spc
Search similar:

uniqs
posthaste
join:2001-05-20
Champaign, IL

posthaste

Configuring ZyWall USG 200 for Comcast IPv6

Has anyone here had success configuring a USG series for Comcast IPv6?

I followed the User Guide for IPv6 Prefix Delegation (USG 200, FW 3.00 AQU.2), but couldn't get it to work.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Tech support Zyxel (800) 255-4101 ext 5. 8am-5pm California time. I am sure they are hot to trot to support IPV6 compatibility in the US.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to posthaste

Premium Member

to posthaste
said by posthaste:

...but couldn't get it to work.

I strongly suspect that we're going to hear that a lot about IPv6 over the next five years.

Please post back and let us know what you found.
posthaste
Champaign, IL

1 recommendation

posthaste

On hold now... tech didn't seem to be up to speed with IPv6 support. I think he's reading the User Guide while I'm waiting...

So far, on my own, I've tried Pure IPv6 and Prefix Delegation and both bombed out. Kind of depressing as I read a Comcast thread here where everyone is posting about how IPv6 is working with their cheap, consumer grade routers (e.g., D-Link, Netgear).
posthaste

posthaste

No bueno.

Waiting for a callback from ZyXel Tier 2 Support.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

1 recommendation

Anav

Premium Member

Good you got their attention. I suspected that a tier level one guy would not be able to handle IPV6. Its one thing to tout compatibility in a general sense, quite another to tackle the various implementations in all the gear being used.
dlloyd6
join:2011-04-05
El Cerrito, CA

dlloyd6 to posthaste

to posthaste
Hello,
I'm trying to get my USG 50 working with Comcast IPV6. Have you gotten any further with this?

Thanks.
posthaste
Champaign, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

posthaste

I've been going back and forth with ZyXEL Tier 2 Tech Support for two months and no solution yet. Their engineers overseas (Taiwan?) looked at the problem and reported back that they were able to get IPv6 to work with their ISPs.

Just to be clear, I'm trying to get ZyXEL's Pure IPv6 implementation to work with Comcast as described in the USG 200's User Guide (the instructions in the User Guides for Pure IPv6 and Prefix Delegation IPv6 are identical across USG line - 50/100/200/300, etc.).

So I've followed the instructions exactly as stated in the guide for Pure IPv6 and I also tried Prefix Delegation. Neither work. After configuring, the Xfinity IPv6 Readiness Test gives me a score of 0 out of 10.

»test-ipv6.comcast.net/

None of ZyXEL's people in California have Comcast as an ISP so they haven't been able to test the USG series to see if they can configure it to work with Comcast's IPv6. I was told they all have either Verizon FiOS, Time Warner, or AT&T U-Verse.

It should work, but the problem is a knowledge gap in trying to get it configured properly for Pure IPv6 (I'm not interested in nor do I care about 6-to-4 tunneling).

The good news is they, ZyXEL, are now in contact with a Comcast engineer and are sending them a USG to try to determine what settings need to be changed in order to get it to work. They'll let me know if they find a solution.

That's all I have for now.

I should post in the BBR Comcast Forum to see if anyone has been able to successfully get a USG to work with Comcast's IPv6. But I'm too tired at the moment and it's probably a long shot anyway.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I for one am disappointed to learn of your experience with IPv6 and specifically the 2 month gap. ZyXEL should be ashamed VERY ashamed.
dlloyd6
join:2011-04-05
El Cerrito, CA

dlloyd6 to posthaste

to posthaste
I was in contact with the Comcast Senior Network engineer last week via e-mail. Haven't heard anything back yet...

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by dlloyd6:

I was in contact with the Comcast Senior Network engineer last week via e-mail. Haven't heard anything back yet...

I have contacted ZyXEL but no one has called me back. Feel free to PM me and I will give you my contact info to forward on to them. Please open tickets with the vendor and send me the ticket numbers. I would like to get these issues resolved for everyone.
NetDog

1 edit

NetDog to posthaste

Premium Member

to posthaste
PS.. I will call them again today and see if I get anywhere.

UPDATE: I left my contact info.. Again..
NetDog

NetDog to posthaste

Premium Member

to posthaste
FYI.. Zyxel called me today and are shipping me a device for testing..
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

Well that certainly doesn't sound good for all the the "IPv6 compatible" USG routers out there already...

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by lorennerol:

said by NetDog:

Well that certainly doesn't sound good for all the the "IPv6 compatible" USG routers out there already...

:) There are alot of vendors that say they have v6 supported but really they dont have full support.
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

lorennerol

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by lorennerol:

said by NetDog:

:) There are alot of vendors that say they have v6 supported but really they dont have full support.

I'm getting very, very sick and tired of technology companies slappping lists of features that don't actually work on their boxes. Reprehensible.

IIRC, the Z5/35/70 were supposed to get PPTP support...
posthaste
Champaign, IL

posthaste to NetDog

to NetDog
Be sure to update to the lastest firmware, as you'll probably receive an older version.

»www.zyxel.com/us/en/prod ··· html?t=p

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

Code on the device is: 3.00(AQQ.3) / 1.13 / 2012-06-05 09:51:38

Emailing ZyXEL for a how-to guide.. This device has alot going on to say the least. Lots of very cool options..

I got IPv6 enabled on the WAN interface but I cant see where to enabled DHCPv6-PD for the LAN interface.
posthaste
Champaign, IL

1 edit

1 recommendation

posthaste

Click on the URL in my previous post. On the lower left margin, under Related Resources, you'll find links for firmware and Users' Guides.

The IPv6 configuration walk-throughs begin on page 45 of the User's Guide. An example setup for Prefix Delegation is on page 49.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

ZyXEL USA site to get the latest firmware

ftp.us.zyxel.com

In the Tree look for /ZYWALL_USG_200/firmware

The most up-to-date public firmware version for the USG200 is
ZYWALL USG 200_3.00(AQU.2)C0

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

Brano to NetDog

MVM

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

Code on the device is: 3.00(AQQ.3) / 1.13 / 2012-06-05 09:51:38

According to the firmware you have USG100 with AQQ.3 firmware which is newer than the published AQQ.2, no need to upgrade.

Get all your data from here: »ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ZYWALL_USG_100/
posthaste
Champaign, IL

posthaste to NetDog

to NetDog
Did ZyXEL send you a USG 100? It looks like it based on the "AQQ" firmware.

Anyway, you can still find everything you need on the ZyXEL support site or at the FTP. Thanks, mozerd.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

1 edit

Brano

MVM

Each model has specific firmware

USG20 BDQ
USG20W BDR
USG50 BDS
USG100 AQQ
USG200 AQU
USG300 AQE
USG1000 AQV

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to posthaste

Premium Member

to posthaste
said by posthaste:

Click on the URL in my previous post. On the lower left margin, under Related Resources, you'll find links for firmware and Users' Guides.

3.00(BDQ.2)C0 is the latest firmware on the site.

The IPv6 configuration walk-throughs begin on page 45 of the User's Guide. An example setup for Prefix Delegation is on page 49.

Thanks for pointing me in the right spot..
NetDog

NetDog to posthaste

Premium Member

to posthaste
Ok quick update..

Found the "How-To" video on the DHCPv6-PD setup, really nice..

So it looks like the PD address is getting to the device, but the DHCP request/ACK is got an issue. The CMTS is not injecting the PD route to the device. I have emailed the ZyXEL team with the issue.
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk to posthaste

to posthaste
said by posthaste:

. Kind of depressing as I read a Comcast thread here where everyone is posting about how IPv6 is working with their cheap, consumer grade routers (e.g., D-Link, Netgear).

Ya, it's pretty frustrating. I have a Cisco RV042G with non-functioning IPv6 PD. Comcast has been working with Cisco on that one, too. But, not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon.

So, a ZyWall USG was my top alternative. Glad I found this thread before I wasted any more money.

Hopefully one of them can get their act together. Thanks to the folks from Comcast that are working directly with these companies.
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

Look into getting an P2812HNU or P2612HNU or P2601HN I got those they all do PD quite nicely

I got them running at home, with 2 different ISP's now, it was just plug in an enable more or less
voiptalk
join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
MikroTik RB750G
Cisco DPC3941

voiptalk

said by JPedroT:

Look into getting an P2812HNU or P2612HNU or P2601HN I got those they all do PD quite nicely

They appear to all be ADSL CPE. No?

Not going to be of any use on Comcast cable.
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

The 2812 and 2612 got ethernet wan ports also. And a throughput of about 960Mbps in my ftp test.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to voiptalk

Premium Member

to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

Ya, it's pretty frustrating. I have a Cisco RV042G with non-functioning IPv6 PD. Comcast has been working with Cisco on that one, too. But, not holding my breath for a fix anytime soon.

I would not hold my breath as well, but I have been asking for a fix along with a weekly meeting with Cisco. I am really hopeful...