dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Wifi Bridge Needed

I am in need of a Wifi bridge. Something that allows clients to connect and then simply patches them through to the network. No firewall, no DHCP, no IP address for the unit.

Everything I see has a router in it. Its hard to tell if the firewall/NAT can even be turned off. Today the term 'bridge' seems to have lost its meaning. Today it seems to mean something to connect two networks together over two wifi units. It used to mean something to connect one network technology to another without any other changes. Like going from Wifi/PPP/DSL to Ethernet.

All I need is wifi to ethernet. Also, I would like a promiscous mode that allows 1 wifi unit to see all wifi traffic but that is just a bonus.

Any, ideas on what to look at?
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

2 recommendations

What you want is an access point.

Most routers can be configured as an access point:

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

I don't know about 'most.' So far all of the routers I have were not able to be configured this way. My present router included.

Only way I got my present router to work was to turn off DHCP, assign IP address to wifi router statically. Then connect my main router to a LAN port on the wifi router instead of to the WAN port.

But my router has WAN and LAN ports. looking for something with only a WAN port that can also be used in this fashion. Want to know for certain before I purchase. Looking for brand recommendations.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

shdesigns