is slightly lower as well.

So, happy about that, still not sure why CoxTech would backhand the linksys router yesterday though.

andrewlef

join:2012-03-30
Providence, RI
reply to codydog

Same here. I'm on ultimate and usually get 60/10. Now, it's almost double that. It's no speed test fluke either. I've verified the speeds by downloading/uploading several very large files to a 1gbit private server.

hotwasabi

join:2008-06-15
Westerville, OH

That speed is SICKENING! I hope we get that in the Cleveland area soon as I have Ultimate but here's my speedtest

eric890113

join:2012-09-24

This is awesome! I'm sure those of us in Las Vegas can expect these increases in 2-3 years!

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

my thoughts exactly since we have century stink their is a good chance we wont get any upgrades for a while but it is still possible that in next few months it could happen

i am like 75 percent that it will not happen
and 25 percent that it will happen