odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:10

1 edit
reply to codydog

Re: [RI] Anybody notice slightly higher speeds today?

Everything you ever wanted to know about the e4200.

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

E4200
Throughput - (Mbps)

WAN - LAN

LAN - WAN

Total Simultaneous

Maximum Simultaneous Connections

Yes you're seeing a bump in speed.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to codydog

said by codydog:

Now getting 35/20, somethings up, but still less than verizon's service.

anyone seeing anything else?

powerboost poisoning. be happy as long as you're getting speeds you're paying for.
--
Despises any post with strings.

lilstone87

join:2009-04-09
Portsmouth, VA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by dvd536:

said by codydog:

powerboost poisoning. be happy as long as you're getting speeds you're paying for.

I am sure some of its powerboost, but if you read odog See Profile last reply. There seems to be a bump in speed for him in his market.

digiblur
Premium
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

said by lilstone87:

said by dvd536:

said by codydog:

I am sure some of its powerboost, but if you read odog See Profile last reply. There seems to be a bump in speed for him in his market.

Powerboost is just to make the customers feel all warm and fuzzy when they run a speedtest. But really after that its all the same old speeds. Kinda dumb if you ask me, you don't notice really unless you are running a speedtest. Maybe if you uploaded a lot of small files in separate batches. But I can't think of anything these days that's small and you upload.

Kinda like the peeps putting $5000 rims and tires on old '82 Delta 88. It's still the same car no matter what bling you put on it.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Well I hate the powerboost feature myself, but again the changes he was asking about don't seem all about just powerboost kicking in. As odog See Profile made a point to say, he's seeing a bump in speed, and not just powerboost. Also as anyone who has ultimate threw cox, ultimate doesn't really carry much powerboost, and only some on the downstream. As I see powerboost max of 60-62mbps on the downstream, and upload only powerboost to 5.5mbps(5mbps is non powerboost).

Also if I remember correctly, a little while back his area moved ultimate to 8mbps on the upload, and its possible it may have been bumped again. It's not something I can comment on, only odog See Profile could as he was the one to say there was a bump in speed for him.

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to codydog

well, looks like Cox continues to upgrade. After checking my modem signal levels, and noticing some improvements, I did a few speed tests and am now seeing download speeds in the mid-90s to very low 100s and upload between 20-30. Ping is slightly lower as well.

So, happy about that, still not sure why CoxTech would backhand the linksys router yesterday though.

andrewlef

join:2012-03-30
Providence, RI
reply to codydog

Same here. I'm on ultimate and usually get 60/10. Now, it's almost double that. It's no speed test fluke either. I've verified the speeds by downloading/uploading several very large files to a 1gbit private server.

hotwasabi

join:2008-06-15
Westerville, OH

That speed is SICKENING! I hope we get that in the Cleveland area soon as I have Ultimate but here's my speedtest

eric89011

join:2012-09-24

This is awesome! I'm sure those of us in Las Vegas can expect these increases in 2-3 years!

bryant313

join:2011-05-24
Las Vegas, NV

my thoughts exactly since we have century stink their is a good chance we wont get any upgrades for a while but it is still possible that in next few months it could happen

i am like 75 percent that it will not happen
and 25 percent that it will happen

chip89

join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH
reply to codydog

I'm to on ultimate In the Cleveland area here I'm getting the speeds I usually get so no speed increase here.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by chip89:

I'm to on ultimate In the Cleveland area here I'm getting the speeds I usually get so no speed increase here.

Well from the looks of it, the cox RI market is first to see there speed increases on ultimate tier. I am sure other markets will follow, but if they intend to give ultimate 20-25mpbs up. This will be a slower process, as upstream bonding is required to even provide that kind of speed upstream. There will be more of these kind of thread's, when other cox markets start increasing speeds like this. I would expect cox to soon at least announce the ultimate speed increases for RI market. As this is a subject anyone from cox who helps out on here, won't comment on until then.

andrewlef

join:2012-03-30
Providence, RI

I assume an announcement of some sort is in the offing. For now, I suspect they're testing it out here informally to work out any potential kinks. I just hope they also either remove or drastically raise the transfer cap. We're a small market, we have very high population density and Cox was essentially a monopoly here until FiOS came around. Makes it easier and less expensive for them to give us new toys compared to other markets. We've had 8 downstream channel bonding for a few years. They came out with 4 upstream channel bonding about 12-18 months ago when they raised the upstream cap to 8mbps.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Click for full size
Cox RI market speed increases
Well we already know the RI cox market has bumped there ultimate tier customers to 100mbps down, and 20mbps up. But notice today, cox has finally taken the time to update there site, now showing the new speed's for the tiers they increased speeds on. Ultimate is 100/20, but probably more like 105/20 with overhead when they provision things. There Premier tier is now 36mbps down, and 10mbps. Also Preferred is 18mbps down, and 5mbps up. Here is a screenshot of these speed's for RI market, which I took a image shot off of cox's website.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

hopefully more markets will get these upgrades soon

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1

What about the CAPS?

-Rob

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

that was my next question too

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to bryant313

said by bryant313:

hopefully more markets will get these upgrades soon

Would be nice, but I don't know exactly how much cox is competing with Verizon FIOS in the RI market. I hope RI market is just a launching point for things to come for other market's. But cox has always been a company, who does change's market by market. Which means, if this is indeed a sign of speed increases to come for all markets. Don't expect the same level of speed offerings per tier as the ones RI just did.

I do think speed increases are much needed, as cox has been rather low key over the last year, or more on speed increases. Yes they have focused on adding more downstream channel's, and upstream bonding, to increase bandwidth capacity. So it would be stupid of cox imo, if they don't start increasing speeds. At least in the markets that are either pushing max downstream channels, or already at the 8 downstream channel max of the latest D3 modems, and have upstream channel bonding in place. Like my market has currently 7(most likely 8 soon) downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Upstream bonding has been in place for a good few months. So personally I would be rather disappointed, if cox in my market by the end of the 1st qtr of 2013, doesn't start adjusting speeds on there tiers here.

lilstone87

Portsmouth, VA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to Rob_

said by Rob_:

What about the CAPS?

-Rob

Well this is something cox will have to at least start to look at in the RI market. As cox has always manage bandwidth caps based on internet tier. So since the current ultimate tier 50/5 in all markets except RI has a 400gb cap, 60% cap increased from premier tier. So with RI's 100% downstream speed increase, and 150% upload speed on ultimate. I think a 750gb-1tb cap should be placed on this faster ultimate tier in the future. But if these changes are indeed to compete with FIOS in the RI market, It would be stupid for cox to even try enforce the current caps there.

bryant313

Las Vegas, NV

+1